Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:19 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times

Advertisements

good point Stormy night. When I see those, I either distract the kids, or change the channel. What a sad testimony to our society that these commercials are on at all times during the day, no matter the channel or program. I think the one that got me the worst was the "Chubby Santa" enzyte one. They're all digusting, but that was so much more...wrong. ugh.
I still AM bothered by the commercials showing the kids being terrible though.
What happened to the cute little jangle commercials, were they could be annoying, but not anything to be offended by? sigh....Oh wait, these are just more reasons we dont watch a lot of tv in our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Are you all kidding? You're upset by silly, mindless commercials and NOT ONE OF YOU has said anything about the Enzyte commercials advertising male enhancement at 5:30pm every day, or that and the others advertising all day on Sundays, or the lubricating jelly advertised all during the weeks before Valentine's day all seductively suggesting sexual encounters while the kids are playing on the floor in front of the father, or all the drug commercials that try to lure people into drug use.

Unbelieveable.
There are a lot of commercials that make me absolutely mortified that someone even thought they were remotely good advertising campaigns. But I think this post is more about the commercials that show spoiled rotten, braty kids who's parents don't have an once of brain matter to teach them anything but disrespect.

We could start a whole nother thread in another forum that discusses the horrible commercials on air or have been on the air. The ones that still stick in my craw, that hasn't been on for many years, was the old Massengil commercials. You know the ones where mom just so happens to carry around this little dou$che just in case her daughter asks her if she has "ever had that not so fresh feeling?"

I'm also digusted with Levi's commercials. Their ads have absolutely nothing to do with the product. I also agree whole heartedly about those disgusting Enzyte commercials.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:53 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
Oh yes the "nasty" commercials those are getting very ridiculous, the last one I saw was for Extends. It starts out like a normal commercial with a man and a woman and then he starts talking about being larger and lasting longer and how he thought "this could be fun". Not appropriate at all in the middle of the afternoon. Excuse me while I puke.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:26 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
.. But I think this post is more about the commercials that show spoiled rotten, braty kids who's parents don't have an once of brain matter to teach them anything but disrespect.

We could start a whole nother thread in another forum that discusses the horrible commercials on air or have been on the air.
The title is 'Commercials that grind my gears rant'.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
The title is 'Commercials that grind my gears rant'.
That is true.

I think for me it would be easier to name the commercials that don't grind my gears.

Like the Free Credit Report.com ads. I love those commercials, they are so funny and the tunes are catchy little jingles. I also like most of the Geico Gecko commercials.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:01 PM

Just thought of another ad that is absolutely apalling. It is the one where there is some younger women sitting in what looks to be like a fairly nice resturaunt and are talking about some self satisfying gaget, I believe it's made by Trojan, and there is an older woman sitting at a table behind them listening and then tells the younger women where she buys hers.

The Axe commercials are pretty annoying as well.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times
Stupid and gross commercials is the reason I have DVR. You come to love the ability to FF past commercials. The progressive commercial annoys me to no end. That lady grates on my nerves.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
1. Turn off the TV. Throw it out or keep it for special occasions. We have our kids record on the hard disk and then watch between 5pm and when the evening meal starts at 6. Even the 4yo can fast forward the ads.
2. No junk food, sweets, softdrink in the house (Except if its a party & throw out the left overs)
2. Tidy the house (so there is space to play)
3. Kids play games, run in park, wander streets.
4. Sit at the table and eat meals together.
5. Be consistent, strict and loving. Firm and consistent boundaries.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Pediasure commercial. Mom and little daughter are in the grocery store, mom begins suggesting a few things to eat. Princess responds with, "I don't like chicken.", "I don't like broccoli.", "I don't think I like waffles.". Rrrrrrreally. Guess what she'd be eating for dinner in my house? A broccoli, chicken sandwich on toasted waffles. Open wide, little girl.
Heh, when my mother first saw that commercial she just laughed and said, "that was your sister 100% when she was that age."
But yeah, I don't get what's going on with letting kids run the household these days. My mother never planned dinner around what we liked and what we didn't (unless it was a special occasion like our birthday or something). It was "here's dinner, shut up, eat up and if you don't like it then you can sit there and stare at it for an hour and get nothing else." And then we'd have the leftovers the same week (or the day after).

My mother's step sister always had a bad tendency to make dinner and when the kids didn't like it (even if one of the kids didn't like it), she'd make them something special that they would eat. Ridiculous!!!

Some of these commercials though just remind me why I don't want kids of my own. I think I'd be perfectly happy with some nieces and nephews.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,443 times
One commercial that doesn't bother me really, it's just really off-base is (I think) a Purex toilet paper commercial.
The little girl is sitting on the toilet paper package, being scanned through a grocery belt. Way to ignore the "DO NOT LET CHILDREN PLAY ON BELT" sign, Mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting