Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 09:02 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I find it interesting that the helmet itself was found not at fault but the company that makes them is at fault for not warning about concussions. Is that correct? Seems to me every parent that allows a child to play football knows about concussions and how dangerous they can be, especially many over a period of time.

Will this change anybody's mind about letting your kids play high school football?

Colo. court finds Riddell negligent in helmet suit - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
That means we should sue a car manufacturer, not because its airbags didn't work, but because they didn't warn us that we could be in an accident.

Everyone is looking for someone with deep pockets to sue when something goes wrong. And we wonder why Congressional Republicans keep trying to get tort reform through .

This never stopped me from letting my kids play sports or do outside activities, whether it's football, riding horses, mountain biking or anything that could get you hurt ( which is about everything.)

What I do think needs to happen is that concussions need to be taken more seriously. Any knock to the head where someone seems dazed, can't remember for a few seconds, is walking around but confused, etc. is a trip to the hospital. No sitting on the sidelines, shaking it off and then going back to play. It just needs to be seen as potentially very serious and dealt with by a doctor immediately..

Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Not only am I amazed that this lawsuit was brought, but that the company was found to be at fault . My son played years and years of football, and the parents had to attend a mandatory meeting before the first practice that went over the risks and warning signs of concussions.

Our court systems are completely out of hand...

Old 04-16-2013, 10:25 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
This is absurd. People see a young person rt, and they react with their emotions. Oh the poor DEAR! Someone needs to PAY. Just absurd.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
The only people at fault here are the parents. I'm sorry, but the chances of them thinking that football was a perfectly safe sport are incredibly low.

If any of my kids want to play football, they're doing it after they leave my house.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I can't believe they won the lawsuit...does that mean we can sue McDonalds for not warning us (when we buy their burgers and fries) of possible clogged arteries?..Does that mean when I buy a swimsuit I should be warned of the possible dangers of drowning?..insane. I feel sorry for the boy and his family, though I don't feel they should have won the case.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:21 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I can't believe they won the lawsuit...does that mean we can sue McDonalds for not warning us (when we buy their burgers and fries) of possible clogged arteries?..Does that mean when I buy a swimsuit I should be warned of the possible dangers of drowning?..insane. I feel sorry for the boy and his family, though I don't feel they should have won the case.
I doubt the majority of people really do understand the risk of concussions.

Every concussion to some extent or another means there is a brain injury aka brain damage. I don't think most people really understand that idea.

People typically say at those things, "Sport X is a contact sport, there is a risk of a concussion." Do you think if they just said instead, "Sport X is a contact sport, there is a risk of brain damage" the same number of people would allow their children to participate? I don't think so.

Risk of brain damage in college football players, even among those without concussions

I would bet many parents think a helmet protects their child from concussions.

Helmets and Mouthguards Don’t Prevent Concussions | TIME.com

Are helmet manufacturers responsible for concussions if they allow people to think their products treat or prevent a damaging medical condition? I think so. Its like all of those advertisements for "supplements" were they are required by law to say "this product not designed to treat or prevent disease..."

Old 04-17-2013, 07:15 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Are helmet manufacturers responsible for concussions if they allow people to think their products treat or prevent a damaging medical condition? I think so. Its like all of those advertisements for "supplements" were they are required by law to say "this product not designed to treat or prevent disease..."
Don't we heard of concussions fairly often when watching pro football? Do these parents think that their kids have better helmets than the NFL issues their players? No amount of safety gear absolutely guarantees safety - otherwise no one would die in car accidents while wearing seat belts. They help, but they don't prevent every bit of harm.

I mean, this smacks of the old McDonald's hot coffee/lady suing issue, and that was ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting