Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM

347 posts, read 1,094,963 times

Advertisements

My son is 6 yrs old, and uses a booster seat, that has a backrest too. He really wants to ride in the front now that he's a big boy... Can he? He is 4 feet tall... I see from google searches that it is about 12 yrs in many states, but I've seen a lot of younger children in front seats of cars, not just the no-cab trucks, so I am confused. So, thought I'd ask everyone their opinion, what they do/did.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 AM

30 posts, read 165,587 times
For us, we wait until our kids are 12yrs old.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,808 times
In both of our cars above the visor it says 12. When, we lived in SC, it was 4 foot 9 and so many pounds, I can't remember.

If you want to know for sure you can call or visit your Department of Transportation.

I have seen SOOOO many children in front seats of cars and without car seats in the back. The parents are taking a huge chance. I guess one I am not willing to take with my kids, plus its against the law. I do not need a ticket.

One of the concerns is because of the airbags in cars, I think is why the 12 year limit. I believe the airbag can hurt a small child.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
See

http://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...sit-front.html

Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 37,798 times
For sure you should not have him ride in the front if you can not turn the airbag off. I have a 6 year old girl that wants to ride in the front also, Mommy says no I say its ok as long as the aribag is off. The airbag can break the neck of a small child when the child comes foward and hits the bag on the forehead because they are not tall enough. The back is the safest because they are protected from objects that can penetrate the windsheild or in the unlikly event that the belt has some slack and child hits the dash. Honstly its the statistics, they are safer in the back! I think the age shouldnt matter of being able to ride in the front or not, it should be the size of the child. If looking from the front of the vehicle with your eyes level to the hood, have your child sit in the front seat. If you can see their chin from your veiw I would say they are ok on the size to sit in the front. Again the safest place is in the back and your local laws will ultimately decide for you.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
In our home, we waited until 12. Not worth the risk....They griped but they survived.....

Old 07-31-2009, 08:21 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,982,205 times
The law in some states is 12, and the law of physics is the same everywhere... so my kids will sit in the back until they are at least 12 or 13!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,551,616 times

Old 08-01-2009, 12:57 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
The law in some states is 12, and the law of physics is the same everywhere... so my kids will sit in the back until they are at least 12 or 13!
Ditto that along with the appropriate car seats and boosters. Mine are 16 months old and still riding RF which I will try to keep doing until they are at least 2 yrs old.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 AM

304 posts, read 1,326,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
In both of our cars above the visor it says 12. When, we lived in SC, it was 4 foot 9 and so many pounds, I can't remember.

If you want to know for sure you can call or visit your Department of Transportation.

I have seen SOOOO many children in front seats of cars and without car seats in the back. The parents are taking a huge chance. I guess one I am not willing to take with my kids, plus its against the law. I do not need a ticket.

One of the concerns is because of the airbags in cars, I think is why the 12 year limit. I believe the airbag can hurt a small child.

I agree with everyone on here and also this. I have heard the statistic and a number above 100 pounds, so it is not just the height, you might have a string bean...I know my 10 year old is almost to this height requirement, but at 75 pounds a collission with the airbag would crush his internal organs because the airbag is not meant to support people of less than adult proportions. Don't take a chance, it's not worth it to appease the wishes of a child for a ride that could end their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting