Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I can't say my home life contributes. It's just what I do when I'm not working. I love my family but there's really nothing critical I do for them. It's very easy to replace anything I do at home.
Just...wow.

If I saw my life this way I'd be having an existential crisis myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:50 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
With respect to...well, all of us on CD...I would hardly judge the relative mental health of our society by those of us who fritter away down time posting on message boards. As with many relatively solitary employments, it tends to attract a higher-than-average percentage of whackjobs.
That was quite a slam.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
That was quite a slam.
Too bad it's the truth.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Some women are becoming doctors, engineers, and elephant trainers because they want to and would never be happy doing otherwise. Others are where they're happy, but might have been equally so doing something else-- another profession, religious life, staying home or whatever-- but one can rarely do more than one fulltime thing well for a long period of time. Some have gone into the workplace for lack of anything better to do. And a huge percentage are there because of the paycheck. In other words, lots of reasons.

Black and white thinking only works with binary code, not behavioral or social sciences.
This thread is fruitless. Tried to rep but have to spread the love.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Just...wow.

If I saw my life this way I'd be having an existential crisis myself.
HUH? If you can't see putting a dish in the dishwasher as important you'd have a crisis? Sorry, chores are just chores. Next week, it doesn't even matter if I did them this week or not. Doesn't matter who does them either. What I do at home just isn't important in the big scheme of things. Anything that really matters I can do during non work hours just as well as I can during work hours. Work just adds to what I contribute.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
With respect to...well, all of us on CD...I would hardly judge the relative mental health of our society by those of us who fritter away down time posting on message boards. As with many relatively solitary employments, it tends to attract a higher-than-average percentage of whackjobs.
I don't agree. I see way more whackjobs IRL than on line. Most whack jobs can't manage a lifestyle that provides them with a computer and internet access on a regular basis.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The difference is that volunteering at the shelter is for the kids to get some sense of importance in their daily lives. Volunteering in the classroom only provides pride to the parents--and the point of this was to help our kids find the same.
Just wanted to agreee . There is a difference in doing for others and having done for you. Having done for you gives you a false sense of self importance and the idea that others should do for you. Doing for others, is a contribution you make to others and a source of self pride that, hopefully, fosters the desire to continue to contribute to others.

Still thinking the animal shelter will be a good start. Hopefully, it won't net me half a dozen new critters.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:43 AM

Just wanted to post that I'll be offline for a while due to a family crisis. Didn't want anyone to think I've tucked my tail and run. I just won't have much time for posting in the next week or so.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

Originally Posted by Aconite

That was quite a slam.
Just an observation.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
HUH? If you can't see putting a dish in the dishwasher as important you'd have a crisis? Sorry, chores are just chores. Next week, it doesn't even matter if I did them this week or not. Doesn't matter who does them either. What I do at home just isn't important in the big scheme of things. Anything that really matters I can do during non work hours just as well as I can during work hours. Work just adds to what I contribute.
Well, there's the thing, Ivory. Doing dishes is as much the sum part of my life-- ofan at-home parent's job-- as erasing the blackboard (or whiteboard) is of a teacher's.

If you reduce any job down to the tasks involved, pretty much any monkey can be trained to do it. What makes a job well done is the judgment and synthesis of seeing that the tasks are done at the right time, by the right person, and that everyone has what s/he needs to function in an assigned role. In short, someone to orchestrate the goings on of a workplace, a household, a fraternal organization or societal group. And yes, you can probably hire a person to do the synthesizing and oversight, but even with overtime, you won't have seamless continuity.

Some jobs require more hours and more continuity than others. I suppose if it were the case that-- like the old Roseanne Barr joke-- "if they're all still breathing at the end of the day my job is done" it would take far less time and effort. But IME, there's far more to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting