Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:00 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,468 times

Advertisements

I had my son at 30 and daughter at 31. I was working full time when I had my son - actually came home from work on a Friday late afternoon, getting ready to start my maternity leave a week before my due date. I thought "I will have all this time to get ready"............... I had him the next day!!!

I was planning on going back to work after I had him, but we ended up deciding for me to stay home, so when my daughter was born, I was a stay at home mom. I feel fortunate that we were in a position for me to do that. I went back to work full time when my son was 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
ill be 61 sunday, there is always hope.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
How old were you when you had your first baby?

And also, has anyone had a baby while attending college? Did it make school/the pregnancy more difficult, or was it easy to finish your degree?
I was 23 and in my junior year in college. The first 4 months were rough because his dad couldn't get out of his student apartment and so financially things were out of whack. But I took all online classes so I was able to stay home and we didn't have to worry about daycare. Having the baby actually helped me because it made me manage my time better and I focused more on my studies - before then school was just a place to hang out.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:42 PM

153 posts, read 564,059 times
I was 19 when my first baby was born. Going to college in general is difficult, but then adding in babies/children just make it that much more complicated. But it's certainly possible. I'm juggling 4 kids, working FT and FT school. It's a huge pain, but has to be done.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

546 posts, read 1,679,142 times
I was 22, almost 23 when I had my first. I was done with school at that point so I cant answer the second.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times
I was 26. I was a full time student (still am) and worked full time night shifts up until the last week of my pregnancy, then it was only school for the first couple of months. I went back to work full time nights when my daughter was 3 months and I continue classes now (part time)

The physical aspect for me was not hard. The hard part is juggling/finding time. It is hard to do homework when your little angels are on you 24/7 and you are making dinner, cleaning and trying to get a nap in when he/she does so you can manage an 8-12 hour nightshift.

If you can't handle it, don't do it. You know yourself what you can handle. It definitely is doable

Old 05-14-2009, 02:06 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
I had my first at 30. I waited until I was through with college (all 7 years! ugh! grad school) and had my job for a while before I had kids. I don't think I am the type to be able to have a baby and do college. I admire people who can do it. I worked up until I had my third child then I stayed home full time. The hardest job I've ever had but the most rewarding! I like being my own boss

Old 05-14-2009, 02:22 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
How old were you when you had your first baby?

And also, has anyone had a baby while attending college? Did it make school/the pregnancy more difficult, or was it easy to finish your degree?

My daughter was born when I was 23. I was attending college when I found out I was already in my third trimester. Unfortunately my school was 2hrs away and I just couldn't make the trip every morning and I eventually never went back

I regret it until today but EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON and so she obviously was meant to be here at that time and school obviously was not meant for me back then.

I guess it was my time to be a mom and not a student.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I was 30. I was not in school, but my husband was getting his master's. It was hard to deal with the baby by myself while he wrote his thesis. I was glad when it was over!

Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,633,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
. when I found out I was already in my third trimester.
!! Wow, really? You must have been STUNNED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting