Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM

467 posts, read 984,096 times

Advertisements

What do you do all day besides clean things and/or run errands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
Here is a list of what I do all day:
Laundry
Feeding children meals/cleaning up after the meals
Cooking
Driving to and from school
Entertaining them
Helping with Homework
Driving to and from storytime
Ironing
Grocery shopping weekly
Take kids on trips occasionally
AND
Doing homework and studying as I am a Full Time student at night....

Old 11-17-2009, 10:00 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
When both of my kids are at school (my little one is in part time preschool) I clean (laundry, house, etc), cook, run errands, I volunteer a lot, I try to work out daily, I have regular coffee dates with neighbors, I work in the yard, I walk the dog. I usually have a big project going too, Christmas cards, cleaning out the garage, getting the house painted or something like that.

Oh I also make time to read the paper most mornings and occasionally I spend an hour or two by myself with a good book.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:04 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I work out, volunteer at the school library, take classes, and spend time with friends & family. This week, I'm helping my MIL with a Christmas project. My dad and I are also amateur genealogists, so we collaborate on research a couple times a month. Next year, he and I are planning a trip to the northeast to investigate our Connecticut and Massachusetts family roots.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM

SAHD with not much money, kids are a bit older (5th and 6th grade) most of the volunteer stuff around here seems to be girly or made by women would really just want an excuse to have a gab fest together and men usually aren't overly welcome. So I get bored. Not that much housework to do when you do it everyday and your the only one home all day.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:22 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
breakfast
bathe both kids one at a time
shower if I have time
walk 1st kid to bus stop
make 2nd kid's lunch
drive 2nd to school. It is 9:30 now.
run an errand or go to moms group activity or volunteer in 1st kid's class, or go for a short walk, shower
pick up 1st kid at noon
pick up 2nd kid at 12:30
make lunch for me and 1st kid
play for 45 min-1 hour
homework with 1st kid
read book to 2nd
rest time for at least 1 hour. While the kids rest, I either do housework if i can quietly, return calls, pay bills, check e-mail, watch a DVR show
they get up at about 3:30. give them a snack. I hate this time of the day. sometimes we have swimming lessons, sometimes we play, or they play and I start dinner.

If it is a day when 2nd kid doesn't have preschool we either stay home and catch up on laundry, cleaning; or we go to the park, or something, usually with our moms club.

I worked part time when they were younger and I found it very hard to entertain when they were under 3 years old. It is better, now that they are older and can do more activities. For me personally, I can't stand to spend an entire day at home with them. They go from one activity to the next so quickly, it takes longer to clean up than its worth. I like getting out of the house better.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
SAHD with not much money, kids are a bit older (5th and 6th grade) most of the volunteer stuff around here seems to be girly or made by women would really just want an excuse to have a gab fest together and men usually aren't overly welcome. So I get bored. Not that much housework to do when you do it everyday and your the only one home all day.
exercise or find a hobby?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
exercise or find a hobby?
Ha, I do that. Only takes about 30 minutes to exercise. Hobbys cost money which we don't have anything extra. We live paycheck to paycheck and I haven't been able to find any work at all. Just home all day.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
I homeschool, but if I didn't, I'd do some freelance writing during the day when the kids were in school. Currently, I do it a few nights per week. If there is something you can do at home, then that would solve the money issue as well as keep you occupied.

When we're not doing school, we're at the park (though those days are quickly ending for the season, *sniff*), going to indoor homeschooling get togethers, taking outside classes, going to the library, going to the zoo, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, going for walks, riding bikes, etc. We just joined a new church, but I would do some volunteer work for our old church, and just take the kids with me. It was mostly making copies and cleaning the nursery... nothing that was geared towards a female moreso than a male.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
Ha, I do that. Only takes about 30 minutes to exercise. Hobbys cost money which we don't have anything extra. We live paycheck to paycheck and I haven't been able to find any work at all. Just home all day.
do you belong to a church? Maybe there is some kind of volunteer work to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting