Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times

Advertisements

Mu daughter had dark/midnight blue eyes as a newborn. She was about 4-5 months old when it was obvious they were going to be brown. At age 3, they are dark brown (same shade as mine).
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,317 times
DH has dark brown eyes. Mine are green. All 5 of mine were born with dark blue eyes that changed over time.

DS 1 has blue eyes.
DS 2 has brown eyes that are changing to green.
DS 3 has bright blue eyes.
DD 1 had light blue eyes until almost 2. Now they are light green like cat eyes.
DD2 has teddy bear brown eyes.

They are all beautiful.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,093 times
My daughter was born with black eyes. No, really. Her eyes were so black that you couldn't distinguish between the iris and the pupil. They are now very dark brown.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
"According to my spouse, if both brown-eyed parents have recessive blue-eyed genes and the child gets the recessive gene from both, the child will be blue-eyed."

This makes sense to me. My spouse and I are both brown. first child was born with dark eyes that you just knew were going to be brown. Second born with lighter grayish eyes and they turned gray blue very early. Both our Moms have blue eyes.

My Dad has hazel, and my bro has grey/gold eyes. There are a lot of hazels on my dad's side and there is also color blindness. which is inherited through the mother's side. Our Son did not turn out to be colorblind thank goodness - beccause my dad is, he could have inherited that.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
According to my spouse, if both brown-eyed parents have recessive blue-eyed genes and the child gets the recessive gene from both, the child will be blue-eyed. Also according to the spouse, two blue-eyed parents cannot have a brown-eyed child (not sure about blue eyed and green eyed parents).
Your spouse is correct. I'm very aware that my sister had a recessive blue eyed gene. I was just making fun of how the eye color turned out in our children.

I do know that green-eyed genes are dominant over blue-eyed genes. No clue how my kids ended up with brown eyes. I only know that it's genetically possible with two parents who have green eyes to have children with brown eyes. My husband having blue eyes makes it a mystery, but the fact green-eyed genes are dominant over blue probably plays a part. Plus, his eyes are a grey blue with the slightest bit of amber specks near the puple so he's probably technically not a true blue eyed person even though his eyes look very blue.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
My son has brown eyes. So do I. My husband has blue-green ones.
Now my brother has brown, his ex-had blue...both of his kids have blue..

My mom has hazel/dad brown.
All of us (3) have brown.

My sister has brown, her husband blue.
3 out of her four kids have brown, the other blue.

My grandmother (paternal) brown eyes, think my grandfather's were blue.
No idea on my mom's side.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 AM

235 posts, read 510,586 times
My husband has brown eyes and I have blue/green eyes. Our older son has dark brown eyes like his Dad. Our second son has hazel colored eyes...more greenish brown. Older son also has darker coloring and hair like his Dad while our second son has blonde hair & fairer complection like me.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,962 times
Oldest child born with almost black eyes which turned to a very pretty brown. Her father has brown eyes and I have blue. Second child started out with bright blue eyes and have stayed that way. His father has blue eyes. Third, forth and fifth children all started out with light blue eyes and now they are a blue green color. Their father also has the blue green eye color that look more green than blue when you take a closer look. From a distance they look blue, if you are standing closer then they look green with blue tint.

When people first see my younger three's eyes they think they are blue, but if you look closer you can see the green tint. Their eyes will look more blue or more green depending on what they wear. My younger child says her eyes are turquoise. All three younger kids and DH all have pale colored eyes so their eyes are soft and subtle. My first, second and myself all have more bright colored eyes that are vivid. However I have noticed that over the years my eyes are not as vivid as they used to be. Same with my mom and grandmother's eyes. They went from bright blue to now more of a paler grey blue.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
However I have noticed that over the years my eyes are not as vivid as they used to be. Same with my mom and grandmother's eyes. They went from bright blue to now more of a paler grey blue.
Do you think it's possible that they just appear less vivid because the rest of your coloring isn't as stark of a contrast to the eyes anymore? What I'm saying is that skin and hair color become less vivid and washed out. Often blue eyes look more vivid on a dark haired person----or someone with very pale skin and hair. These are the people who have the winter or spring coloring. As they age, their hair often isn't as dark because it becomes grey or they dye it lighter to cover the grey. Their coloring isn't as sharp and becomes more a summer fall coloring because hair and skin color become muted.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,772,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
My son is about 2 months old. His eye color is a dark blue/gray color. Maybe midnight blue. Sometimes his eyes look lighter or darker depending on the light. I have brown/green eyes and come from a family with brothers who all have blue eyes. My wife has greenish blue eyes and everyone in her family has the same eye color. Please tell me if your child was born with dark gray/dark blue eyes and what color did their eyes finally turn to. Thank you.
At 2 months you can't know what color eyes the baby will wind up with. The eye color will not lighten, for example, a brown-eyed baby will be a brown-eyed adult, but a blue-eyed baby can wind up with brown eyes.

My little boy started blue with a tinge of green and now has the same hazel eyes as his father, his aunt and his grandmother. There is some sort of family dominance at play, but I have no idea how to do that punnet square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting