Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM

809 posts, read 3,570,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I saw a girl working at the local Pets R Us the other day who had more metal in her than my toolbox - ears, lip ring, nose stud, barbell in her neck, etc. Attractive otherwise, and I don't undestand why. I wondered where such people worked now that record stores are disappearing.
I know that girl. Her parents wouldn't let her pierce her ears as a kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM

809 posts, read 3,570,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
If you want your daughter to look like a girl why not have her wear a dress or something pink? For those who think it's OK to pierce a baby's ears, at what age do you start choosing tattoos?
You really jumped off the deep end with that comment.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
What business ?-none
But this is a FORUM OF DISCUSSIONS- all different opinions, which are given when someone asks.
I always am confused when someone is on a forum and takes offense when someones opinion is different then their own. Then they accuse posters of budding into someone business because they have too much time on their hands. Pot meet kettle??? hmmmm,
Isnt it nice we can have the choice to pierce or not to pierce our ears,nose,navels etc etc,,oh wait, the babies dont have a choice do they?
Go back and read your first post and tell me if you have anything to discuss in it.

Let me clear up that confusion for you. It has nothing to do with your having a different opinion. By the above post you went and found something to discuss. See, now its about choice.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Ok...treading lightly.

Personally, I do not agree with piercing a baby's ears, male or female. The idea of hurts now or hurts later...I opine that it should only hurt when the child is knowledgeable and willing to accept the pain.

Worked at a mall in my youth. Having heard a few too many of those wee screaming in terror while being pierced, I couldn't understand...well...NO. Period.
Even the suggestion of a doctor performing the job makes me cringe.

Piercings guns are BAD. I guess they use individual, disposable guns now instead of the same one over again with cartridges...but still...eh.

The piercings will likely be sub-standard in quality because the flesh will continue to grow as the child ages...placement often gets kinda wacky, as I've noticed from little girls with ears done early on. Not always, but often enough.

Anyone that I know who has pierced their daughter's ears has done it to qualify gender. At least that's the explanation I was given. And I didn't lecture then, am not going to lecture.

Now, for me...first holes were done at 12 with one of those horrible guns...second and third holes at 13 were ice cubes and sewing needles...oooh yeah...and after that all the other holes in my body were done by a professional when I got a bit older. Have had many through the years, but now live the simple life, one plug in either ear lobe, one helix...one nostril and the septum.

As to why? I liked the way multiples looked, and specifically in the 80's, it was a time of shoulder-dusting and studs, layers of ornaments.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:16 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,953 times
parents that dress toddlers like hoochies (including earring) are menaces, no matter how cute they think it looks

Old 09-10-2009, 04:39 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Ok...treading lightly.

Personally, I do not agree with piercing a baby's ears, male or female. The idea of hurts now or hurts later...I opine that it should only hurt when the child is knowledgeable and willing to accept the pain.

Worked at a mall in my youth. Having heard a few too many of those wee screaming in terror while being pierced, I couldn't understand...well...NO. Period.
I agree and think it's abuse to pierce a baby. I too wached a toddler get her ears pierced in the mall. It took two people havng to hold her down. That is wrong!

I had my first ones at 13 and my 2nd ones by my college roommate. I loved two and use to love color coordinating my earrings to my outfit. Now that I'm older, I only wear earrings in one, rarely do I put two in.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:44 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
I know that girl. Her parents wouldn't let her pierce her ears as a kid.
Now, I will say that I don't think parents should necessarily make their kids wait until legal adulthood to pierce their ears. I mean, it's up the parent--and more importantly the individual maturity of the specific kid--but I think having it done from let's say adolescence on isn't too early.

Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
And YES.. my son who is 6 has a MOHAWK... so does my husband. (I blame my husband for having a mid life crisis moment for his mohawk). My son occasionally ask for a mohawk when my husband cuts his hair. Sometimes he feel like a hawk.. sometimes he don't. Either way its not hurting or distracting anyone...
I have to say, my husband has long hair and I just love long hair in general (on both genders)... so if I had a kid that's a boy, I'd probably have a hard time cutting it.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
what the HELL does mohawks have to do with anarchy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
You know, I think that I was thinking Mohawks.... Punk... Sex Pistols... anarchy in the USA. A lame attempt at a joke. It was early, that'll be my excuse. :x
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Don't worry I think most got it.
Yep, and I think most of us that got it have a little grey in our mohawks lol.

The song has been in my head since reading the posting.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
You know, I think that I was thinking Mohawks.... Punk... Sex Pistols... anarchy in the USA. A lame attempt at a joke. It was early, that'll be my excuse. :x

Oh, I didn't read the previous posts. All's okay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting