Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I agree wholehearteldy...

I have 3 girls, all of them have American Girl dolls....the middle child has several....

Why should anyone else care what we do with our money?? If we can afford to buy them why not???

Apparently we are not alone since the company seems to be doing quite well...

If anyone thinks they are too expensive....simple solution....don't buy one. But please stop congratulating yourself for being so much smarter than those that don't have a problem with purchasing these dolls.
Exactly! Rep points coming your way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,631 times
Stop dissin the "homeless" doll she teaches kids a great lesson on life about bullies ok!!!!!! AG dolls are expensive but last a long time and everyhting yall just dont get it!

Old 03-27-2010, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,631 times
The "homeless" doll isnt homeless for long actually READ the book people yall are calling people who spend $95 on a doll morons grr u guys make me angry!

Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,130 times
The city of Denver just had the grand opening of the American Girl shop and it was opened with great fanfare. That lovely company sent us the American Girl catalog in the mail and my daughter (who's 7) has declared that she wants one of her own. Apparently, it's not enough to have the $95 doll. An American Girl store also has doll earpiercing, hairstyling and more outfits that you can imagine (at an extra cost of course).

If your kid wants and American Girl doll and you have the money to get her one, go for it. I've never understood other people having an opinion of what other people buy for their kids.

If your daughter gets whatever she wants and you put stuff on your maxed-out credit card so she will "love" you and she treats her stuff like junk and never takes care of anything...the argument for buying her stuff can be made for a $5 doll or a $95 doll and you are dealing with something far more troublesome than a $95 doll.

My daughter MAY get an American Girl doll for Christmas. We don't spend more than $50 for birthday gifts so the price is out of our range until Christmas. She understands the concept of money and knows what our basic budget is so if she wants an American Girl doll for Christmas, she will get one but not much else. Last year, she wanted a fancy dollhouse and we explained to her the same thing...it's expensive so that will be one of the few things under the tree. She was okay with that and still plays with the dollhouse nearly every day. What's the difference between buying her something she loves (and then she only gets a few things) versus buying her a bunch of stuff that she is lukewarm about?

So far, my daughter hasn't asked for a Wii or an IPod (like many of her friends). I know the day is coming but I wonder about all of the "outrage" at the price of these dolls while parents plop down hundreds of dollars on electronics. American Girl dolls are targeted at pre-teens...most of the kids in line at the Grand Opening were between 7-11 years old...same age that kids start getting interested in cell phones and IPods. Those are WAY more expensive than a doll.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,366 times
My daughter received her first AG Doll when she was 6 and she loves that doll still to this day! Then, for her 9th birthday I took her to Atlanta and went to the AG store to buy her another AG doll. She loves her two AG dolls and LOVES the stories that go along with all the dolls. There are worse things in this world for a girl my daughter's age to get invovled in and AG teaches real values and morals to young girls everywhere. I support the company as do many other parents because of the positive messages the company sends.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:47 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
I had never heard of these dolls until this thread.

My DD will be 11 in June, and she has never been into dolls or Barbies or anything like that, so I guess that's why. She's more of an activity kit kinda girl, like a "make your own root beer, or make your own tye dye shirt, or make your own jewelry kit" kinda things.

They are cute though, but not $100+ cute, especially when you can get an almost identical one at the "bullseye" for $22.99.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
My 7 yo daughter has two of these dolls and loves them dearly - She recieved her first for her 4th birthday and her second one last year. They are beautiful dolls and the quality is excellent. They come with beautifully made clothing and a book. I understand that the price may be steep for some but I can't undersatnd the outrage over the cost. Not only do kids these days have high end electronics like netbooks, Ipods etc. but single video game cartridges can cost $60. Don't even get me started on Legos!

Old 03-29-2010, 01:57 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Aww, I'm 24 now, but I remember getting the catalogs in the mail when I was in elementary school, and desperately wanting one of those dolls! I had a made up song I would sing to Samantha, lol.

There is a cheaper version of everything out there. How dare people buy $40 shoes when you can get them for $20 (or $10!). How dare people buy cars with sunroofs when there are cheaper ones without. God forbid someone buys a house with an extra bedroom they don't need!

So long as you are providing the essentials for your family and are planning and saving appropriately for the future, spend your money on anything. I would have loved that little Samantha doll as a child!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I had never heard of these dolls until this thread.

My DD will be 11 in June, and she has never been into dolls or Barbies or anything like that, so I guess that's why. She's more of an activity kit kinda girl, like a "make your own root beer, or make your own tye dye shirt, or make your own jewelry kit" kinda things.

They are cute though, but not $100+ cute, especially when you can get an almost identical one at the "bullseye" for $22.99.
My daughter, now 18, never played much with dolls, either. Aunts and uncles would give her Barbies for her birthday sometimes, and she'd play with them one day and that would be it. Although, one day she had a friend over and suddenly I heard my mother yelling at them (we lived at her house) and I went down the hall to find that the girls had tied Barbies to the ceiling fan paddles with yarn and had the fan going and the Barbies flying around in circles.

But when she was 11, she and her friends suddenly got an interest in these American Girl dolls. I bought her one and so did the mothers of the other three friends she was hanging out with. Since all of the girls also loved horses, we bought them horses for the dolls, but at the "bullseye", too--they were much less expensive than the actual AG horses and accessories. For that time when she was 11 and 12, they got together and played with those dolls more than she ever played with dolls in all the years prior.

Now my daughter's in college and that doll is tucked away with all her accessories in a box, and my daughter wants to keep her to put on display when she has her own place someday or to give to her daughter. She's also been dating the brother of one of her American Girl/horse friends for a few years now, and he still teases her remembering when she used to come over to their house to play with their dolls.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
We have several, my daughter gets them after she reads a series. The amount of historical fiction that she has read is well worth the price tag of the doll. I see people with dozens of stuffed animals and wonder what that's all about?? To each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting