Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:50 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
True, but with all of those children how much are they paying in taxes? I highly doubt that they are not claiming those kids on their tax returns. If you claim yourself or your kids on your tax returns, then you're getting help from the government. I'm not saying it's wrong but is what it is.
Well. I don't even know what to say to that. That's life. My husband makes a very modest income, and we manage to live on it. Therefore, we get a large tax refund every year. I would not imagine telling someone that they should not have children because their tax writeoffs will be too great.

I guess you could say that anyone who drives on the roads or who sends their kids to public school are also getting help from the government. And anyone who goes to the library, or who has ever had to use the fire department's services, or had to call the police....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
That woman must be loose! D:
Actually, I think the first baby does the most damage in the nether regions... I don't think it matters much how many more kids you have once the way has been paved, so to speak.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megafoxy View Post
Come on people it was only a joke.

But if I offended anyone, well fine, I'm sorry!
I love that you apologized

I guess it's not a big deal. I just remember boys saying things like this about girls in highschool. It didn't make sense to me then or now. But, if you say you meant it as a joke, then that is what it is

Old 02-01-2009, 05:09 AM

110 posts, read 97,478 times
I'm afraid if they are going to have more kids at the age over 40,the mother may have problems.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:18 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krislati View Post
I can't help but feel sorry for the older girls in particular, they are the ones taking care of younger children. I happened to be watching the show where they were planning for Josh and Anna's wedding, the girls drove to Flordia with him. The younger kids were going crazy, the father stated something like how are we going to hadle this with girls gone, and Josh stated he needed to get the girls back to help out. I am not trying to put down the Duggars, I watch the show, and think the children are well behaved. But for the love....it is not the responsiblity of those girls to get home and take care of the children, they are children themselves....
I thought the same thing. The father actually said it was like when the older ones were little. So basically they do not parent their younger children. Why have them then?
In the next episode when the go to feed some animal the soy one the girls and they put this info on the screen. "Joyanna at age 11 has changed more diapers than the average father of 4". She is kid not a slave. I am curious how much real "homeschooling" is going on specially of the girls.

The mother to me looks older that she is. All those pregnancies have taken a toll on her body.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I thought the same thing. The father actually said it was like when the older ones were little. So basically they do not parent their younger children. Why have them then?
In the next episode when the go to feed some animal the soy one the girls and they put this info on the screen. "Joyanna at age 11 has changed more diapers than the average father of 4". She is kid not a slave. I am curious how much real "homeschooling" is going on specially of the girls.

The mother to me looks older that she is. All those pregnancies have taken a toll on her body.
I agree. I don't think it is fair to the older kids to make them raise the younger ones. I'm sure it builds character, but they didn't ask for this. I will be interested to see if they all follow in their parents footsteps, or if some decide not to have any kids all together! I noticed Josh and his new wife vowed during their wedding to leave the number and spacing of their kids up to God. If all 18 do that, that's 324 grand kids! If those 324 each had 18, that's 5832 kids!!!! I've also wondered about the home schooling. How can you teach that many kids of all different grade levels at the same time?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 PM

I just read their book "Duggars: 20 and Counting" or something like that. I recommend it if you are interested in this family... there's quite a bit more in the book than there is in the shows about their lives.

As far as homeschooling, that part does not seem impossible to me... Everyone can learn the same types of things but on different levels. You don't HAVE to learn US History in 7th grade, for example... you can teach some of the 4th graders on up to 9th or 10th graders wtih the same material and just go into it in more depth for the older kids. As they become proficient readers, kids also are more self-sufficient as far as homeschooling goes, and the older ones can help the younger ones. It's just a one-room schoolhouse!

Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
From what I recall, there is a ceiling on how many children you can claim on your tax returns and I think its 4 but I don't remember for sure.

I have watched their show but I don't allow my daughter to. I believe this religion is very patriarchal as are many who advocate having so many children. Do a little sociological research and keeping your women pregnant and at home helped men keep them under control.

Their blind adherance to their faith to the extent that they literally have 18 children is something I think of as bizarre to the extreme. Their ideas about courting are interesting because I agree that young people myself included go to far long before they are commited but I think they take that too the extreme as well.

One good thing you can say about them is they row their own boat, they aren't on welfare and they have no mortgage.

I have a 12 year old daughter, I would be heartbroken if she married someone who lead her to live their life this way. There is so much in the world to see, I hope for her that she waits to have a child like I did, waits to tie her life to another and enjoys her independence while she is young. Being married is not the end all be all, being single with the world as your oyster is a wonderful thing. Settling down in your 30s and thinking about children then I believe is the better path to take.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
From what I recall, there is a ceiling on how many children you can claim on your tax returns and I think its 4 but I don't remember for sure.

I have watched their show but I don't allow my daughter to. I believe this religion is very patriarchal as are many who advocate having so many children. Do a little sociological research and keeping your women pregnant and at home helped men keep them under control.

Their blind adherance to their faith to the extent that they literally have 18 children is something I think of as bizarre to the extreme. Their ideas about courting are interesting because I agree that young people myself included go to far long before they are commited but I think they take that too the extreme as well.

One good thing you can say about them is they row their own boat, they aren't on welfare and they have no mortgage.

I have a 12 year old daughter, I would be heartbroken if she married someone who lead her to live their life this way. There is so much in the world to see, I hope for her that she waits to have a child like I did, waits to tie her life to another and enjoys her independence while she is young. Being married is not the end all be all, being single with the world as your oyster is a wonderful thing. Settling down in your 30s and thinking about children then I believe is the better path to take.
I agree. During Josh's wedding episode, the girls father said something about transferring control (maybe another word was used. I'm not sure) of his daughter from himself to her new husband. What? What century is this? I think of a marriage as a partnership.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,969 times
Congratulations and good luck to them! They'll need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting