Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 830 times

Advertisements

My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in the second grade, she's getting ready to graduate from the 5th grade and head to middle school. She still gets into trouble for talking. She on medication to help her focus doing school hours but sometimes she goes through phases, like this week, where she comes home with a demerit for talking too much. It's frustrating and we've tried anything. I'm open to suggestions from other parents that have this problem. She blames everything and doesn't take responsibility when she gets into trouble. She always start with, "the teacher said that I". I make her restart with "I did...." There are consequences like losing dessert, etc. but I'm concerned about how this will effect her in middle school. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
There are times we all need to "zip it". Like in court, at a wedding, a funeral, etc.

And it is common courtesy to let a person talking, finish what they are saying, and not interrupt them. Or if two people are talking, don't interrupt them.

But then you have kids who can't control themselves and keep quiet. I wouldn't expect instant quietness from a kid, not going to happen! But you can work on this persistently over a long time (years).

Each time they interrupt, say "We are talking, please don't interrupt!" And when finished, say "Now what did you want to say? We are finished talking." (Do that about 1000 times and they will gradually "get it".)

Or maybe have a contest to see how long a kid (or two kids) can be quiet and say nothing. Give some sort of reward if they can last so many minutes. Start out with 2 minutes or something reasonable.

Other than that, just point out to them times when they can talk and times they should be quiet for one reason or another. Keep reminding them... again, and again, and again.

Think of that librarian in school libraries, Shhhhhhhh! (Along with a stern look.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting