Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:19 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of this thread last week when the schools were closed because of the cold. One day, all the districts closed. The next day all but one closed (the biggest one and probably the poorest). People will complain no matter happens. Parents complained that our schools were closed unnecessarily. People in DPS complained that their schools didn't close! The DPS spokesperson said it was because so many kids are on free lunches. It might be their only meal that day, and they wanted to make sure it was available. Makes perfect sense to me, but there were still complainers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
It depends on the area, in Montana, everyone goes to school when it is cold, but the schools are warm and mostly indoors. In Vegas, if it was cold, it would not be appropriate for kids to go to school, the schools are not built for extreme cold temps. But I would not make my kids walk to school when it was below 0...

Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Our schools close when it gets below -20 I think. (I am not sure what the temp break point is). If the school is open, yes we make our kids go to school. We will usually drive them to the bus stop and wia tutil the bus comes (or just drive them to school).

Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I was thinking of this thread last week when the schools were closed because of the cold. One day, all the districts closed. The next day all but one closed (the biggest one and probably the poorest). People will complain no matter happens. Parents complained that our schools were closed unnecessarily. People in DPS complained that their schools didn't close! The DPS spokesperson said it was because so many kids are on free lunches. It might be their only meal that day, and they wanted to make sure it was available. Makes perfect sense to me, but there were still complainers.
I think the DPS called it right. They had school, but gave kids an excused absence if the parents chose to keep them home. My own suburban district closed, and there were kids running around the malls, and coming with their parents to the doctor's office where I work all day. If I still had kids in school and the schools were open, I'd send them. You can drive your kids to their bus stop and keep them in the car until the bus comes. Coming home, the 1/2 block or so my kids had to walk is doable in the cold. It's the standing around that's bad.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:52 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times
The only time the schools close around here is when the buses can't get down the streets.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
I don't have children, but i honestly don't think I would send them to school if the weather outside was -15 or more. Does anyone even realize how cold that is? Is them catching a cold really worth attending class?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I don't have children, but i honestly don't think I would send them to school if the weather outside was -15 or more. Does anyone even realize how cold that is? Is them catching a cold really worth attending class?
Aren't colds caused by a virus? Pretty sure I got one last summer when it was closer to 100 degrees out.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
cold weather doesn't cause illness, germs do.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Lived all my life in Michigan. I remember one time when my older kids were young that they called school off when the temps went down below zero. The biggest issue isn't at school because I worked at a school and state law says you can't go outside when it is at a certain temp for cold and hot. It really is the kids who wait for the bus that is a concern. I do think on these days when it is cold and cars don't start that kids shouldn't be marked tardy It is funny they showed this news clip on like CNN today about the cold temps. I think it was shot in Wisconsin, but some kids and they were High school were getting into a car. One didn't have a coat on. I thought great footage to go with the story.

Not wearing a coat in cold weather seems to be the thing with teens nowdays. My kids simply refuse to wear a coat, all they wear is a thin hoodie. Ok, they aren't outside much in the cold weather, the bus stops right in front of our house, they go from heated bus to heated building. but still, on extremely cold days they should bundle up, you never know if the bus will be delayed, break down, etc.

I try to tell them they aren't really feeling the cold when going from one heated area to another, they take the heat with them and aren't outside long enough to really feel the effects. I guess they will have to really be stuck outside one cold day to realize cold is something to respect. Until then, I just plan to keep receipts of all winter gear I've bought my kids they refuse to wear so if social services ever decides to investigate why those poor kids are runnung around dressed inappropriately for the weather, I can prove they are provided for, they refuse to wear winter gear!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
cold weather doesn't cause illness, germs do.

Actually, the incidence of colds drops when the weather gets really cold. They cold air doesn't move around as much (unless windy, of course). the colder air doesn't transmit the cold germs, viruses, etc as much as muggy, humid, warm air can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting