Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times

Advertisements

My favorite gift for baby showers, which could work for a birthday, is to give a red washcloth (so when they skin their knees they don't see the blood and start crying) and a "Boo Boo Bunny" (which is a reusable ice cube that has a soft towel bunny around it and is used for when they need to put ice on an injury). Books are also always great presents. I second the Good Night Moon and also recommend Pat the Bunny. Wooden blocks are nice. If cash is short for your niece you might throw in a big box of diapers or give her a certificate to a discount store so she can buy what she needs.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 09-02-2009 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,673 times
How about a family pass to the zoo or children's museum?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:38 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
A wagon. My parents have bought each one of the 3 grandkids (all girls and all born at the holidays) a wagon. Then my dad LOVES to pull them in it. He can do that for hours and they love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Some type of "push toy" is the first thing that comes to my mind. Or conversely, a "pull toy" where they pull the toy along and it usually makes a little noise as it goes. The one I'm thinking about is called a "corn popper." Corn popper is common, though. Might duplicate with that one, but there are many push/pull toys. Many things out there to choose from, but at age one, those were some that my son really enjoyed it seemed.
I bought one of the convertible ride on/push toys for our great niece for her 1st Christmas. She LOVES it. They have ones for itty bitty ones now so that works great. They can hold onto it as they learn to walk and they love to put their babies on it and push them around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
My daughter loved her "little garden", this is a plastic garden, can fit in corner of family room, small area they can walk around, look in mail box. plant plastic flowers, not clutter.

Books! Books! Good Night Moon, Baby Blue Cat Says "NO" (they LOVE this book, and shout NO on every page!

My kids LOVED the Flower Garden by Little Tikes. They don't make it anymore as I tried to find one for my niece. Those things were AWESOME!!! Mine would sit in it and watch tv and everything. It was sooooo cute. Great toy for the little ones for sure.

Love "Good Night Moon".

Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Books or a Savings Bond.....

Echo the general sentiment of "Goodnight Moon" - that is my traditional baby gift....

Old 09-02-2009, 11:59 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Last 1yo b-day party I went to I asked the mother if she wanted clothes or a toy. Right away she said clothes or even a sippy cups.
I would look into things that she would start using from now on like a step stool, little chairs, plates, cups and silver ware, etc... I am sure as most kids she has way too many toys.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,835 times
I just mailed a package to my friend; her son is celebrating his first birthday on Tuesday.

His room is all decorated in dinosaurs, so I found a really cute t-shirt and pants set at Target that has "Stompy" the dinosaur on it.

I also picked up a copy of "Pokey the Puppy". I loved that book when I was a girl - they can read it to him until he learns to read for himself.

I think it cost me more to mail the presents than it did to buy them - LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting