Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 PM

705 posts, read 1,759,530 times

Advertisements

I just read about a 9 year old 4th grader in the Dallas area who apparently hung himself in a school bathroom this past week. How terribly sad.

Friends, family stunned by apparent suicide of 9-year-old at Colony school | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
so sad. I can not even fathom what the family must be going through right now

Old 01-23-2010, 08:50 PM

111 posts, read 265,730 times
My best friend committed suicide with his father's gun when he was 10.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:22 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post

I just read about a 9 year old 4th grader in the Dallas area who apparently hung himself in a school bathroom this past week. How terribly sad.

Friends, family stunned by apparent suicide of 9-year-old at Colony school | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News
I'd bet my last dime it's one of two things: Bullying or screwed up meds.

Very tragic.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'd bet my last dime it's one of two things: Bullying or screwed up meds.

Very tragic.
You are right. This is so terrible. From a different article:

Many now struggle to understand exactly how this happened. Friends and those who knew the boy said that he was often teased. "He was just bullied too much," Blackwell said. "Some of the things that people would say were harsh."

Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
You are right. This is so terrible. From a different article:

Many now struggle to understand exactly how this happened. Friends and those who knew the boy said that he was often teased. "He was just bullied too much," Blackwell said. "Some of the things that people would say were harsh."
Wow. Just sickening.

I don't remember bullying being the epidemic it now is, back when I was in school 40 years ago. I sincerely hope that doesn't mean that I was one of the bullies.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:12 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
When my daughter started jr. high (7th grade, we didn't have "middle school") an assembly was held for the parents letting them know the school was taking a stance against bullying and that the anti-bullying message would be strongly preached and defended throughout the school system, and it was. Maybe more schools have to adopt that approach.

This is terribly sad.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Wow. Just sickening.

I don't remember bullying being the epidemic it now is, back when I was in school 40 years ago. I sincerely hope that doesn't mean that I was one of the bullies.
It was. I was one of those kids who was always picked on and made fun of. It was awful. I can remember vascillating between thinking about stabbing myself while at the same time being afraid that I would.

I'll tell you how much it stays with a kid. When I was in sixth grade, one of the boys decided to choose who was the ugliest girl in the class. It was me, and my "best friend" HAD to relay this information to me, of course.

I left that world behind years ago, but last year I heard that the boy who so elected me dropped dead of a heart attack at the age of 50...and I was glad to hear it. I don't feel great about being happy over someone's death, but when I heard his name that was the first memory that came to mind.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:25 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
We live in the Dallas area. Bullying is a major problem here. My daughter is a victim of it. I have had to fight to get them to do the little they have, even though a policy is written out.

I wonder if the principal at our school will now change her "blame the victim" mentality... but probably not. More than likely, this will be ignored, the bullying aspect swept under the rug.

I hope the kids who were bullying this boy and their parents are at the very least, holding themselves responsible and doing something about their behavior!

Old 01-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We live in the Dallas area. Bullying is a major problem here. My daughter is a victim of it. I have had to fight to get them to do the little they have, even though a policy is written out.

I wonder if the principal at our school will now change her "blame the victim" mentality... but probably not. More than likely, this will be ignored, the bullying aspect swept under the rug.

I hope the kids who were bullying this boy and their parents are at the very least, holding themselves responsible and doing something about their behavior!
So do I. That's at least would be some good that could come out of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting