Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I thought of this thread today, while scanning our local "yard sale" web page. A woman was trying to sell 25 pairs of lightly worn little girl's shoes, all the same size.
Unless you are related to Imogene Marcos I can not imagine any little girl having 25 pairs of shoes at the same time (all the same size). What parent does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 04:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Unless you are related to Imogene Marcos I can not imagine any little girl having 25 pairs of shoes at the same time (all the same size). What parent does that?
Not many....or they have lots of cousins for hand-me-downs. When my daughter was young...I guess she had maybe 5 or so pairs....once her feet stopped growing that number exploded....lol!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,744,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Imelda.

And she had 3000+ pairs of shoes. That is two orders of magnitude more shoes than 25.

And for the record I know lots of kids with that number of shoes. At any given point my daughter had two pairs of sneakers, cleats, a couple of pairs of dressy shoes, a couple of pairs of ballet shoes and tap shoes, a pair of uggs, a pair of rain boots, and problem a number I am forgetting now. Ironically, the dressy shoes were always the cheapest, so I never batted an eye at her wanting red sequined ones when she already had black patent leather, not at $10 a pop. It was the shoes they needed that were more expensive.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:13 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Imelda.

And she had 3000+ pairs of shoes. That is two orders of magnitude more shoes than 25.

And for the record I know lots of kids with that number of shoes. At any given point my daughter had two pairs of sneakers, cleats, a couple of pairs of dressy shoes, a couple of pairs of ballet shoes and tap shoes, a pair of uggs, a pair of rain boots, and problem a number I am forgetting now. Ironically, the dressy shoes were always the cheapest, so I never batted an eye at her wanting red sequined ones when she already had black patent leather, not at $10 a pop. It was the shoes they needed that were more expensive.
Lots of kids? Really? Then I venture to guess you also know plenty of parents with shopaholic tendencies.

It's different when a child needs specialized shoes for different activities. This woman listed 6 pairs of Crocs, in various colors. Judging by the size of the shoe wardrobe, I figured she was about 4 yrs old. At that age, my kids outgrew their shoes every few months.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Imelda.

Thanks, I couldn't remember her first name off the top of my head. And, yes, this wealthy adult did have 3,000 + pairs of shoes but it was unlikely that she outgrew that size in a few months, like a young girl probably does.

It probably depends on the age of the "young girl". Was she a toddler with 25 shoes in the same size, who could outgrow the shoes in 3 months or a 9 or 10 year old "young girl" who needs specialty shoes (ballet, tap, soccer, etc) and probably could wear the same size for 9 months or maybe even a year.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-07-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,918,686 times
Between soccer cleats and running shoes and the oh-so-adorable red sparkly flats that were simply a necessity, my one of my kids has probably had 25 pairs of shoes at some point in their life. (Especially if those 2 for 5 flip flops at Old Navy count!) The number of shoes one's child owns (or lack of, I should say) seems like such an odd thing to feel superior about, but what do I know, I guess...

Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,610,245 times
Snow boots and sneakers in the winter, sneakers and sandals in the summer. Plus soccer or ballet shoes when needed.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
As several posts above state - only as many pairs of shoes as needed. I grew up with only one pair of shoes at all times and when I did track, I just bought track appropriate sneakers I then used all the time. I just don't understand parents that buy a pair for every occasion for young men these days (I am focused upon boys, because I understand girls are expected to have more fashionable footwear; I will not address that in this post - it's a whole other can of worms I don't wish to open up here).

If your son is playing basketball - make his primary shoes appropriate to play basketball in. I don't see that as an issue, but apparently a lot of others do as I have family and friends who buy brand new specialized footwear for nearly every occasion for each of their children. When my son played basketball this year (he's in elementary school), each of his team mates and opponents throughout the season had what appeared to be brand new nike basketball shoes they put on each game. It seemed kind of bizarre considering the 60-100.00 paid for each pair and how the boys were going to get at most 1 season out of them. It's a waste of money and teaches the type of materialism that I just don't follow myself and thus cannot condone for my own kids.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 PM

428 posts, read 487,605 times
My kids' feet seem to grow a mile a minute lately, so it's just one pair of shoes for each at the moment. They do have boots for playing in the mud.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
He is 2. One pair of tennis shoes, one pair of dress shoes, and one pair of Tevas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting