Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:22 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A queasy stomach often results from a child not having a assignment finished for a class that's coming up. It's easy to tell the teacher you're stomach hurts, you are sent to the school nurse and soon on your way home. Suddenly when the child is home, he/she feels great again and is ready to play.
My 1st grader is pulling this one. The teacher, the nurse, and I are all on the same page about it since we have discussed it. He does not go home unless there is vomiting (or some other indication of illness besides saying "my stomach hurts") b/c the stomachaches do seem to last about 3 min til he gets the urge to play.

OP I am sorry I have no constructive ideas since I stay at home and have said many times that I would have long been fired from a job b/c of my kids' sick days and dr appts. My husband is in the military and is often not around when they are sick and can't take time off for them when he is home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
This is one of the reasons my husband works nights...so someone will be home for our son if he gets sick. I just also happen to be home because I am unemployed but we have yet to sort out what to do when we both work in the day (which we want to so we can have a normal family life again).

We have no friends or family here so we have to deal with it. My son has been sick with a virus almost a week and a half (today is the last day I am keeping him home). It's really hard for working parents. I know my job search is ALWAYS thrown off by school days off/illnesses because when I am home, I am still the primary care giver.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:46 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Find a babysitter, housekeeper, tutor, petsitter, or companion care at Care4hire.com

The above is a pay for site. However, you can run your zipcode in and see if there are available sitters in the area. Another thing, is to run an ad in your local paper.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Eddie Ho -

You have 8 kids they are ALL yours.
Yepper. :)

And thank you, Eddie.

Now, to the OP...not knowing what you do for work, but can you take work home, telecommute...find a sitter (as able) and make-up time after hours? Has your employer offered any solution to this, or are you just getting that look no-one wants to get.
I'm trying to come up with something to keep bossman happy, you gainfully employed and the little one cared for.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:13 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Find a babysitter, housekeeper, tutor, petsitter, or companion care at Care4hire.com

The above is a pay for site. However, you can run your zipcode in and see if there are available sitters in the area. Another thing, is to run an ad in your local paper.
Have you ever used these people? I come and go as I please at work, but if there was ever a time I really had to be at work, this would be very helpful. I'm in the OP's situation. New city with no friends or family.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:11 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
Have you ever used these people? I come and go as I please at work, but if there was ever a time I really had to be at work, this would be very helpful. I'm in the OP's situation. New city with no friends or family.

Nope, but I found that there were more people on there then listed in the paper. I had found a babysitting site some time ago but they did not have enough people to check out in my area or the ones that did had specific requirements. I think that with so many job losses and no hiring there should be more people available. This one seems to. It is one that I am thinking about joining.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:20 PM

551 posts, read 1,574,411 times
Advertise for a college student that has more flexible hours than others and/or get to know your new neighbors and the parents of the other kids in your child's school.

This will happen on a regular basis for the child's school career. Better prepare now.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Here's another thought that just occurred to me. You say you work about 2 hours away from your child's school? Is it possible to request a transfer to a school closer to your work? I know such transfers are allowed in our school district if distance to work is excessive. Check into transfers both within your school district and other districts, just depends on their individual policies.

Of course, that doesn't help much if you still don't have anyone to leave the child with while working, but at least you could get there sooner.

Not to be a thread stealer, but this is one of the reasons I homeschool. Its a long story, but, in addition to other issues, I was constantly at the school for feigned illnesses,teacher/child issues, etc.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2009, 03:44 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Schools have guidelines and if you child has a fever, diarrhea, or some other kids of communicable illness, you are "expected" to get him out of school and keep him from getting the other kids sick! It is selfish of you to give the kid something for the symptoms but not consider the other kids in the class that could get sick.
Ummmm....read my posts! I said they called me because the kid was coughing, but I took him out for awhile, no cough, also, they said he had a fever, but admitted they hadn't taken temp, just assumed he had a fever.

I really think they were being "selfish" by calling me for non-emergency situations, like a fever that wasn't, or a cough that didn't? Also, read my posts, i said you need to follow school guidelines, such as vomiting, diarrhea, fever. Seems the school needs to follow its own guidelines.

Insofar as randomly pulling kids out, no, my son was a bit of a behavioral problem, minor stuff, but they caught on that I lived close by and would pick him up. I repeat, I got tired of picking up a kid that wasn't sick. How is that "shefish?"

Ummm...also I said I would take him to the ped every time they called, I assumed it was something legit. The ped consistently found nothing wrong. So I'm inflicting a sick kid on other people? If doc found nothing wrong, then, I assume nothing was wrong. I finally figured out their little game and called them on it.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
My school district has a health insurance plan that's quit reasonable, something like $20/year for basic coverage during school hours. It includes ambulance and ER visits. I took out that policy, then told them if it was an emergency, take him to the ER, I would meet them there. He has insurance. If its not an emegency, what do they expect me to do? All I could do is pick him up, perhaps give him some tylenol, it got so ridiculous I got the ped to write a standing order to give tylenol, robitussin, pepcid, etc, as indicated, then supplied the nurses office with the medications, when they called just told them to give him tylenol or whatever was indicated and send him back to class. I can't just drop everything and run over there for non life-threatening situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Ummmm....read my posts! I said they called me because the kid was coughing, but I took him out for awhile, no cough, also, they said he had a fever, but admitted they hadn't taken temp, just assumed he had a fever.

I really think they were being "selfish" by calling me for non-emergency situations, like a fever that wasn't, or a cough that didn't? Also, read my posts, i said you need to follow school guidelines, such as vomiting, diarrhea, fever. Seems the school needs to follow its own guidelines.

Insofar as randomly pulling kids out, no, my son was a bit of a behavioral problem, minor stuff, but they caught on that I lived close by and would pick him up. I repeat, I got tired of picking up a kid that wasn't sick. How is that "shefish?"

Ummm...also I said I would take him to the ped every time they called, I assumed it was something legit. The ped consistently found nothing wrong. So I'm inflicting a sick kid on other people? If doc found nothing wrong, then, I assume nothing was wrong. I finally figured out their little game and called them on it.
The post I was responding to is above. If your child needs tylenol or robitussin, I would assume he has a cough and/or a fever. If your child has a fever or a cough, under the school guidelines, he should be taken home so as not to infect the rest of the school. I stand by my post.

I read your other post about the school calling when your kid isn't sick. That's unfortunate. But telling the school to medicate him when he is sick is not acceptable.

There is a lot of area between "not really sick" and "life threatening." It doesn't have to be an emergency for it to be warranted for you to pick him up. If he's contagious, then, yes, I expect you to "drop everything" and go get him. That's what parents do.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 09-20-2009 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting