Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times

Advertisements

My point wasn't to YOU personally but that we all have different things; YOUR kids may be perfectly happy with $20 dolls, OTHER kids may not. We ALL have different values for things - if this particular one doesn't make sense to YOU and YOUR family -fine - others may spend $95 on a doll but purchase only used cars ($30K is STILL a lot of money). So what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:00 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
I think that what makes these dolls special are: (and this is only guesses.)
1) they have a story behind them unless the doll is a look like me doll which then makes them specail because they look very similar to your child.
2) they are bigger and easier for younger kids to dress and undress.
3) they are built more like real people and not some top heavy small footed doll that if it were human would not be able to walk without falling over.
4) they are not baby dolls so girls who still like to play with dolls but have outgrown baby dolls play with them.
5) they look similar to porcelian dolls but you can actually play with them instead of sitting on a shelf collecting dust.
6) they are very well made, they have moveable legs, head and arms and stand up alone without being held up by someone or something.

My girls have had numerous dolls over the years. Some were gifts from us and some were gifts from others. Some were bought on a whim and some they even begged for (Bratz dolls come to mind right off) and almost each one of those dolls have ended up in a big pile forgotten about within several months of getting them. They have had everything from full plastic body dolls to soft bodied dolls. Dolls that eat, dolls that open and close their eyes, dolls that wet, dolls that cry and dolls that do absolutely nothing. They have had porcelain dolls and Barbie dolls and dolls with tons of clothes and accessories, but the one doll that they have gotten and has lasted the longest as far as being played with is the AG doll.

I do not really know what it is about the AG dolls, but my girls absolutely love them and they take those dolls practically everywhere. To the movies, to restaraunts, to sleepovers, to play dates, occasionally school, to church, to the park, ...etc. everywhere they can take them, they take them. They hardly took any of their other dolls out of the house.

When I think about all the money that was spent on cheaper dolls and their clothes and accessories we could have bought several AG dolls for each of my girls.

Thanks. I tried to rep you but I couldn't.
How old were your dds when they played with these dolls?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My point wasn't to YOU personally but that we all have different things; YOUR kids may be perfectly happy with $20 dolls, OTHER kids may not. We ALL have different values for things - if this particular one doesn't make sense to YOU and YOUR family -fine - others may spend $95 on a doll but purchase only used cars ($30K is STILL a lot of money). So what?
I joined this discussion because this doll was being compared to a Wii. Also it sounded like the only choice was a $95 doll o no doll.

BTW where do you but these dolls? I have never seen them in a store.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
I'm guessing that you must buy them at certain stores or online...

Wasn't meaning to 'dis you - just trying to make the point that dolls are no different than anything else - frankly, there are a ton of toys out there that I can't believe people spend the amount of money they do on ($200-300 for fake cars for toddlers anyone?) but differences are what makes the world go round I guess!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 7,190 times
yes I agree AG dolls are overpriced, not only you have to pay all that money for the dolls, but then you have to spend more for the clothes, books and accessories. And is crazy, that they are playing with little girl's feelings like that, they are saying take this doll home with you and make her life better as if that was going to change anything in the world. If the company really wants to make a difference this is not the way to do it. Mattel should know better!

Old 10-01-2009, 12:41 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
The dolls and accessories are available via catalog, on-line, or through American Girl stores, which are located in Dallas, Chicago, New York, LA, Atlanta, Boston, and Minneapolis. I took my daughter to the flagship store in Chicago for a girl's celebration weekend earlier this year. We had a wonderful time. It really was a fantastic experience. And, yes, I spent the twenty dollars to have her doll's hair styled.

I agree with maciesmom: the value one does or does not place on an item is individual. My kid could care less about having a Wii, but she loves her AG doll, so the price is worth it to me. Would she have gotten as much enjoyment out of another doll? I don't have any idea. What I do know is that she specifically asked for a Samantha doll, her grandmother was generous enough to buy it for her, and her father and I can afford to purchase the accessories. I don't understand why anyone would make such a big deal about this. Parents indulge their kids' whims all the time. Why the judgment?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 10-01-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,862,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Thanks. I tried to rep you but I couldn't.
How old were your dds when they played with these dolls?
My girls are now 11 and 9 but they got them this past Christmas so they were 10 and 8. They are still playing with the dolls.

I got into making them clothes and am now working on making various accessories like tents, sleeping bags, doll beds, quilts, backpacks, and other furniture. I also got into selling the stuff I make for a lot less than the AG site. The girls have been helping me pick out material and which outfits and such I should make. They are even getting into making things for their dolls as well. My DH is even thinking about helping me make some of the wooden furniture. He hasn't done it yet because work keeps him busy and he's still trying to figure out where to put up shop. (we do not have a garage or an outbuilding of any kind that would work for a wood shop)

The AG dolls have actually brought our family closer together as we are all participating in making things for it. We could have done the same thing for their other dolls, but they weren't all that interested in doing that with them. In fact I did make several things for their other dolls like clothes and a cradle. They loved what I made and all, but they hardly used them because they hardly played with the other dolls.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,303 times
For its part, the American Girl makers told CBS.com that the dolls "offer valuable lessons about life," and it is "disheartened that there has been any confusion over our fictional characters." Although none of the money made by selling the doll goes directly to charity, the doll makers said that "it has given almost $500,000 since 2006 to HomeAid, a national nonprofit group that tries to help the homeless find housing."

Homeless 'American Girl' Doll Gets Attention - Tonic

The homeless doll, Gwen was "unveiled" on January 1st as part of the Girl of Year collection alongside the main character for 2009, Chrissa. The reason she doesn't have any accessories isn't because she was once homeless. She is not the character that the books are centered around. Sonali, Chrissa's other friend that is also available, doesn't have any accessories or outfits either, other than the dress she comes in. If you read the book, Gwen is not currently homeless. She was once homeless but lives in a shelter, and then moves into an apartment with her mother. The homeless factor is only mention on 3 pages of both books. It is an important part of the story but it is not the central focus by any means. These books teach girls about the dangers of bullying, not to mention bring to light the issue of homelessness without being depressing.

If my dd hadn't outgrown AG dolls, I'm sure one would be on her Christmas list. I'm actually missing her AG days and playing w/ her AG dolls and animals w/ her.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:13 PM

484 posts, read 1,585,016 times
I would absolutely spend $95 + on dolls for our children. Two of our daughters (who are 4 and 7) have American Girl dolls, and we plan to get our triplets (who are 2) American Girl dolls when they are old enough. I think they're great for kids, and I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,124,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I joined this discussion because this doll was being compared to a Wii. Also it sounded like the only choice was a $95 doll o no doll.

I don't think anyone was really comparing the doll to a Wii, but more wondering if the people that found it out of the question to pay that amount for a doll would pay it for another "toy" regardless of engineering or design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting