Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Wow, I guess that means I either have to quit my job, or loose my best girl friend then huh? I mean she IS my boss, and she DOES have the authority to "discipline" me, and/or fire me if needed.

It's 2009, not 1952; gossiping is no big deal to us Maybe it's a hellworthy trespass in your home, but in ours we encourage chats and healthy debates and discussions, and occasional gossip. No harm, no foul.
Nothing wrong with the bolded but if by gossip you mean the rehashing of others personal business or making fun of someone than let me set you straight..it is HARMFUL doesn't matter if it's 1852 or 2109 gossip serves no useful purpose
It's no wonder some kids are totally out of control today and when they hit the teen years the parents throw in the towel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about that?

I don't do that and never would.

We are friends. We go shopping together, we plan "girls day outings" together, we do each other's hair and nails, we gossip about her school and stuff; (she has days like that with her Dad too, and they are both glowing and happy at the end of the day, lol!) yet she knows that I am the parent at the end of the day, no matter what. She knows that our (my DH and I) word is law, and she does what she is supposed to do.

She knows we will go to bat for her ANY time (and have twice so far for serious stuff.), but at the same time, she knows we will not hesitate to discipline her in a heartbeat.

I think we actually have a BETTER parental/child relationship due to the fact I treat her like a human, and not a servant/slave/overlord like some parents do.

To each their own I guess, but I do feel like I had to say something about your statement of friend above.

Being a parent does not mean you treat your child like a servant/slave/overlord..being a parent means you PARENT..you guide your children, praise them when deserved and discipline when needed, you know who & what their friends are and what they are doing....at all times....you say NO and have to hear them say what a pain you are or worse yet the I hate you...but when they grow up and say thanks Mom thanks Dad..I wouldn't be where I am if not for you it's all worth it

It's so much easier to be the friend versus the parent..a parent is on duty 24/7 from the time the child is in a cradle until they reach responsible adulthood and it doesn't completely end there either

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
It's 2009, not 1952; gossiping is no big deal to us. Maybe it's a hellworthy trespass in your home, but in ours we encourage chats and healthy debates and discussions, and occasional gossip. No harm, no foul.
Surely you would feel differently if people were gossiping about your DD...no?? Newsflash, gossip is RUDE and inappropriate regardless of the year, you can get reprimanded/fired at your workplace for gossiping about coworkers (not your workplace necessarily but it is common)...surely you don't have to stoop that low to maintain the friendship with your daughter. I have higher standards for my friends and certainly higher standards for my kids!! And if you find my post offensive you shouldn't, it's better than gossiping behind your back and you don't mind that so this is no big deal.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Surely you would feel differently if people were gossiping about your DD...no?? Newsflash, gossip is RUDE and inappropriate regardless of the year, you can get reprimanded/fired at your workplace for gossiping about coworkers (not your workplace necessarily but it is common)...surely you don't have to stoop that low to maintain the friendship with your daughter. I have higher standards for my friends and certainly higher standards for my kids!! And if you find my post offensive you shouldn't, it's better than gossiping behind your back and you don't mind that so this is no big deal.
Apparently you guys are too uptight to understand, no worries.

I am sure they DO gossip about her, but do I care that some parent doesn't like the clothes she wears or the things she likes, NOPE. I can't stop it, I can't change it, no worries.

I see your point NCYank, but if you understood the type of gossip, you wouldn't be as upset. We gossip about her classes, about how her teacher wore this, or so and so wore that, or how her friend is sick, etc... Hardly anything serious like some of you guys are assuming.

And thanks for being polite, and not calling me names or anything like some have.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Your kid is 9 and you treat her like an equal???

Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:

I am sure they DO gossip about her, but do I care that some parent doesn't like the clothes she wears or the things she likes, NOPE. I can't stop it, I can't change it, no worries.

I see your point NCYank, but if you understood the type of gossip, you wouldn't be as upset. We gossip about her classes, about how her teacher wore this, or so and so wore that, or how her friend is sick, etc... Hardly anything serious like some of you guys are assuming.

And thanks for being polite, and not calling me names or anything like some have.
Well that is different..as long as you don't allow her to make fun of how someone dresses....chatting over the days events is a bit different than gossip....gossip is harmful & hurtful

Old 02-04-2009, 01:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:

No, I'm not uptight but when you said gossip....

1. idle talk or rumor, esp. about the personal or private affairs of others, Rumor or talk of a personal, sensational, or intimate nature.

I assumed you knew the definition of the word was not chit chat about how her friend was sick or the teacher wore a pink dress....
My mistake for assuming.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Maybe I'm not wording it correctly, but I think you get my point. How do you view your children, child, or 'friend'?
I like what another poster wrote : They'll have lots of friends in their life, but only one mom & dad.

Balance.

Age appropriateness.

Common sense.

I don't like the reference to mom & dad versus friend. Maybe another way to term it?

We all have the family member or friend who's never laid down the law with their child & etc etc etc etc etc....& vice versa....

I have two toddlers, 3yrs & 1yr...right now, I'm mommy, not a friend. They have those across the street.

But the relationship NOW with my mom is much more friend.

So much of it is in the interpretation of the meaning.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM

10 posts, read 17,428 times
Parents when their young...but you become more of a friend as they get older...depending on their maturity, highschool and college age...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting