Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times

Advertisements

sskkc, Deprived: adj.; marked by deprivation esp. of the necessities of life.

Your poor child; growing up thinking that luxuries are necessities of life.

Good luck there. You'll need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
I choose to buy my daughter a name brand doll for her birthday. A doll she has asked specifically for. And some posters feel this will make her a spoiled child that will cause me untold problems in the future. They feel so envious of my child and my desire to give her a gift that will make her happy they make derisive comments on this forum board about that choice - quick to point out that it is not a NECESSITY of life.

Neither is toilet paper. I choose to buy that too, and not as a birthday gift.

And I'll bet your children wish that you would also consider their WANTS instead of just their NEEDS - especially on their birthdays.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 PM

Lol, envious. That's funny.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:53 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
quick to point out that it is not a NECESSITY of life.

And I'll bet your children wish that you would also consider their WANTS instead of just their NEEDS - especially on their birthdays.
For real? Is this serious? What in the heck does TOILET PAPER- which really one cannot be serious in saying it is not a necessity..... What does TOILET PAPER have to do with buying a grossly over priced doll? This was such a load of...... well..... the stuff that you need TOILET PAPER for....

Correct, No child needs a doll that costs $95... I was against my kids actually getting one for THAT reason. I was not a fan of the idea when I found out they were getting it for Christmas from MIL. There is no need for it.... I watch kids walk around the neighborhood with them.... drop them.... Lose a shoe.... one expensive shoe down the tubes....

seriously...... just because my daughter asks for a $95 doll for her birthday does not mean I am going to get it for her. I don't spend $95 on thier birthday gift.... not everyone can go run out and just "consider" what their child WANTS...... give me a break.....all I have to do is set their expectations at the appropriate level.... and say "that is a very expensive gift. Perhaps you can buy that with the money you have in your bank"...... BUT I am so glad my daughter realizes how insane the cost of these dolls are..... even SHE doesn't want to spend her money on it.... and she has one.... she would rather put her money towards the OG Doll.... I am so proud of her for that.....

Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 AM

164 posts, read 298,549 times
I can understand the feeling. I spent $150 on a pocket knife and don't regret my decision.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I started my two daughters (now 5 and 7) off the the Our Generation Dolls that cost between $20 and $30 at a certain big box store..... here is one my youngest has

My oldest has two of these dolls and my youngest has three.... they got them in a 2 year span....

This past Christmas my MIL won a REAL AG Doll in a contest and purchased a second one... the girls got them as gifts for Christmas..... they cannot tell the difference. The girls believe all of the dolls are AG Dolls and to be honest the REAL AG Dolls are not even thier fav dolls.... They each love one of the Our Generation Dolls better.... AND the Our Generation Dolls come with fabulous accessories at an affordable price..... Also, my oldest has a bday close to Christmas and between all the money she got for everything she wanted an AG Doll..... We explained she could order one like she got from her grandmother for $100 or buy three of the Our Generation Dolls..... her eyes bugged out of her head and asked why anyone would order a doll when they could have three at the store! Smart kid!
That's awesome!
These dolls are very cute, and you're right, I would think that no little girl would really know the difference.....

Old 02-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I was hoping to miss the whole American Girl craze, but my dd's friends started reading the books (they're in our school library) and now she wants one. If she still wants one in 6 months (her birthday) then she and I will spend some "girl time" at the local store.

If we couldn't afford it, I'd tell her no - flat out. But we can. I'm not going to deprive my child of something she wants just because others cannot have or do not want something. THAT is stupid.
This is where it started.
Quote:
Verb 1. deprive - take away possessions from someone

THAT is the definition of deprive. I am also NOT going to DEPRIVE my child because others have trouble with reading comprehension.

Quote:
I choose to buy my daughter a name brand doll for her birthday. A doll she has asked specifically for. And some posters feel this will make her a spoiled child that will cause me untold problems in the future. They feel so envious of my child and my desire to give her a gift that will make her happy they make derisive comments on this forum board about that choice - quick to point out that it is not a NECESSITY of life.

So what you're saying is that the doll IS a necessity of life for your daughter? She can't live without it? Wow.

My daughter was quite happy with her last birthday. It was her 16th and she got a laptop. The most expensive gift she has ever received. It is most likely the most expensive gift she will receive for a long time to come.

She is always happy with what she gets as gifts for her birthday, and they are never expensive or many. Her values are not focused on material things. She has never wanted something just because other kids have it. My daughter is an individual.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallitems View Post
yes I agree AG dolls are overpriced, not only you have to pay all that money for the dolls, but then you have to spend more for the clothes, books and accessories. And is crazy, that they are playing with little girl's feelings like that, they are saying take this doll home with you and make her life better as if that was going to change anything in the world. If the company really wants to make a difference this is not the way to do it. Mattel should know better!

It is insanity!!! Plus American Girl has hospital unit with crutches?etc.>LOL>.Omg., No!!

Old 02-17-2010, 01:59 PM

718 posts, read 2,080,065 times
I don't think the Pleasant Company asked anyone's opinion when they began making the dolls....read the back story of this company sometime. If you don't like the dolls and the accessories and the doll stories....don't buy them for your children. If you want to buy a $15k car...wonderful....why is it anyone else's business what people do? A topic of endless, mindless conversation. My granddaughters have lots of AG dolls....so what? They liked them, I bought them. I was glad I could. Move on to something worthwhile.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,233,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
I don't think the Pleasant Company asked anyone's opinion when they began making the dolls....read the back story of this company sometime. If you don't like the dolls and the accessories and the doll stories....don't buy them for your children. If you want to buy a $15k car...wonderful....why is it anyone else's business what people do? A topic of endless, mindless conversation. My granddaughters have lots of AG dolls....so what? They liked them, I bought them. I was glad I could. Move on to something worthwhile.
I agree wholehearteldy...

I have 3 girls, all of them have American Girl dolls....the middle child has several....

Why should anyone else care what we do with our money?? If we can afford to buy them why not???

Apparently we are not alone since the company seems to be doing quite well...

If anyone thinks they are too expensive....simple solution....don't buy one. But please stop congratulating yourself for being so much smarter than those that don't have a problem with purchasing these dolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting