Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
If, like my doc did, they say your child doesn't need to see anyone else...RED FLAG...get a second opinion, even if that means going to a Children's Hospital to do it.
I agree with this big time. First step is to see a doc that actually cares about your family's well being.

My youngest 2 kids have had allergy/asthmatic tendencies since they came out. Good grief if I could ever have back the hours of sleep I've missed because they were up at night with this stuff. Lately my son has had a very dry cough. This is uncharacteristic of him because most of the time he gets sick and gets the ick in his lungs. He has on several occasions ended up having to go to the hostpital with pneumonia. It's been different lately though. It's like he gets a tickle in the back of his throat and starts caughing and cant stop.

The solution to their issues when they arrise has always been the same: Breathing treatments using an atomizer with Albuterol (only while symptoms persist). Sometimes during allergy season we have to also use Pulicort in the atomizer daily...which is a steroid.

After a week or so of treatments he's back to normal usually.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:55 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,433 times
The only other thing I can think that causes persistent cough is Valley Fever.

Good luck.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:40 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I agree with this big time. First step is to see a doc that actually cares about your family's well being.

My youngest 2 kids have had allergy/asthmatic tendencies since they came out. Good grief if I could ever have back the hours of sleep I've missed because they were up at night with this stuff. Lately my son has had a very dry cough. This is uncharacteristic of him because most of the time he gets sick and gets the ick in his lungs. He has on several occasions ended up having to go to the hostpital with pneumonia. It's been different lately though. It's like he gets a tickle in the back of his throat and starts caughing and cant stop.

The solution to their issues when they arrise has always been the same: Breathing treatments using an atomizer with Albuterol (only while symptoms persist). Sometimes during allergy season we have to also use Pulicort in the atomizer daily...which is a steroid.

After a week or so of treatments he's back to normal usually.

Pulmicort I should have said.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
Please help. Any one of you had this following experience? My son coughs every day for almost a year, we moved from Hawaii to Utah where the wheather is dry for about a year. I took my son to a doctor and she found nothing wrong with his throat, no infection or anything, no mucus either, it's like a dry cough. I suspect maybe then it could be allergy, but the allergy medicine doesn’t seem to cure the problem either. He doesn’t cough constantly, but couple of times here and there throughout the day. Any experience in this area? Thanks in advance.
We moved from Florida to Colorado (similar in the huge climate difference you went through) and my daughter (age 6) had the exact same thing. Sometimes her cough was so bad that it sounded almost like whooping cough, but most of the time, it was just a try, irritated cough. Turned out it WAS allergies but the first brand of allergy medication (Claritin) didn't solve the problem. We finally found her cure in children's Alavert and we put a humidifier in her room. It took about a month but she doesn't cough at all now. I know allergy meds for kids are expensive, but it just may be that you need to find the right brand.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,398 times
Quote:
Please help. Any one of you had this following experience? My son coughs every day for almost a year, we moved from Hawaii to Utah where the wheather is dry for about a year. I took my son to a doctor and she found nothing wrong with his throat, no infection or anything, no mucus either, it's like a dry cough. I suspect maybe then it could be allergy, but the allergy medicine doesn’t seem to cure the problem either. He doesn’t cough constantly, but couple of times here and there throughout the day. Any experience in this area? Thanks in advance.
My daughter has been coughing for the past 4 years. She started when she was around 2. At first we thought it was croup. But it lasts from around October - May. She's been hospitalized for it b/c sometimes she can't stop coughing.

She's been evaluated and it's not croup. It's not allergies. It's not acid reflux. It's not asthma. There is no obstruction and her windpipe is normal. We've switched houses 3 times, and no change in the cough, so it's not that. There's pretty much no reason. The fact that she does it while deeply asleep shows that it's not just for attention.

Like your son, it's not 24/7, but it is several times/day and sounds horrible. We just let her teachers know about it each year and deal. Cough syrup doesn't help. Good luck. We're still wondering what it is.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,667 times
My son had a cough from 5th through the 8th grade. Many doctor's visits. After test after test and calls from the school nurse to leaving Tussinex for the nurse to administer, it just subsided one day. The doc and I think it is a combination of Son not clearing his throat properly and just growing pains. Son had chronic nosebleeds in preschool from growth spurts where his face basically grew faster than his blood vessels could keep up with. I think Son's body during his coughing time was the same growing pains, only this time in his throat. Think voice changes and such. My son had a "throat" cough, not a deep chest cough, a lot like a dog's bark.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,503,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
My son had a cough from 5th through the 8th grade. Many doctor's visits. After test after test and calls from the school nurse to leaving Tussinex for the nurse to administer, it just subsided one day. The doc and I think it is a combination of Son not clearing his throat properly and just growing pains. Son had chronic nosebleeds in preschool from growth spurts where his face basically grew faster than his blood vessels could keep up with. I think Son's body during his coughing time was the same growing pains, only this time in his throat. Think voice changes and such. My son had a "throat" cough, not a deep chest cough, a lot like a dog's bark.
Did they rule out Pertussis (Whooping Cough)? I ask because my husband and I were vacationing in France a couple years ago and both came home sick. The dog's bark you speak of is exactly what we both sounded like. A trip to the doctor confirmed it was Pertussis and he told us that it is on the rise in both Europe and the U.S. For me it only lasted about 3 weeks, but my husband's case was much much more severe, and to this day he still has an occasional cough attack that sounds ... just like a dog's bark.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,628 times
Default Diet

What has changed in your son's diet since moving from Hawaii? One ingredient I would suspect is Canola Oil. I had a small, annoying cough also, and it was eliminated when I stopped cooking with Canola Oil. Recently I have eliminated hidden Canola Oil in my foods, and my health is improving. Most processed and restaurant food is now cooked in or contains canola, so this will be a lifestyle adjustment, but worth it. There are many scary effects associated with canola oil. It is made from a genetically modified form of the poisonous rapeseed plant.
I might also suggest taking him to an acupuncturist, or a naturopathic doctor. They will consider his diet and overall health in a holistic way. Their philosophy is that a symptom is an outward manifestation of something that needs to be strengthened.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM

218 posts, read 287,828 times
My daughter had the same issue. She was diagnosed with allergies and given medication. The situation improved slightly, but she was still coughing most of the night. She also had slight blackness around her eyes.

About a year later, she started experiencing pain in her lower back and difficulty breathing at times. We took her to several doctors who could not diagnose her condition. When blood tests and x-rays came back negative, they dismissed it as allergies.

Fast forward another year later. One night, she felt tremendous pressure on her chest. She described it as feeling as though a heavy cross was bearing down on her chest. It was scary.

Back to the doctor we went. A new doctor. She did a simple breathing test and diagnosed my daughter with asthma. Exercise induced and allergy induced asthma. The blackness around the eyes and the back pain is associated with asthma. The other doctors should have tested her for asthma. I even asked them if they thought it was a possibility.

She takes claritin and montelukast daily. She uses her inhaler before exercise, sports, or if she is going to be around dogs.

She sleeps at night and feels so much better. She is a new person.

Good luck with your child. I hope you find out what the problem is. If it is asthma, there is a simple breathing test used to diagnose it.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,962 times
Quote:
Did they test him for asthma?

We have one of the highest asthma rates in the world here and what you're describing sounds like it to me. He might need an inhaler and proper management.

Also, a persistent cough can be a symptom of heart problems, even intestinal worms.

I would have him to a second/third/fourth opinion if I were you...immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.