Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:43 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times

Advertisements

We do not plan to charge our children to live here if they are going to college. In fact, we are encouraging our oldest son to consider living here and commuting to school-in this way, he could likely get through school debt-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
If my kids were typical young adults and attending school full time I would not charge them rent. But I would expect them to participate in running the house by helping out with daily household tasks. If an adult child were living at home AFTER I provided a college education for them and they were working I would expect them to pay rent.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:26 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
We do not plan to charge our children to live here if they are going to college. In fact, we are encouraging our oldest son to consider living here and commuting to school-in this way, he could likely get through school debt-free.
That's our plan too for our daughter.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:33 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Default Would you charge college son/daughter while living with you?

Yes and I did. I think it is a good learning experience for you to be paying to stay with your family...not what you want to hear? Sorry. I raised my son alone for the most part and when he turned 16, he had his own phone, his own cable and of course his own space in our apartment. We went to the bank, he got his own checking account and I showed him how to use it..only once and he got it. He paid me VERY little room and board and this was high school. He liked being part of taking care of our little apartment. As my soon went through high school, he played football, was captain of his track team and still worked and maintained everything he had at home. He decided he wanted his own car, so he bought our neighbors car paying her $25.00 a week out of his meager check and still kept up with is other obligations.

After graduation, my son started out going to Wentworth in Boston and stayed there. I didn't want him to work while there because he had to work so hard for his grades...I took on a second job to keep him there. He decided to move home....so, he got a full time job and went to school nights. The anti went up...Now, he paid half our rent, his own phone, his own cable and kicked in for groceries when he could. I still carried him on my insurance but he did pay.

Today, my son is a successful project manager, has a great home, a beautiful wife, nice car and PAID BILLS!! So I don't think the experience of you having to pay to stay at home can do anything but good for you in the long run.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If my kids were typical young adults and attending school full time I would not charge them rent. But I would expect them to participate in running the house by helping out with daily household tasks. If an adult child were living at home AFTER I provided a college education for them and they were working I would expect them to pay rent.
ITA.

Our oldest son goes to college full-time, and lives on campus during the week. On weekends/holidays/breaks/school vacations he lives at home, and works part-time. We do not charge him rent. He has occasional use of our third vehicle, which he shares with our daughter who will also be going away to college next year. (she will be going farther away, so won't be home as often) We buy most of their food, and pay for cable etc., but they buy their own clothes. They will each graduate with about 15k in student debt. Up until college they paid half their car insurance, we pay the rest. Once they graduate college though, they are on their own. If they want to live at home they will be paying rent.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:13 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I'm so happy to hear these replies!

As soon as I started working way back when I paid "rent" to my parents.
I also had to buy most of my school clothes and never ever had a car bought for me.

And as soon as ours started working they paid for their "toys" on their own.

Cell phone? sure but you have to pay for it.
Laptop?
Car? yup you pay for it too.

If and when they went to college, if they worked and went to college full time, no room and board but they still had to pay for their "toys".

This teaches them that life isn't free. It teaches them to realize what they want isn't necessarily what they need.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Free room and board at home, available until they are 21, as long as they are full time students with acceptable grades. Entertainment and fancy toys are on their own dime.
One kid took me up on that, and the other went off to experience 'freedom' at a school far from home. Both seem to be satisfied with their choices. The one at home does her own shopping, cooking, cleaning and laundry, those services are not provided as a part of the deal she gets.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Of course not. Unless they earn enough money themselves to pay their entire cost of going to college. I would certainly never ask them to take out a college loan in order to pay ME!

A college student is still a son or daughter for whom parents are responsible for the support, until they are in a position to support themselves.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 PM

146 posts, read 437,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Yes and I did. I think it is a good learning experience for you to be paying to stay with your family...not what you want to hear? Sorry.
Wrong Pamela...I think its fair I atleast get the chance to answer?

Ok, having read ALL the posts a bit more info about me: Im 21, in school and work part-time but make a significant amount of money. I dont have a curfew like others have stated, in part because my profession requires me to be out late at night especially weekends. I also enjoy clubbing and my parents would rather me come home at 3 am than to go home with a stranger from the nightclub

Let see, I buy most of groceries however dinner is always prepared so I mostly cook lunch and brunch. I was living ALONE for a year and a half but was getting lonely and wanted to be closer to my family who was half-way across the country. So I know what its like to have to pay rent. I got into a bit of a jam (debt) and needed to take some time away and work on myself. I dont do as much cleaning around the house as I used to since there is other relatives/siblings here and frankly I dont give a **** about cleaning up after someone else except for myself, courtesy of living alone for so many months....

I see its half and half, some would and some wouldnt charge for rent. Im not planning on being here forever. I know Im 21 but dont beat me up too bad as I've known people several years my senior living in the nest (which I dont plan on doing!)

Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,017 times
Nothing wrong with living in the nest : ) Where I live, housing is expensive, and we've told our kids (none are adults yet) that they can stay here as long as they wish. I'd rather them stay here for a couple years after school and save a big down payment on a home, than spend all their $ on some crappy apartment (even nasty ones are expensive here). They were with us as we struggled with housing for most of their lives-we actually just bought our 'home'. Of course, when they are adults, it will be their choice and maybe some of them will want to be out sooner, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting