Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

We are not poor, not rich, not hurting but in any event I never have more than 2 pairs of shoes for each kid going at one time. We start off the school year with new shoes and we don't even bother with "church" shoes anymore . But I know some people have 3 or 4 pairs of shoes going at one time. We usually get new ones every 3-4 months or if they wear out. Usually at this age (7) they outgrow them before they wear out.

And how much will you spend for kids shoes? My first kid I bought strideright thinking I just had to have the very best but soon realized what a rip off they were considering how fast kids grow and I would not buy 2nd hand shoes for my kids.
So now I have about a $30-$35 range. Am I in line with most other families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM

174 posts, read 488,191 times
mine have 3-4 each. they are from $10-$60 a pair. my oldest had to have the expensive nikes.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,405 times
it all depends on what you care about- when mine were small they had a pair of tennis shoes and a pair of church shoes but they now are teens my 17 years old daughter has about 10 pairs- and my 15 year old has 2 pair tennis shoes , wallabees, topsiders and sports cleats

Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
When my DS was little Stride Rite was all that would fit him (fat little feet)....I think we were pretty much like you 2 pairs at a time (of "real" shoes - DD would have a variety of cheapo "fun" things - jelly sandals etc). A pair of "school" type shoes and a pair of athletic shoes....DS could sometimes get by with a pair of athletic shoes worn all the time. Until he started sports...cleats, cleats and more cleats...Which is where I'm off to now....shopping for lacrosse cleats....

Old 01-09-2010, 11:28 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Depends on age, needs, personal tastes, personal lifestyle.

While Stride Rite may be pricey, I also have issue w/ the less-than- a -penny -to-make & it shows- overbearing- plastic -smelling shoes sold at WalMart or Target.

I was not into putting shoes on my kids when they were infants (under 12 months). Number #1 starting walking at 9 months, so I got him a good pair of tennis shoes.

There are some great sales at Stride Rite, Kohls, Pennys, and Dilliards. I never buy full price.

My 4 yr old has one pair of tennis shoes and one pair of nice dress shoes that can be used for school. He lives in crocs during the summer which are about $35. Number #2 has the hand me downs from cousins, friends, and his brother.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:31 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
...Which is where I'm off to now....shopping for lacrosse cleats....
The BEST sport EVER! My dh & I played up through the collegiate level. Hope to start coaching next spring

Do you have a Play It Again Sports? Sometimes you can find close to brand new there.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
You mean aside from the hiking boots, snow boots, soccer shoes, football shoes, lacrosse shoes, ballet shoes, gym shoes, etc?

I always started off the new school year with two new shoes per kid. One pair would end up being the dirty shoes, the other pair the clean shoes. As the year progressed and the clean shoes became uglier (stepping in the mud, etc.), I'd buy a new pair of shoes and then that child would have three pairs---two dirty and one clean.

The messiest kid always had the most shoes. The one whose feet were growing the fastest through the school year always had the least shoes. It's a play by ear type thing!

Once old enough to have their own style, they ended up starting off with three shoes per school year--two pair of regular shoes and one pair of tennis shoes for gym. That's because my kids didn't wear tennis shoes for their everyday shoes when they got older.

I never did church shoes or church clothes. Our church isn't formal. Clean clothes are all that's required. We'd buy clothes and dress shoes for special occassions (weddings, funerals, etc.) as needed. They just don't fit into their clothes and shoes long enough to buy them for no reason. This applies more to the boys than girls.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The BEST sport EVER! My dh & I played up through the collegiate level. Hope to start coaching next spring

Do you have a Play It Again Sports? Sometimes you can find close to brand new there.
My son thinks it's the best sport ever. He played almost every sport, but lacrosse won his heart with a passion.

We were excited when real lacrosse shoes became available instead of having to buy soccer or football shoes.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:44 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
My son (13) has one pair of sneakers. I wanted to get him some topsiders but couldn't find one in a reasonable price range ($30) in his size. My daughter (15) mostly wears flip flops in the summer, but has one pair of ballet flats. Any other pairs, she "borrows" mine - usually for formal wear. They used to have more pairs up north due to the change of seasons but in a warmer area, these seem to be fine with them.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
One pair but they can use their old ones if they need to go outside in mud. One pair is all they really need for school and church and play. Who looks at kids' feet or cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting