Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
FTR - there are very few jobs/careers that will not benefit from good communications skills - both written and verbal. Not to mention, throughout life we will be required to do something that we may not agree with or understand at the moment. That doesn't mean it's not important. You seem again to want to have your goals handed to you without having to go through the things required to earn them. That indicates a real level of immaturity. Perhaps you are right. You might not be ready for college - or the police academy for that matter. The best thing might be for you to find a job that you are qualified for NOW, with what you have - I assume a HS diploma...Get that then work for awhile. THEN, after a few years, rethink your goals. You might be perfectly happy doing what you are doing - or, you might find that the extra effort required to do something differnent, is worth the time and money to do it. Nothing wrong with either way.
I don't want anything handed to me. I want to be taking my CJ classes. If I am going to be putting my time and effort into something, I rather it be something I feel is very important.

I feel like I am running in circles. I want to get on with life and not be so stuck in this position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Yes I have.
A police report for a juvenile specifically...that is a lot more paperwork than an adult. I went on a ride a long with a deputy, he was a rookie. 2 months on his own.

I helped him write the report and helped him fill out the paperwork for each of the boys. He actually hadn't remembered most the info or was testing me to see how well I could remember things. I actually proof read his paper and helped him out with that.

I am fantastic in english. I am a grammar nut at times and there are numerous english teachers in my family.

I don't need this class. This class isn't doing anything for me.

Then shouldn't english have a capital letter in it?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:50 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
I don't want anything handed to me. I want to be taking my CJ classes. If I am going to be putting my time and effort into something, I rather it be something I feel is very important.

I feel like I am running in circles. I want to get on with life and not be so stuck in this position.
Do you really think that if you were at a 4 yr college it would be any different? 4 yr colleges, require these types of classes also. If you don't want to do anything that YOU feel is "out of scope" you should be looking into a trade school of some kind. Being a police officer requires more than what you have. Either you want it enough to do what is required or you don't. Simple. Again, nothing wrong with that. If you think you are just going to waltz in the PD, assuming you get into the academy and graduate, and be handed a job just because you're you then you will most likely be in for a rude awakening. That is just not how things work. Especially in this economy. I would be doing everything I could to be getting a competitive advantage when it came time for hiring - every class is helpful. We all have to do things, even after we graduate and are employed, that we think are lame. But we suck it up and do it - because we want to continue with our employment or get promoted or whatever. Time to wake up and smell the coffee. There is just no better answer. Drop the class if you want to, or feel it isn't right, but you'll most likely end up taking it later. Instead of stressing about it, why don't you imagine how it's going to help you achieve your goal? Or, even better, put it in a frame of mind as to how it will help you be a great officer - what can you get out of this class that will help you?

Last edited by maciesmom; 10-12-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:

The sentiments of EVERY college student. And every employee half the time. Welcome to life.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
You're being so negative. Shut up and just do it, you'll feel much better afterwards.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:11 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
Have your doctor check you for depression. There is nothing wrong with it, just take some medication to help you deal with life. It may be short term or long term, but you clearly have the signs.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
You're being so negative. Shut up and just do it, you'll feel much better afterwards.

Hahaha! I don't think this whine ass is going to make a good police officer if one course is simple more than can be coped with

Old 10-12-2009, 10:45 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:

I am fantastic in english. I am a grammar nut at times and there are numerous english teachers in my family.

I don't need this class. This class isn't doing anything for me.
So, we can assume that you've comprehended that this is the parenting forum, and that your post does not pertain to a parenting issue?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
So, we can assume that you've comprehended that this is the parenting forum, and that your post does not pertain to a parenting issue?

lol ... good point!

Okay, so you don't need these classes, you know more, yadayadayada

Why not just go let the Chief of Police in your area know that you are ready to start. I mean really... go now while you still know everything!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:57 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I was thinking the same thing re the choice of forums - my take is this:

the OP has mentioned that her dad is not in the picture, her mom is uninvolved or self involved or whatever....If she really wanted advice on her education or career path, she would be in the Education forum...I think honestly, she wants to be parented. The answers may not be what she wants to hear, but they are the same answers I would give my own daughter (who is the same age)...She may take some, all or none of our "words of wisdom" (LOL) but they are at least words of involved and caring parents.....just my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting