Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 05:55 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I don't understand why you refer to this as entertainment, when the majority of the posters on here who have had their childs ears pierced said they did it for cultural reasons. And then to say that it makes for irresponsible parents is kinda judmental don't you think?
The word "entertainment" here can have two meanings - and I refer to them both. "Entertainment" as in "for your own amusement" or "entertainment" as in "adhering to one's belief (or in this case, cultural) system" I think it's wrong to do this to a child for either reason. And yes, I do think it's irresponsible to modify a child's body for either such reason.

And I reserve the right to my own opinions and to express them in this forum environment. I did not express them in any way intended to attack or demean, but simply to say in a civil manner that I disagree with the action to put unnecessary holes in one's child's body.

We're all expressing opinions and judgements here. It's the manner in which such is expressed that in some cases may be offensive. Disgreement in and of itself is not offensive.

Again - I'm not against ear piercing per se, just strongly against doing it with very young children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 06:43 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Putting holes in your babies ears do not prevent potentially deadly diseases - as immunizations are intended to do. Nor are you healing or repairing something that is broken, hurt, or damaged when you take a perfectly fine and healthy ear lobes and poke holes in them for the sake of artificial ornamentation. I really don't understand what sort of argument or point you're trying to make here... where's the logic?
Here, I'll repeat it.

Some people might think, "That's different ... that's necessary!" but as threads on this forum show, that is definitely a matter of opinion. Surely you have read at least one of the countless posts denouncing vaccines as poison that, at best, weakens the child's immunity system, and, at worst, causes autism, cancer and other conditions.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,282,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The word "entertainment" here can have two meanings - and I refer to them both. "Entertainment" as in "for your own amusement" or "entertainment" as in "adhering to one's belief (or in this case, cultural) system" I think it's wrong to do this to a child for either reason. And yes, I do think it's irresponsible to modify a child's body for either such reason.

And I reserve the right to my own opinions and to express them in this forum environment. I did not express them in any way intended to attack or demean, but simply to say in a civil manner that I disagree with the action to put unnecessary holes in one's child's body.

We're all expressing opinions and judgements here. It's the manner in which such is expressed that in some cases may be offensive. Disgreement in and of itself is not offensive.

Again - I'm not against ear piercing per se, just strongly against doing it with very young children.

There are alot of irresponsible parents in this world, but I would willing to bet that those who pierce their daughters ears do not see themselves as irresponsible. Speaking from a personal level I am not irresponsible and never have been in regards to my children and would resent someone telling me because I made a different choice than they would that I am irresponsible. For someone to insinuate that I am is offensive to me.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Here, I'll repeat it.

Some people might think, "That's different ... that's necessary!" but as threads on this forum show, that is definitely a matter of opinion. Surely you have read at least one of the countless posts denouncing vaccines as poison that, at best, weakens the child's immunity system, and, at worst, causes autism, cancer and other conditions.
But I don't think anyone would call piercing a baby's ears "necessary." Many people think vaccines are medically necessary.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
But I don't think anyone would call piercing a baby's ears "necessary." Many people think vaccines are medically necessary.
I agree. I am just posting out that, as terrible as it sounds, sticking two needles into a little kid is not that big of a deal.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:04 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,630,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I KNOW!!! I saw a kid that couldn't have been older than 4 sporting a full-on mohawk the other day. I mean, what is it, anarchy in the pre-school?
You have to admit, the lil ones with 'hawks are ADORABLE!!!

As for piercing? I did our DD's when she was 3yrs old. She begged for them, and I knew I could; at that age; help her to clean and properly care for them easier than if she was older.

We went down to the studio, and used 16 gauge hypos and gave her standard 16 gauge CBR hoops. MUCH safer, less healing time, less pain, and cleaner piercing than going to the mall and having the holes brutally pushed through.

Going to get them done in a piercing/tattoo studio is much better than the gun.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:09 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
I got my daughters ears pierced at 4 mos. It did not seem like a big deal. I wanted a daughter all my life and we did not get her until I was 50 years old. Now I live in an apartment complex where there is a little boy that looks around 4 and has a tattoo, one pierced ear and a mohawk. Now that really seems excessive to me.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,708,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I got my daughters ears pierced at 4 mos. It did not seem like a big deal. I wanted a daughter all my life and we did not get her until I was 50 years old. Now I live in an apartment complex where there is a little boy that looks around 4 and has a tattoo, one pierced ear and a mohawk. Now that really seems excessive to me.
Who tattoos a toddler? Parent aside, what artist agrees to it? Please tell me that's a Cracker Jacks version...
But then again, I don't even like fake ink on children.

(P.S. depending on where you live, it may be an infraction of the law...not every state forbids tattooing a minor. http://www.aaatattoodirectory.com/ta...egulations.htm)

Last edited by 33458; 09-14-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-14-2009, 10:20 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
There are alot of irresponsible parents in this world, but I would willing to bet that those who pierce their daughters ears do not see themselves as irresponsible. Speaking from a personal level I am not irresponsible and never have been in regards to my children and would resent someone telling me because I made a different choice than they would that I am irresponsible.
There are cultures, the some of the adherents of which are even living in the US, where mutilating the genitalia of young girls, even without anesthetic or clean instruments, is not considered irresponsible but is belived to be "good" for the child. I am not equating the piercing of ears to this, but parents seldom consider themselves irresponsible whatever the range of their actions. Each is free (within the bounds of the law) to do what they consider best for their children, and each is free to their own opinion on the actions of others. I choose to have my daughter vaccinated. You may consider me irresponsible for that. If so, I'll surely not lose sleep over your telling me.

Quote:
For someone to insinuate that I am is offensive to me.
It's an Internet forum. It's nothing to take personally. Get over it. We're all here for fun and to exchange ideas.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM

37 posts, read 108,317 times
Quote:
There are alot of irresponsible parents in this world, but I would willing to bet that those who pierce their daughters ears do not see themselves as irresponsible.
of course they don't that is why they are stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting