Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

These naughty naughty children! I wonder of you remember the things YOU did when you were young and got away with or got caught and if, in fact, your children did the same things or worse things or not. My children are better than I was by far!

Things I did that my kids have not done (that I know of):

1. Turned a few dozen bees loose in my 5th grade classroom (not caught)
2. Painted the girl's hair that sit in front of me in the 4th grade (caught)
3. Stole the telephone off the Vice Principal's desk in 7th grade (not caught)
4. Set a fire in the trash dumpster outside school (not caught)
5. Put a live Possum in a US mailbox (caught)
6. Took my friends mom's car for a ride when I was 14 with him (not caught)
7. Smoked cigarettes (caught)
8. Smoked marijuana (not caught)
9. Drank beer, wine and liquor (not caught)
10. Had sex (sorta caught because they knew we were but not caught in the act itself)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,866,271 times
Default What naughty things did you do that your kids didn't

This is a really great post....because I was the kid from hell back in "the day". Hmmmm Let me see...where to start!

1. Drew little stick figures all over the wall paper
2. Put peas on the end of my fork and vaulted them onto the ceiling
3. After a hurricane, rode a huge inner tube down a creek that had turned into a raging river then jumped off behind our house
4. Rang doorbells at night in the neighborhood
5. Stole lawn ornaments and got caught when my figer went through a plaster ducks stomach and wouldn't come off.
6. Shoe polished my baby sisters butt with red shoe polish.
7. Forced my baby sisters to climb into overhead cupboards and tell us what we got for Christmas.
8. Jumped on the beds incessantly
9. Rolled in poison ivy so I could stay home from school...I know...dumb but I haven't caught it since.
10. Skipped school and went to the beach
11. At 16 drove to NY City with friends and didn't tell Mom

Nuff said......not such a good kid at all.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
My kids do many of the same kiddish/"bratty" things I used to do, like squabbling with each other, jumping on the beds, etc. They absolutely don't ever cause damage to other people's property or anything like that... I watch them too closely!

All of the "bad" things I did (which were really not that bad... my teenage rebellion was quite lame) I did as a teen, and my kids are 8 and 5, so I can't start gloating yet.

Let's see:

*going to a drinking party when my parents thought I was at the movies
*cheating at school (mostly copying homework, but my parents would have been upset, I'm sure)
*claiming to go to the 4th of July fireworks with a friend and her parents, when it was really with said friend and older boys
*saying that I would not go out driving at night with newly-licensed friends and instead galivanting around town

For the most part, all of the things had one thing in common: Lying.

In my head, I think that my kids will be better supervised than I was, but honestly, the reason that I was not better supervised was because I earned my parents' trust with my excellent (public) behavior. Why would I think to tell my 15 year old that he couldn't go to a movie and then sleep over a friend's house afterwards, if I had no reason to not trust him? And yet this is how kids get into stupid and dangerous situations. I used to think that I had big problems/decisions to make when my kids were babies (breastfeed or not? cloth or disposable diapers? when to introduce strawberries? what about sugar?), and now that they're growing, I can see that the problems only get bigger and more complex. And they're not even into the preteen years yet!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
Hummm.. I really didn't do much compared to all the rest of you. In fact, I guess I was a good child compared to the posts I have ready. We were just to scared to do anything..

However, my poor daughter gave her own self away when she tried to pull anything and always got nailed! She never realized when she was lying to me, she would ALWAYS swing her leg.. I told her after she was grown how I always knew when she was lying..

Old 02-22-2009, 08:57 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
1. Tried to kill my brother because he was so mean (Didn't even put him in the hospital).
2. Almost burned the barn down by lighting bailing twine up and down the wood ladder to the loft (In later years it burned down anyway because my younger brother lit a fire in it.).
3. Always found Christmas presents by searching our parents closet when they weren't home.
4. Cut my sister's hair when no one else was home. She was 5, I was 12.
5. Evesdropped on phone conversations between our neighbor and her friends. Party line.
6. Brother stole our uncle's cigarettes and we smoked them in the barn.
7. Walked about 15 miles home from school on the last day of 8th grade without telling parents.
8. Drove around half the night with friends after band practice in high school and had cops looking for us.

I think doing things to get into trouble when young helps kids grow up knowing where the limits are. Taking risks is an important aspect of development.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
wow.... there isn't room to write all the mischevious things I did

* Set fire to the pine straw my brother and I raked almost burning down the house (caught)
* Painted the inside of the house with oil based paint (caught 7 yo)
* Built a campfire in my room for brother and I to roast marshmellows over (caught)
* put a hole in the wall trying to do the walk up the wall and flip trick (caught 3 years later)
* skipped school (not always caught)
* snuck out of the house at night (not caught)
* cut my brother's hair (caught)

then there are all the other little things.... jumping off the roof with an umbrella (mary poppins style) and sneaking friends/food/misc into my room.... jumping on the bed.... purposfully instigsting my brother... Lord knows what else.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
I think this topic overlaps with the nostalgy topic somewhat ("we biked with no helmets, we drove in the back of trucks") - our children wont' be able to do THAT for sure.

In that vein, I did some things that my kids won't experience but these things were not considered bad or criminal in those times:

- putting nails or other metal objects on the tracks of public tram and hiding in the bushes waiting for them to be squished. The nails turned into wonderful little hot swords.

- exploring any construction sites (nothing was ever fenced off!), jumping from one unfinished cement wall to another at quite heights, crawling through different pipes.

- making fires anywhere - in little parks, in big forests, and cooking potatoes in the hot ashes.

- watching fireworks on roofs of 5- or 9-storeys buildings that didn't have any barriers or eves on them.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:32 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Here's a big one.

My boys will never build and detonate a pipe bomb.

A friend of mine and I learned how to make our own black powder (the recipe is ridiculously simple), cut some 2" galvanized plumbing pipe into 14" sections, threaded the ends with his dad's thread cutter, prepped the threads with pipe dope, capped one end, drilled a hole in the other endpiece large enough to accomodate a length of cannon fuse, packed the pipe section with homemade black powder, pushed the fuse into the powder, screwed the endpiece on, sealed the hole with JB Weld, cut the fuse to about 40" (way too short), repeat. We made three of them. There was a giant concrete storm drain within bike riding distance that was (so we thought) reasonably uninhabited. We placed the first bomb about thirty feet inside the storm drain, lit the fuse and ran like hell. Nothing happened. We waited for about thirty minutes (definitely not long enough) before moving to inspect the bomb. The fuse had operated properly, but no explosion. Hmmm... We debated placing it next to the second bomb to see if we could trigger a secondary explosion that way but decided against and instead emptied the powder onto the ground and placed the second bomb. We lit the fuse and ran like hell, not really expecting this one to work because we felt that the powder recipe was bad. Nonetheless we took refuge on top of the storm drain. Good thing, too. This one went off. It wasn't the "loud firecracker" that I was expecting. This was a real bomb. The concussion felt like getting slapped across the face and knocked us both a little silly. I couldn't hear anything but ringing. We immediately emptied the third bomb and threw the pieces into the woods before fleeing the scene. We weren't bad kids, we were just bored. We understood (to an extent, anyway) that this was a dangerous undertaking and that we could wind up in a lot of trouble. I must admit that the idea of grievous injury or death didn't really occur to me, I thought the worst that could happen would be grounding or confiscation of our raw materials.

Anyway, no bomb building for the boys. There was a time when that would have been looked at as "almost cute" but there is considerably less tolerance for something as ubiquitous and harmless as a boxcutter these days, to say nothing of homemade black powder.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Well being that most of my kids are still growing it's hard to say what I have done and they haven't.

Here is what I think they haven't done that I did: (at least for my two older kids ages 18 and 21)

1) I don't think any of them have rang doorbells and ran away, except for Mayday, when they are leaving a flower basket.

2) Listened in on party lines and/or being rude while listening in on calls. (Kids haven't done this because party lines are now obsolete.)

3) Prank Calls in the middle of the night. (kids can't do it as easily being that most everyone now has caller ID)

4) Drag racing my mom and grandmother's cars. They each had the family versions of muscle cars. (being they were 4 doors instead of 2) But 2 or 4 door, they could still kick butt in 1/2 miles and 1/4 miles. This I know my kids haven't done this.

5) Skinny Dipping. I don't think they have done that.

6) Skipping school and getting drunk.

7) Forging notes after skipping school. (I got caught one time, but the rest of the time I didn't)

8) Having alcohol parties at my house. (some my parents knew about, some they didn't, some they found out about after coming home and finding kids passed out on the floors)

9) Painted tricycle with exterior house paint and used leaves for paint brushes.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:20 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Well...daughter is only 5, so I'll only go that far...(It gets much worse.)

By that age I had already:

Sipped a quantity of lighter fluid ("Bad water!")

Enjoyed the Cod Liver Oil that was given to me by the MD to chase the lighter fluid.

Eaten some sort of pancake form cosmetic...

Had my mouth washed out with soap...though not to remove the pancake form cosmetic.

Fed the dog whiskey.

Cut off all my doll's hair and stripped her nekkid.

Of these, my daughter has only trimmed someone's hair and covered another with staining crayons. I count myself lucky...so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting