Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:00 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,113 times

Advertisements

This school does not believe in homework for the most part. occasionally she will have homework. she is good about doing it (although she will wait til last minute for assignments that she has days to work on). usually about half the time she will forget to turn it in. makes no since to me. right there in her bookbag, the teacher reminds the kids at the beginning of class and then she forgets. With that being said, I personally think things like reading and math should require homework. not a ton but some. 5-15 math problems doesnt take long. there are many kids who think they get it when in class and then get home and cant seem to figure it out.

she had lost everything for awhile. her last report card came up some (2wks ago) so, we have slowly given her a few things back. progress reports come next wk and we will discuss possibly something else back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
As far as thinking that a 75% on a paper is good... if my son gets one problem wrong on his math work, I go over the problem with him, make sure that he understands, and usually have him do one or more similar problems to make sure he really gets what's going on. I remember being in school and getting an 80, which is "good," but the 20% of the questions that I got wrong, I never was told how to do them, encouraged to re-do them, etc.

This is the part of homeschooling that I think we're all enjoying the most right now. We do the material until they've learned it, then we test them when we think they KNOW the material. If they don't get 100%, we continue the lesson. Once they "get it", we administer the test again and enter the 100% results. My kids are so proud to announce that they have a PERFECT average in school.

And no more homework! Once school is finished for the day, it's finished!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:58 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
I basically did this before. she never had any problems until this yr going into middleschool. I dont pack her stuff or organize it. 1-2 x per week I go through her bag with her there and I show her what she is doing wrong/right with organization. I also make her talk to her teachers on her own, and she is responsible for having a piece of paper signed each time she goes in for tutoring or extra instruction. I just dont want her to fall behind or not fully get used to being organized and keeping things together. next yr her grades will really count and I am hoping we will be done with this stage. I think part of the big problem though is that I can talk and teach til i'm blue in the face, but if teachers, staff, and other parents are not saying similar things it makes my job much harder.
Our school has a very low rate of drugs, alcohol, and violence; and a very high rate of graduation which is nice. My main concern which really effects her (but wont my youngest) is that the kids that are average and above average without good self motivation are being left behind. If you are behind they give you everything in the world to help. If your way above average and motivate yourself they have tutoring classes where you can learn new stuff, but no classes for honors, gt, etc. and of course if you are not motivated on your own their is no reason to do so much extra. As long as you pass the TAKS test, and have a D you are pretty much ignored.
I understand your overall concerns, but I just don't see here where you are spending soooo much time. Little to no homework, backpack checks a couple times a week. You might be better off giving her a chart or list to organize and check her own bag and you only do it once a week or once a month once she gets it going.

I'd also get her on a routine of doing some work for each class everyday even if there is no homework assigned. Review the chapter, take notes, find 5-15 math problems to do from the book, read the assigned book (it won't hurt to get ahead). Then it won't seem like such a big deal to do the work when there is homework, she just swaps out her usual studying with the assigned work. It may be that a routine or making a habit will help regulate her study habits overall.

Could it also be that your level of required organization is more than is necessary?? I'm an organized person but I have learned when to back off and leave well enough alone (even if it makes me crazy inside, LOL).

Missing assignments is another issue....I have never been able to understand that kids DO the work and then forget to turn it in. I think you are on the right track by letting her earn back some basic privileges with good study HABITS and being a generally responsible students.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,875 times
My girls drive me insane with homework (Yes I know that is a very short trip but still). I know how to do it so when I try to help them...THAT ISN"T HOW THE TEACHER TOLD THEM to do it. omg Every year it is the same thing. I have finally just given up, now that my youngest is in 6th grade. I tell them you better find your teacher before class or after class to get some help. Our teachers here are pretty good to help them if they need assistance. All of the math teachers stay 30 min to an hour after school for tutoring. I am pretty sure it is in their contract. I hate homework.

ps. The teachers here tell them specifically NOT to work ahead. I don't understand that part. Ours always said it would be fine to work ahead if we want to.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:13 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
ps. The teachers here tell them specifically NOT to work ahead. I don't understand that part. Ours always said it would be fine to work ahead if we want to.
I guess I'm just a rebel. I never listened when my teachers told me not to get ahead and I don't care if the kids get ahead either. The teachers can go suck an egg if they don't like it. DD really NEEDS to get ahead sometimes. She needs to be exposed to the material more than once to really 'get it' sometimes. She can read the chapter at home (even if she doesn't understand it completely) so that when the teacher presents it in class it isn't the first time she's heard it, she knows what questions to ask before she brings home her work to do on her own. Besides, when she does understand it already she likes to be the smarty pants and have all the right answers in class. HA!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:38 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
If you didn't want to "spend time dealing with your kids' education" then you don't have kids! That simple. "Dealing" with their education is a very important part of being a parent.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:36 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
I'm a retired teacher. Here are a few things my husband ( also a retired teacher) and I did with our girls when they were in middle school -- basically, it was right out of what we did in classroom.
1) Get the kids datebooks with enough room to write assignments in. When they get an assignment, they need to write it down and when it is due. We had our girls start the night they got it... it eliminated the "I need it by tomorrow" syndrome. Check for a while... then they will do it themselves.
2) Tell your kids to IMMEDIATELY put a name and HR on every paper/piece of work. A teacher cannot grade and return work if there is no name. I used to put work without names already graded in a box. If a kid got no work back, they had to find it and identify it with other papers ( by having the same writing on other work). They quickly got the idea they would not get a grade if they didn't put a name on.... worked in class and with our girls. When your kid has missing work, it lowers the grade.
3) Find out what your kids need in each class. If they need folders, make a few extra. If it is sneakers and a tee for Phys Ed, they can put an extra set in a locker. Always have extra pencils and pens... being unprepared can mess up organization for teens.
4) Ask your kids specifically what the teacher is teaching. I always gave out a set of rules with grading notations and what I needed (supplies) the first class. I gave out "what we are doing this month" monthly. We taught our girls to ask if they had no clue what was happening. If the teacher didn't answer them, we called and found out.
5) Ask the office if a school grade is mandate. I was mandated to use classwork for 70%, homework for 25%, and other items ( like other work) for 5%. Other was something like a report which was given in front of the class or a project with others ( so no one kid brought the others down). If teachers make the grading system, find out what it is.
6) Don't get totally paranoid about grades. Every kid has some papers they don't do well on. If you do get all bent out of shape, the kids will sense it and maybe give up on the class. It is a general grade overall that is important.
7) Show up at parent/teacher meeting without your child. Ask hard questions and expect answers. Bringing your kid makes it look like you want the teacher to simply praise them in your presence. Some teachers will only tell half the story with kids there.... I still laid out the entire info I wanted to tell and sometimes kids were not so happy about it.

Be involved in school as much as you can... you will get a feel for the school and see the good and bad things

Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

And no more homework! Once school is finished for the day, it's finished!
That is on my "pro" list that I keep in my head regarding homeschooling.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:06 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times
Default Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I guess I'm just a rebel. I never listened when my teachers told me not to get ahead and I don't care if the kids get ahead either. The teachers can go suck an egg if they don't like it. DD really NEEDS to get ahead sometimes. She needs to be exposed to the material more than once to really 'get it' sometimes. She can read the chapter at home (even if she doesn't understand it completely) so that when the teacher presents it in class it isn't the first time she's heard it, she knows what questions to ask before she brings home her work to do on her own. Besides, when she does understand it already she likes to be the smarty pants and have all the right answers in class. HA!!!
A college professor once told me when taking ANY test, read through the entire test first then go back and answer the questions. It was the best advice I had ever received on test taking.

It's like when your trying to remember something and it pops into your head a few minutes later. Sometimes the brain needs a little time to process the information.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If you didn't want to "spend time dealing with your kids' education" then you don't have kids! That simple. "Dealing" with their education is a very important part of being a parent.
That is just a rude and ostentatious remark. I obviously do what needs to be done. Lately I have been feeling a little overwelmed and wondered how many people do what I do. I love my dd with all my heart and do whatever it takes to make sure that she turns into a productive and well rounded adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting