Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a friend who, after I have passed on an innocuous email, will write back to tell me that according to snopes.com the email is untrue or inaccurate. I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, since of course I want to know that my cell phone number is not going to be turned over to the telemarketers, for example, but I do.
I guess the reason why you annoy people is that you seem to need to appear superior to them.
Yeah, this is why my own mother only gets my junk e-mail address.
Aren't you glad that your friend let's you know that you can stop worrying about your cell phone number and that there isn't lead in lipstick. I'd bet if you actually considered using Coke cola for birth control you'd be happy if your friend checked it out and let you know it won't work. Wouldn't you like to know before you start a local campaign against Oscar Mayer that they really do support the troops? And, I hate to be the one to tell you, but no matter how many times you forward the innocuous e-mail to your friends, Bill Gates isn't sending you any money.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times
I send the snopes link to people that send me those ridiculous forwards. Usually stops them after one time.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
SPEAKING OF EMAIL FORWARDS:

I exchanged email addresses with a dear friend who had moved to another state. She subsequently sent me tons of those rediculous forwards constantly.

I sent her an email and asked her to not send me those forwards----that I loved her and wanted to hear about HER and HER family and HER life.

I never heard from her again.

In all fairness, she was probably just respecting my wishes and was too busy to send personal emails (she was working full time, pursuing a PhD and was a single mother!) I also had changed email addresses because I stopped using AOL (yeah, it was that long ago!) She remarried and her name changed. Both of our families have since moved to new residences. We couldn't find each other and we lost touch!

Anyway, talk about wishing I had kept my mouth shut!

Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
You have to learn to let some thoings go and let tehm learn the lesson. But you may find that others see you making mistakes all the time. No one likes a know iot all or more approprately a person who thinks he knows it all. Being asked advice is different from wanting to run others lifes really.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,090 times
Quote:
I have a friend who, after I have passed on an innocuous email, will write back to tell me that according to snopes.com the email is untrue or inaccurate. I'm not sure why I find this so annoying, since of course I want to know that my cell phone number is not going to be turned over to the telemarketers, for example, but I do.
I guess the reason why you annoy people is that you seem to need to appear superior to them.
I am one that does that when I get one of those emails. I get annoyed at people who send forwards and before sending something around like that, you need to make sure it is a valid/truthful email. I LOVE snopes.com and I always bring up the page about that email and send it back to the sender. It amazes me how long some of those things have been around and people buy into them...

Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseannad View Post
True, I guess i just feel the need to point it out, but you're right, if they don't see it, who cares?

I got called condensending because they assumed I was trying to sound above them. Its hard to read too much into text as far as emotions. But I wasnt trying to be. I really was just curious what everyone else saw that I didn't.
::waiting to see if others in thread refrain from pointing out obvious grammatical and spelling errors::

Quote:
Example: The Walk sign comes up. I'm with my kids. But no one goes. So I ask...Why isn't everyone going? Seems a logical question to me, cuz obviously to me there's something they know that I don't.
If you see the walk sign come on and there are no cars, then walk. Why would it matter to you whether other people do, and what their reasons for not doing so are? Particularly if the others are unacquainted with you, this probably seems intrusive.

Quote:
Or like even online, people will claim to be something they aren't and I just point out "Oh anyone can claim things online, no one would know" and I'm called a troublemaker for pointing out what I simply thought an obvious and honest response. I mean cmon
But your right. If they can't see that or feel foolish because I pointed out something that was obvious and they didn't think about, thats not really my problem. If you wanna think that JoeStranger is an astronaut, knock yourself out. I was just saying anyone could claim anything they wanted but people just believe whatever you say. Whats so awful about making an observation?!
The implication here is that you're calling someone a liar. Yeah, I'd be irritated. Unless you know for a fact that ILOVETURKEY73 is really your sister, the psychotic poultry killer, and not a mild-mannered kindergarten teacher from Istanbul like she claims, be prepared for a negative reaction.

Quote:
lol its so hard to not point out the obvious tho, but I'll try.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,192,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I am one that does that when I get one of those emails. I get annoyed at people who send forwards and before sending something around like that, you need to make sure it is a valid/truthful email. I LOVE snopes.com and I always bring up the page about that email and send it back to the sender. It amazes me how long some of those things have been around and people buy into them...
Honestly, I've just told everyone with whom I email that I don't open forwards. Ever.
Ostensibly it's because of someone who sent me something that infected my computer, but mostly it's because of one relative who has forwarded one adorable baby kitten photo too many.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,049,701 times
Quote:
People will make assumptions or follow a certain line of thinking and I'll point out some obvious flaw or loophole in it, and they'll get all pissy at me like I brought up some taboo topic. Like they know about it but no one's supposed to mention it and we're supposed to act as though the huge hole in the logic doesn't exist.

I'll get called a know-it-all or troublemaker simply for pointing out something that was obvious to me and I thought I was helping people out whom I assume didn't see it.

What am I doing wrong?
Your mistake is thinking that your opinion matters to the other person(s). Very few people want to hear anything other than your agreement with their line of reasoning. It's human nature. Just let it go. When someone wants your advice, he'll come asking for it and will be ready to listen.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:30 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
[quote=Laura707;13301379]I am one that does that when I get one of those emails. I get annoyed at people who send forwards and before sending something around like that, you need to make sure it is a valid/truthful email. I LOVE snopes.com and I always bring up the page about that email and send it back to the sender. It amazes me how long some of those things have been around and people buy into them...[/quote]

True! I've seen some that pre-date the Internet--they used to come around on paper.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:55 PM

17,353 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Your mistake is thinking that your opinion matters to the other person(s). Very few people want to hear anything other than your agreement with their line of reasoning. It's human nature. Just let it go. When someone wants your advice, he'll come asking for it and will be ready to listen.
I think it is human nature to want others to agree with your own line of reasoning, especially when you've taken a pretty emphatic stance on something.

But do you really want people to "play along," always agree with you and never question one of your own statements? I know I don't..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting