Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have met, during my lifetime, quite a few women that I thought of as "Ageless". That is, they have the comportment and maturity to fit in perfectly and feel comfortable with a person of any age. I would have had no trouble, on the score of age alone, being able to relate intimately to such women, even if they were chronologically much younger than myself. I very quickly found myself ignoring their age, and just accepting them as cultural equals to myself.

So, don't discount the possibility that a very young woman can have "something in common" with a much older man.
If you are referring to my post, I meant teens and much older men. Teens haven't experienced the world on their own yet and do not understand that aspect of living, although 19 may be independent enough for some if they are out on their own.

Kids are so painfully sheltered these days that they don't grow up by the time they are of age. At least not many do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
If you are referring to my post, I meant teens and much older men. Teens haven't experienced the world on their own yet and do not understand that aspect of living, although 19 may be independent enough for some if they are out on their own.

Kids are so painfully sheltered these days that they don't grow up by the time they are of age. At least not many do.
Actually, some of the people I speak of were teens. In addition to being sheltered, that insulation works the other way, too. Parents often blind themselves to how grown up their kids really are.

I don't mean to imply that parents ought to not show concern, but that teens can be perfectly capable of "having something in common" with another generation.

When I was in my 50's, I still traveled quite a bit where I met a lot of backpackers and youth-hostelers abroad. I found that it was quite easy to relate to some (but not very many) under-20s that I met on the road, and even travel together.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, some of the people I speak of were teens. In addition to being sheltered, that insulation works the other way, too. Parents often blind themselves to how grown up their kids really are.

I don't mean to imply that parents ought to not show concern, but that teens can be perfectly capable of "having something in common" with another generation.

When I was in my 50's, I still traveled quite a bit where I met a lot of backpackers and youth-hostelers abroad. I found that it was quite easy to relate to some (but not very many) under-20s that I met on the road, and even travel together.
I've never had trouble getting along with younger people than I either. Been called Mom by lots of kids who weren't mine, but in this case, it is about dating.

For a teenager, I don't think men too many years older is appropriate. I wouldn't want my daughter going out with a man into his twenties, but three years older is ok with me. Kids just plain don't have life experience enough to have a lot in common with anybody more than three years older than they are for intimate type relationships.

Friendships and getting along are far different.

By the time someone is 18 and 19 and 20, it's different. Then age isn't important.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
If my daughter was under the age of 18, I'd have a little talk with mister 40 year old, behind her back, outlining the physical and emotional changes he'd go through if he as much as kissed my little girl.

Hopefully that would lead him to end the relationship by his own will, as I would've suggested.

40 year olds have nothing to do with anyone under the age of 18, and frankly, even 18 is grossly pushing it.

My fiancé is 21 and I'm 24, and even in that relationship the age difference shows sometimes.

Once you get into the mid/late twenties, you're informed and grown up enough that the age difference won't matter much anymore.

My father was 17 years older than my step-mom, and they're the best working couple I've ever seen. They had one real argument in 8 years.

But goes without saying that it wouldn't have been that way when she was 16 and he was 33, and frankly, like any normal 25+ year old, it would never occur to him either.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:31 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,599 times
the superintendent of schools here married one of his students when he was a high school teacher, he's a dirtbag with or without that on his shoulders though...

My wife and I started dating when I was 19 and she was just 17, and a senior in High School. I had already been working a full time job for almost 3 years and was 2 years graduated from high school AND trade school. I don't see the big deal here with 15 to 18, it's a little odd because the younger is not even able to drive yet, but it's up to the parent to lay down those rules LONG before dating begins...

Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM

106 posts, read 382,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
When I was 26 I was dating a 15 year old girl for a few months. Her mother did not like it, but she did accept it. We got along great but she lived way too far away so we ended up breaking up. Age is nothing me than a number. I have never dated a girl my own age. When I was 21 I was with a 38 year old woman. I see nothing wrong with either one.
That is straight up illegal. Could you not find anyone your own age dude? Just from coming across your post you seem like a sleazy pedifile. I'm sure I've seen you on Dateline a couple of times.

Her mom probably didn't know about it either. What mom would let their 15 year old daughter date a 26 year old perv?

As far as the 38 year old, what happend with that one? She didn't iron your shirt the right way? Or was the breakfast not good enough?

Get help.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
the superintendent of schools here married one of his students when he was a high school teacher, he's a dirtbag with or without that on his shoulders though...
When I was in high school, there were 3 male teachers who had affairs with students and ended up marrying them. One had 6 little boys and was married. He got a divorce. Another was married and divorced to marry the student. The third wasn't married.

There was a fourth teacher who had numerous affairs with students as young as 14, was married and had 4 little kids.

And that was during the four years I was there. Don't know what went on before or after, except the lesbian gym teacher who had an affair with a girl student. They stayed together for years after.

Nothing was ever done about any of them.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
If my daughter was under the age of 18, I'd have a little talk with mister 40 year old, behind her back, outlining the physical and emotional changes he'd go through if he as much as kissed my little girl.
That suggests you are an overgrown 12-year-old, and, supposing your "little girl" was of legal age in your state, the 40-year-old would be legally and morally justified in handing you the teeth he knocked out of your mouth in response to your impertinence.

Quote:
40 year olds have nothing to do with anyone under the age of 18, and frankly, even 18 is grossly pushing it.
According to....?

Quote:
But goes without saying that it wouldn't have been that way when she was 16 and he was 33, and frankly, like any normal 25+ year old, it would never occur to him either.
That doesn't "go without saying", at least not to anyone educated in human relations--as opposed to having a package of inherited and silly misconceptions about them.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:55 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
When I was in high school, there were 3 male teachers who had affairs with students and ended up marrying them. One had 6 little boys and was married. He got a divorce. Another was married and divorced to marry the student. The third wasn't married.

There was a fourth teacher who had numerous affairs with students as young as 14, was married and had 4 little kids.

And that was during the four years I was there. Don't know what went on before or after, except the lesbian gym teacher who had an affair with a girl student. They stayed together for years after.

Nothing was ever done about any of them.
Does anyone seriously want to suggest everyone was not better off then?

In our times, the fathers would be sucking tax dollars in prison and the mothers and kids sucking tax dollars on welfare, instead of demanding actual responsibility. Yes, that's a much better policy.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:37 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxndean View Post
That is straight up illegal. Could you not find anyone your own age dude? Just from coming across your post you seem like a sleazy pedifile. I'm sure I've seen you on Dateline a couple of times.

Her mom probably didn't know about it either. What mom would let their 15 year old daughter date a 26 year old perv?

As far as the 38 year old, what happend with that one? She didn't iron your shirt the right way? Or was the breakfast not good enough?

Get help.
If they didn't do anything sexual, it wasn't illegal, and for all you know 15 might be the AOC in that state. ...If there are states that have that AOC.

That said, if it was my 15 year old, I wouldn't allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That suggests you are an overgrown 12-year-old, and, supposing your "little girl" was of legal age in your state, the 40-year-old would be legally and morally justified in handing you the teeth he knocked out of your mouth in response to your impertinence.
It might be legal within the AOC, but the girl would've been under my care until the age of 18, in other words, I call the shots.

If he did hand my my teeth back I'd say thank you before showing him how it's really done.

Any 40 year old who has or wants to have a sexual relationship with a 16 year old has something going on, I don't want any person like that around my kids. Once the little nuggets turn 18, there ain't much I can do, but until then, there is.

You don't like my solution, I respect that, I don't like, nor think it's morally acceptable either. But I doubt I'd do it any differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting