Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Wow I sense a lot of anger from some of the posters here. You guys seem to be projecting your own code of ethics and morality onto kids...yes they are both kids and they both don't know any better. Have you already forgotten how it was when you were their age? What they did wasn't right...but guess what..kids will be kids and expecting adult behaviour from an adolescent is in itself a futile expectation. This fathers actions not only put his daughter at risk but someone else's son.. this is very irresponsible and I would not oppose legal charges.
I agree. They are both kids. But for some reason, because the boy is 16, he gets the blame?

As far as the father's action is concerned I would have him charged with attempted assult/car jacking/kidnapping, you name it. I would even go so far as attempted murder. That is if I couldn't get my hands on him. People fall through ice every year and die. And he used a car to do it. I think he knew what could happen.

And yes, I have kids. In truth, their parents are to blame for this. The dad for not knowing where his daughter is at. The other parents for letting their 16 y/o out so late with a car when he probably has a restricted license due to age.

When are we as parents going to step up and prevent this behavior from the start, instead of justifying our lack of action afterwards? Someone could have been killed. I guess since the boy is older he should have to die? It was all his fault? Some people on this board shouldn't be allowed to reproduce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 12:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
I agree. They are both kids. But for some reason, because the boy is 16, he gets the blame?

As far as the father's action is concerned I would have him charged with attempted assult/car jacking/kidnapping, you name it. I would even go so far as attempted murder. That is if I couldn't get my hands on him. People fall through ice every year and die. And he used a car to do it. I think he knew what could happen.

And yes, I have kids. In truth, their parents are to blame for this. The dad for not knowing where his daughter is at. The other parents for letting their 16 y/o out so late with a car when he probably has a restricted license due to age.

When are we as parents going to step up and prevent this behavior from the start, instead of justifying our lack of action afterwards? Someone could have been killed. I guess since the boy is older he should have to die? It was all his fault? Some people on this board shouldn't be allowed to reproduce
I couldn't agree with you more! And I'm a parent too! (Makes me sick that people question if we're parents simply because we see things differently.)

There is no excuse for what that father did. I hope he is charged with every crime possible and forced to pay 33k even if it causes him to lose his house.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
My daughter was in 8th Grade when she was 14. There is absolutely no way on God's Green Earth that, at that age, she was going to be in the back seat of a spoiled 16-year old's daddy's car at 1:30 AM on a Tuesday morning.

Had it ever happened, there would have been hell to pay.

So it didn't happen.
But she was also 14 when she was in 9th grade too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
He didn't 'drive' the car, he merely parked it a few feet away from where they boy parked it.

I'm not understanding that either. It's like so what they are having sex at 1:30a. What would any of those supporting the actions of that boy do if it was THEIR 14 year old daughter in that situation.

Was YOUR daugther, at 14, permitted to park with a 16 year old boy at 1:30a? Wouldn't you be just a LITTLE upset???

He probably started looking for her a whole lot earlier than that.
I have a 14 year old DD that is a freshman in high school if she were dating a 16 year old sophomore, yes, she would be allowed to go on dates in cars-however not until 1:30 in the morning.

The point I was trying to make is everyone is all over the boy but the GIRL is equally to blame.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:38 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Wow I sense a lot of anger from some of the posters here. You guys seem to be projecting your own code of ethics and morality onto kids...yes they are both kids and they both don't know any better. Have you already forgotten how it was when you were their age? What they did wasn't right...but guess what..kids will be kids and expecting adult behaviour from an adolescent is in itself a futile expectation. This fathers actions not only put his daughter at risk but someone else's son.. this is very irresponsible and I would not oppose legal charges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're not a parent are you?
What does that have to do with anything? I'm a parent and I agree with penguin_kernel. I have both a grown daughter and son, and I think was this man did was stupid and way beyond acceptable.
Handle your own kids however you want but you have no right to lay a hand on someone else unless they are putting you in physical danger. Having sex might have been inappropriate, but it's certainly not life threatening.

The attitude that girls are sweet innocent trusting victims and boys are horny punks, luring girls into their evil traps, just kills me. The little darlings are usually quite willing accomplices in these back seat escapades. Raging hormones don't affect only boys.

If that picture is the kids actual car I hope they do press for attempted murder. Unless the girls dad is some kind of expert he really had no idea whether that ice was sturdy enough to take a car out on. He deliberately and recklessly endangered that boys life, after making sure his daughter was not put in the same potentially dangerous situation of course.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:55 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
MANY 14 yr old girls are not as innocent as people think. The boy is only a few yrs older & girls mature both physicially & mentally on the avg 3 yrs sooner then boys. They both are on the same level (close enough). The father of the girl was stupid for doing what he did & handled the situation totally wrong.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 AM

247 posts, read 380,033 times
IMO, the Dad handled it the wrong way. He should have used his cellphone (if he had one) and called the police and pressed charges against the boy for statutory rape. A child under the age of 15 whether or not the act is consensual, is considered statutory rape.

The Father needs to accept some of the responsibility for his Daughter's actions. As her Father, he should have instilled in her that she is worth more than just her flesh. He should have helped her to develop a positive image of herself, allowing her to establish healthy self-esteem level.

A child that has a poor self-image seeks to find validation from others whether it's sexual or otherwise.

I have a daughter that's 15 and she knows she has worth as a human being. She has a strong sense of self, she knows she's loved, and for that I am thankful. I don't ever think I'll have to be one of those Dad's that has an unwed teen daughter.

Nope. My Xoi is a smart cookie. She's already planning her life. She's just 15 and knows she wants to earn a PhD in Public Policy with a joint JD in Law and a BS in Renewable Energy Engineering.

I can't help but to think this man is one of those Fathers that doesn't talk and/or listen to his kid, he just barks orders.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have a 14 year old DD that is a freshman in high school if she were dating a 16 year old sophomore, yes, she would be allowed to go on dates in cars-however not until 1:30 in the morning.

The point I was trying to make is everyone is all over the boy but the GIRL is equally to blame.
You would allow your 14 year old daughter to go out on dates with a boy who drives? Wow. My daughter wasn't interested in dating at 14, but at 15 she was allowed to have her friend over, go to her friend's house, or be taken to a movie, then picked up by me or her friend's parent.

She's 16 now and is allowed to be in a car with only two of her friends who drive. They are both 18, trustworthy and just friends (no relationship).

As far as the girl being EQUALLY to blame; no. She was not behind the wheel. Had she been 16 and the boy 18 I would still say no. The boy, being older, and her date should have taken responsibility for her as the younger, and his date.

Granted, the father should not have put the boy in danger, but the boy was solely responsible for the events.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
More news about this subject.

Teen's Boyfriend on Thin Ice With Dad ... Literally

An overprotective Michigan father drove his daughter's boyfriend's car onto an icy lake earlier this month and left it there with the young man still inside, police said.

Scott David Sullivan was looking for his daughter at about 1:30 a.m. on Jan. 3 when he spotted her boyfriend's 2010 Dodge Charger parked at a beach near Pleasant Lake, according to West Bloomfield Police Lt. Carl Fuhs. Sullivan looked closer and saw his 14-year-old daughter and her 16-year-old boyfriend together in the backseat. Both teens were fully clothed, police said, but their amorous behavior apparently enraged Sullivan.

Father Allegedly Leaves Teen Stuck on Frozen Lake - AOL News

Old 01-28-2010, 10:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
I know a couple who got a 17 year old boy thrown in jail and labeled a pedophile rapist for getting it on with their 14 year old daughter. The legal charges can work both ways. It might have been better if the father had the boy arrested and charged with rape.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:16 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I know a couple who got a 17 year old boy thrown in jail and labeled a pedophile rapist for getting it on with their 14 year old daughter. The legal charges can work both ways. It might have been better if the father had the boy arrested and charged with rape.
Well, except for the fact that in this case dear old dad found both kids fully clothed when he came upon them....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting