Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM

858 posts, read 1,808,461 times

Advertisements

Due to a job change we have to relocate. My daughter was born on September 4th and since where we currently live the cutoff day is Sept 30, she is enrolled for kindergarten. She has been in preschool for 2 years. The problem is that in the new state the cutoff is Sept 1st. They do have a procedure for requesting a waiver, but the application needed to be in by March 15 and by that date we didn't even know we were moving. The only option they offer us is another year of 2 days preschool for her. She's ready and I'm concerned that to delay her she would be bored. Their argument is that is better for her to wait another year without even testing her just because of her birth date.

We are considering other options such as delay our move until she starts kindergarten here so that she would be a transfer student and would stay in the grade she's in. That, of course, implies a financial stretch as my husband is already working the new job so we are paying 2 rents. Private kindergarten is very expensive.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Merjolie8; 04-30-2013 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: phone autoedit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Many schools will move a child ahead if they obviously need it. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM

452 posts, read 898,747 times
Keep her active in other cultural activities. If you can wait without having you or your husband being separated then stay where you are at. If you need to separate just to get her into kindergarten try to see how she feels being away from her dad or you for that period of time. By staying where you are at are you going to have issues with selling a house by delaying, extra housing payment since of being separated.,etc.? Can you even do a transfer student even though the state law mandates the cut off sept 1? Can they allow and exception due to you moving after the cut off date? Too many questions that you need to ask yourself first.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
There's nothing wrong with her being one of the oldest kids in her class rather than one of the youngest, unless you're afraid that she'll be bored. If she waits another year to do kinder, she'll be almost 19 when she graduates from high school and those extra months to mature might prove very valuable. Just something to think about.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
Right now it seems like a very important thing but in the grand scheme of things it really isn't. It certainly would not be worth separating the family for. So what if she repeats kindergarten? it's not like she will miss her best life long buddies and not be able to graduate with friends. I personally would rather have my kids be the older ones in the class rather than the youngest ones. Just think of it as one more year to plan and save for her college fund, another year to mature, a year without too much stress to add to a new location and school. Chill....

Old 04-30-2013, 12:59 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
So, if I understand correctly she has not yet attended Kindergarten, but has been in preschool for 2 years....is that correct?

If so, the only problem you actually have is a mindset that she was going to be going into Kindergarten this next school year and now she will not. If where you lived also had a Sept 1 cutoff you probably wouldn't even be thinking about it in the same way.

Regarding her already having 2 years of preschool, the other kids who barely miss the cut off will have probably already had 2 years as well. They will all be in a Pre-Kindergarten class this next year before going into K the following year. So she will not be the only one.

I think you might be amazed at how many children turn 6 by the time you hit January. Some due to their birthdays falling after the cutoff and some due to being held out a year before starting. She will hardly be the only 6 yr old for most of the school year due to an earlier cut off date.

Also, think about how it will be when she hits high school. If she starts Kindergarten at 4, turning 5, then she will start 9th grade at 13 turning 14 while some will be 15 turning 16. That means some classmates will possibly be dating/driving. She would be starting 12th grade at 16 turning 17 and right alongside 18/19yr olds, which at that point is a large age difference.
So, just something to consider in the long run.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
I'm sure you could find a pre k or Jr k program that is more than 2 days .

Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I agree with most everything that has been said here. Want to comment on this below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
So, if I understand correctly she has not yet attended Kindergarten, but has been in preschool for 2 years....is that correct?

If so, the only problem you actually have is a mindset that she was going to be going into Kindergarten this next school year and now she will not. If where you lived also had a Sept 1 cutoff you probably wouldn't even be thinking about it in the same way.

Regarding her already having 2 years of preschool, the other kids who barely miss the cut off will have probably already had 2 years as well. They will all be in a Pre-Kindergarten class this next year before going into K the following year. So she will not be the only one.

I think you might be amazed at how many children turn 6 by the time you hit January. Some due to their birthdays falling after the cutoff and some due to being held out a year before starting. She will hardly be the only 6 yr old for most of the school year due to an earlier cut off date.

Also, think about how it will be when she hits high school. If she starts Kindergarten at 4, turning 5, then she will start 9th grade at 13 turning 14 while some will be 15 turning 16. That means some classmates will possibly be dating/driving. She would be starting 12th grade at 16 turning 17 and right alongside 18/19yr olds, which at that point is a large age difference.
So, just something to consider in the long run.
We've discussed this issue numerous times. There are pros and cons to starting school earlier or later. High school is its own kind of weird. I wouldn't worry about that right now.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:14 PM

269 posts, read 481,125 times
My neighbors enrolled their daughter in a private K because she missed the cutoff by a couple of days, Dec 1 in our town. She then went on to 1st grade in the public school. Maybe this is an option for you. You know your child best. BTW, the little girl that I mentioned is now is 3rd grade and miles ahead of my many in her class (emotionally and intellectually), I would say her parents made the right decision.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with most everything that has been said here. Want to comment on this below:

We've discussed this issue numerous times. There are pros and cons to starting school earlier or later. High school is its own kind of weird. I wouldn't worry about that right now.
Which is why I said to think about it....many people don't think long term and some of them regret their choices when they get to that point, often saying...I didn't even think about that part.

I have been in child care for over 20 years and have 4 kids of my own, so I've seen lots of different situations and have found there to be parents who regret their earlier choices simply because they didn't think that far in advance. Some started their kids early, some started late and some were held back at a later point. So, I always try to advise thinking about it all before making a choice so early on in their education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting