Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,932 times

Advertisements

Oh, you're doing just fine. There is no need to worry about what everyone else is doing or has done. If it's working for you and your daughter is healthy, then it's just fine. You've heard so many different opinions, because there quite simply is no one, right answer. Save your energy for the bigger issues. Best wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:17 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,181 times
I formula fed until 1 then switched to whole milk. After they were both 3 I switched to 2% milk. We have cheese, yogurt, veggies, ect in our home..but very little milk. I don't drink milk but hubby does. He is a 2% guy so we are still drinking it and the girls occasionally drink milk at home. For breakfast and lunch at school they drink milk and juice. For dinner.....we drink.... *GASP* TAP WATER.
Sometimes like this next week is Spring Break....so I will buy milk for the girls then, and maybe some Crystal Light. We will see.

I personally wouldn't worry about it. My husband keeps going on about FRESH whole milk *non pasteurized* being so much better and all that. I told him when I can go out and observe the whole process and see how the farmer cleans his buckets and all that.... I might consider it. Otherwise I don't think so.
Whatever you decide, just remember it isn't a decision that will change your life that much. Don't sweat over it, really. I know everyone wants to do what is best for their baby and when mine were that age I stressed about things like this too. Then I decided to just go with what my Pediatrician recommended. I trusted him.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:29 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady;7872060..

I personally wouldn't worry about it. My husband keeps going on about FRESH whole milk *non pasteurized* being so much better and all that. I told him when I can go out and observe the whole process and see how the farmer cleans his buckets and all that.... I might consider it. Otherwise I don't think so.
ugh - you mean raw milk right? Every time I hear people talk about it I think of the Flannery O'Connor story where the guy gets sick from that.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
ugh - you mean raw milk right? Every time I hear people talk about it I think of the Flannery O'Connor story where the guy gets sick from that.
My brother who's a nutritionist recommends "raw" milk to get the live cultures and something or other. Something helping keep the healthy flora in your tum tum just like probiotics/yogurt. He told me people seldom get sick from it if you know where you are getting it from. He hapens to live minutes from a farm. He also eats raw eggs.I remember him saying it has more omega 3's too.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
I'll stick to yogurt and scrambled eggs thank you very much lol.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
I formula fed until 1 then switched to whole milk. After they were both 3 I switched to 2% milk. We have cheese, yogurt, veggies, ect in our home..but very little milk. I don't drink milk but hubby does. He is a 2% guy so we are still drinking it and the girls occasionally drink milk at home. For breakfast and lunch at school they drink milk and juice. For dinner.....we drink.... *GASP* TAP WATER.
Sometimes like this next week is Spring Break....so I will buy milk for the girls then, and maybe some Crystal Light. We will see.

Whatever you decide, just remember it isn't a decision that will change your life that much. Don't sweat over it, really. I know everyone wants to do what is best for their baby and when mine were that age I stressed about things like this too. Then I decided to just go with what my Pediatrician recommended. I trusted him.
I watched a news special on our local station recently that showed a farm that sold raw milk. Apparently the health and safety standards that they have to meet in order to be able to sell it are FAR greater than the pasteurized stuff on the shelves. They are inspected every 2 weeks instead of only a few times a year, stuff like that.

I've read about the health benefits of raw milk, and we do drink it from time to time. It is just so expensive and hard to come by. Just thought I'd share...

Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
My brother who's a nutritionist recommends "raw" milk to get the live cultures and something or other. Something helping keep the healthy flora in your tum tum just like probiotics/yogurt. He told me people seldom get sick from it if you know where you are getting it from. He hapens to live minutes from a farm. He also eats raw eggs.I remember him saying it has more omega 3's too.
From what I've learned, you have a better chance from getting sick on hot dogs and lunch meat than you do from raw milk.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I'll stick to yogurt and scrambled eggs thank you very much lol.

I agree. I only drink it when I go to my brother's in Maine. I have had it a couple of times at the "compost pile" meetings in our neighborhood. The group that started the club eat ALL raw foods.

I've also heard that Goat's milk is better. I remember reading that their milk is from actual "lactation" meant for their babies??? Where cow's lactate more often and are sometimes forced to lactate longer and more often with hormones? I don't claim to know too much about this. I have tired it. It's too expensive for me. My own milk is free

So if I DO give my child cow's milk, is it whole or 2% or what? I read in my baby book (from 2004) that it was whole milk. Then the Ped told me 2%. But this is the same ped who told me that 1 year was a good time to ween and start on milk

Like I said, I'm not comfortable giving my young child the milk of another animal. But she HAS tasted it and seems to like it and it's inevitable she will drink it as she gets older

Old 03-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
From what I've learned, you have a better chance from getting sick on hot dogs and lunch meat than you do from raw milk.

For sure!!! Same with eggs. It's pretty hard to get sick from raw eggs. Don't get me wrong, I still wash my hands for a long time in hot water when handling raw foods, but it's nothing to freak out about. Hot dogs and lunch meat are terrible foods for anyone but most of all pregnant/lactating women and children for sure.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,979 times
My ped said whole. Just from adieting and working my milk addiction into a healthy lifestyle perspective...there's not much difference in the 2% and whole. Whole has 8 grams of fat per serving and 2% has 5 grams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting