Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 04:10 PM

809 posts, read 2,884,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What I meant is that in this litgation happy enviroment we live in, a teacher would have to be NUTS (and yes, nuts is possible!) to hit a kid. Not saying it couldn't happen, but most teachers think twice these days before even raising their voices.

Some people ARE extremely ignorant and let the heat of the moment get the best of them..... so some hot headed people may act before they think........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,667 times
I was working on my teaching certificate. I was in a 7th grade class. I wrote up a boy for instigating a fight. This boy got up in my face and pushed me back when I wouldn't cower to him or back down.

There was a meeting with the mother and the principal. This boy's career choice was to be a drug dealer, his mother said "So what... XX pushed you.... you shouldn't have wrote him up anyway" The principal gave me the option of filing a police report.... I declined. I did tell my principal that I would finish out the semester, but I would not be back. I walked away from teaching.... this one boy crushed any dream I had of being a teacher.

I am sure there are many more instances of a child hitting a teacher than there are of a teacher hiting a child.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,774,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
Some people ARE extremely ignorant and let the heat of the moment get the best of them..... so some hot headed people may act before they think........
True, many people do act before they think. But, I don't think you find too many teachers out there that would actually risk their jobs by doing so.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
The principal gave me the option of filing a police report.... I declined. I did tell my principal that I would finish out the semester, but I would not be back. I walked away from teaching.... this one boy crushed any dream I had of being a teacher.
A shame you gave up so easily. One stupid kid getting in your face crushed your dream? You should have filed a report, if you think the kid was destined to be a drug dealer. Maybe you could have turned him around.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:45 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
A shame you gave up so easily. One stupid kid getting in your face crushed your dream? You should have filed a report, if you think the kid was destined to be a drug dealer. Maybe you could have turned him around.

It is hard to explain. I worked preschool for years before and during college ( I went to night school... Son was small) and I was older than alot of my classmates. I loved being with children, seeing the light when they figured out something, breaking down learning into "bite size" pieces for them.... After that I couldn't find the joy in teaching... It became work.... not a dream any longer. I wan't scared of this boy.... or any other kids for that matter... I was disillusioned. I knew it would be best to walk away before my cynicism effected any children.

This boy was in BEH (behavioral) classes.... he was LD and wasn't a "bad' kid.... he was a product of his home life. I didn't report him because I didn't want to give him a record. I talked it over with the school's councelor.... his lack of a criminal history was the only thing that he had going in his favor.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 PM

99 posts, read 252,741 times
Believe your kid. It is still legal in many states for schools to physically "discipline" children. For information on legality for your situation and what your next steps should be, check out The Center for Effective Discipline

Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
"Teachers Hitting Kids -- And Getting Away With It?"

District 299 Chicago Schools Blog :: Teachers Hitting Kids -- And Getting Away With It?

Old 03-04-2009, 04:59 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
So, what did you do?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceredmom8280 View Post
I am looking for some advice on how to handle a situation about my son saying his teacher smacked him in the face.
One post, no follow up, oh what the hell...

Where did this alleged slap take place?

Were there any witnesses?

Does your kid lie?

Has he had any previous run-ins with this teacher? Other teachers?

If after answering these questions honestly you feel there is even a remote possibility that somebody put their hands on your kid, you've got to err on his side until you find out otherwise. If you find out your kid lied about this, you better get back to square one with a kid like this. Lying is an insidious habit. Once it starts it will never stop, and the lies will only get uglier and more destructive and with much more dire consequences. When a kid lies it is usually a cry for help. What else is going on in your son's life?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,455,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaHR View Post
Believe your kid. It is still legal in many states for schools to physically "discipline" children. For information on legality for your situation and what your next steps should be, check out The Center for Effective Discipline
Well then he should have said "I got the paddle today and THIS (something I did WRONG) is why"....not "my teacher hit me." Bring back discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting