Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times

Advertisements

I switched mine from whole to 2% at age 2 or 3, I don't remember... but when we were visiting friends in Germany, they purchased whole organic milk "for the children," who were ages 4 and 6 at the time. Of course I didn't say anything about it, but the mother in the family made a point to say "the green carton is whole milk, because of course you would not want to give your children lowfat milk!" She bought lowfat (I don't know if it was 1% or what) for the adults for our coffee.

We don't really drink milk here... occasionally my daughter will have some, but it tends to constipate her, so I try to discourage her from drinking it. We will have it in cereal and in coffee, though. I usually buy whole, sometimes 2%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
I have heard whole milk til age 2. Skim is recommended above age 2 but I have to have 1%. And shhhhhh, I drink half and half in my coffee. I go through just under a quart a week, yikes! Its an addiction.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:42 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I have heard whole milk til age 2. Skim is recommended above age 2 but I have to have 1%. And shhhhhh, I drink half and half in my coffee. I go through just under a quart a week, yikes! Its an addiction.

I think I heard it this way more than any other. So if I nurse my baby until 2 years old, she should drink 1% after that???

I like skim myself for like cereal, but keep a quart of whole for sweets! YUMMMMY

Old 03-13-2009, 08:12 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I think I heard it this way more than any other. So if I nurse my baby until 2 years old, she should drink 1% after that???

I like skim myself for like cereal, but keep a quart of whole for sweets! YUMMMMY
I think you'd be ok with that. It is my understanding that they need the whole for the fat (brain development and growth). But I would think that after 2, they are getting good fat from other sources where milk wouldn't have to be a major source of it. I, while not being the healthiest person I know, don't like to give a lot of artificial stuff to my girls and am trying to head off family history weight issues by teaching good "everything in moderation" habits now, so my 3 year old gets real butter, cheese, sour cream, etc. I look at it since she's getting the fats she may need from those things, 2%-skim isn't going to hurt her.

Whole milk is my crack.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:31 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,181 times
What I was referring to is a person who they know from the community that don't have their equipment inspected. "Selling on the side" I guess is how you would describe it. Around here....in the country, some people sell milk and eggs on the side to make some extra money.
Prob not alot of money..just 5-10 bucks here and there. I would be afraid it wouldn't be safe cause not inspected. Now if it were inspected I think it would be fine.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:00 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
I wouldn't worry too much about uninspected fresh farm eggs. When I lived in Florida, there was an organic farm that sold eggs. They sold them the day they were laid.

Uninspected raw milk... if it's a family who is drinking the milk themselves, then I'd think that they would have good sanitation practices in place. I guess it would depend on how I knew them. Close friends, sure. Some stranger on the side of the road, no.

You do realize that the food inspection practices in the USA are pretty much a joke, right?

Old 03-14-2009, 11:53 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about uninspected fresh farm eggs. When I lived in Florida, there was an organic farm that sold eggs. They sold them the day they were laid.

Uninspected raw milk... if it's a family who is drinking the milk themselves, then I'd think that they would have good sanitation practices in place. I guess it would depend on how I knew them. Close friends, sure. Some stranger on the side of the road, no.

You do realize that the food inspection practices in the USA are pretty much a joke, right?

We eat the eggs we raise on my mom's farm all the time..np. BUT I have a "friend" that only collects her eggs 3 times a week..or less. I think that can be quite dangerous and just have decided to pass. Someone that I knew was doing it right... then I wouldn't hesitate.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,902,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post

At that point, she could just drink skim milk, provided she was also getting enough of a balanced diet that she didn't need the extra fat that comes in 1%, 2%, or whole milk (most kids really do NOT need a higher fat milk than skim milk after the age of 2...).

Old 03-18-2009, 03:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,927,780 times
Humans don't need to drink cow's milk at all. If your child still needs milk at all, then breastmilk will meet that need without any supplementation from cow's milk. My ped told me that as long as my dd was nursing at least X times per day then she didn't need cow's milk. Unfortunately, I don't remember how many times X was... Now that she is only nursing infrequently, she does drink cow's milk. Most kids can switch from whole cow's milk to 2% or less fat milk at age 2, but our ped still has her on whole milk because she is low on the growth charts, so that advice is not universal.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 PM

9 posts, read 31,916 times
Human milk for baby humans. Cow's milk for baby cows. Keep breastfeeding. When she's weaned, if she's thirsty give her water. For 'fats'- avocados, nuts(nut butters for little ones, mine love almond and sun); for Vitamin D - get that from going outside and being in the sun; for calcium- citrus and dark leafy greens are excellent sources. My kids will eat *any*thing mixed with rice. Green beans, broccoli, spinach, kale. There's no *need* for humans to ever consume the milk from another species (aside from medical situations where formula is needed for infants (>2% of situations- if some Scandinavian countries can have 98% BF rates at 1 year, we can too))

Last edited by kellismelli; 03-18-2009 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting