Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times

Advertisements

I have had conflicting info in all directions with this subject. My parents, my daugther's ped, my chiro, my brother who's a nutritionist, WIC, LeLeche League. . . . .

My daughter is 1 year and still nursing 3 or 4 times a day. I know that formula fed babies start cow's milk at 1 year. But what about breastfed babies? She's IS getting milk from ME right? So there is no need for her to drink from a cow?

I cook with it and mix the occasional soy milk/water combo together for her. She drinks water and sometimes orange or prune water mix.

I'm assuming that the cow's milk is for the calcium, vitamin d and FAT right?

So if the same amount of calcium can be found in green leafy veggies and soy milk (which have way more vitamins than cow's milk anyhow) and the cottage cheese and yogurt we eat, and we eat fish and suppliment with d, and there is fat in MY milk and the fish/eggs we eat, is there need for cow's milk NOW? Later?

What have you done with your children/family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
My son was on formula before a year, so he started cow's milk at a year.

My daughter was breastfed past toddlerhood, and we didn't offer her cow's milk until she was around 2. No reason, when she was getting species-appropriate milk straight from the tap.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,196 times
Your logic is correct. No need for cow milk if she is getting milk already. My youngest recently weaned at about 14-15 mos and had either breastmilk or milk-based formula until he was weaned.

In fact, I regret moving him to cow's milk at 15 mos because, after being able to eat dairy products and milk-based formula with no problem til then, he developed a milk allergy after starting on whole cow's milk. He can have yogurt (real yogurt with cultures) but any other dairy item gives him a facial and diaper rash. This did not happen with any of my other kids, so I am sure its fairly rare, but my opinion is that there is no reason to introduce cow milk if you have an equivalent or better-than-equivalent fluid, which you do in the breastmilk.

Mine now gets his calcium and fat from whole-milk yogurt and calcium and vitamin D from Rice Milk, and protein from the yogurt, legumes (including peanut butter), eggs, and some meat. Its doable.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:54 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,979 times
My 3 year old has been drinking cow's milk since she was 1. My 9 month old will get it when she's 1. They were both nursed for 6 months then switched to formula. I like cow's milk. I'm 33 years old and it is hands down my favorite beverage and I drink it with everything. LOL-totally grosses people out. My kids get it because I want it in my house and could develop a twitch if I had to go without it. They've never had any type of reaction to it so we'll keep using it.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 18,094 times
[quote=regarese;7867820] I want it in my house and could develop a twitch if I had to go without it./quote]

LOL you sound like my 10-yr old! I constantly hear :"can I have a glass of milk?". We buy 2-3 gallons at a time.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,979 times
[quote=adma26;7868261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I want it in my house and could develop a twitch if I had to go without it./quote]

LOL you sound like my 10-yr old! I constantly hear :"can I have a glass of milk?". We buy 2-3 gallons at a time.
LOL-so do we. My grandfather used to tease me and tell me he was going to rent a cow when I spent the summer with them.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
If you're still nursing then there is no need to start your child on cow's milk. My dd can't tolerate any dairy. She's still nursing but she also gets calcium from other foods such as spinach and broccoli. If you want to try it, go for it, but there's no real need for it.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:17 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
If you're still nursing then there is no need to start your child on cow's milk. My dd can't tolerate any dairy. She's still nursing but she also gets calcium from other foods such as spinach and broccoli. If you want to try it, go for it, but there's no real need for it.

I didn't think so either

Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I have had conflicting info in all directions with this subject. My parents, my daugther's ped, my chiro, my brother who's a nutritionist, WIC, LeLeche League. . . . .

My daughter is 1 year and still nursing 3 or 4 times a day. I know that formula fed babies start cow's milk at 1 year. But what about breastfed babies? She's IS getting milk from ME right? So there is no need for her to drink from a cow?

I cook with it and mix the occasional soy milk/water combo together for her. She drinks water and sometimes orange or prune water mix.

I'm assuming that the cow's milk is for the calcium, vitamin d and FAT right?

So if the same amount of calcium can be found in green leafy veggies and soy milk (which have way more vitamins than cow's milk anyhow) and the cottage cheese and yogurt we eat, and we eat fish and suppliment with d, and there is fat in MY milk and the fish/eggs we eat, is there need for cow's milk NOW? Later?

What have you done with your children/family?
Breastfed children don't need cow's milk to supplement regardless of age. I just confirmed this with the ped. at my son's 2 year visit today.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
My 3 year old has been drinking cow's milk since she was 1. My 9 month old will get it when she's 1. They were both nursed for 6 months then switched to formula. I like cow's milk. I'm 33 years old and it is hands down my favorite beverage and I drink it with everything. LOL-totally grosses people out. My kids get it because I want it in my house and could develop a twitch if I had to go without it. They've never had any type of reaction to it so we'll keep using it.
That's great! I wish I could drink it more often now, but have gotten used to having it only with cereal and dessert. Mmm, a brownie and a cold, cold glass of milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting