Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 05:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times

Advertisements

I saw the Twilight series books at T.J. Maxx today with baby books. I thought it was funny.. And yes, I'd let a 7 year old read them if they wanted to. I read through all Stephen King books before I was ten, I think my parents were just happy that I was READING and not getting in trouble. Reading is one thing but actually understanding what you read is a whole other thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Since TRU sells adult video games, I guess the fact that they sell the book isn't an issue to me. But I do wonder who decided to recommend it for 7 years and up. Is it a TRU thing, or is there some book rating group somewhere that decided that.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Since TRU sells adult video games, I guess the fact that they sell the book isn't an issue to me. But I do wonder who decided to recommend it for 7 years and up. Is it a TRU thing, or is there some book rating group somewhere that decided that.
Well, Amazon has it rated for 12 and up if that means anything.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:27 PM

67 posts, read 107,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Oh, I definitely agree with you. We have raised our girls according to our conservative views and "family" means everything to them. They have no desire to read, watch or play violent/adult themed games, movies, or books. Nor do they want to dress like little teenagers. They, themselves know the value of childhood, modesty and our family's morality. So, its not my own kids I'm worried about. I just found it sad and a bit creepy to see this stuff being marketed to seven year olds. Its bad enough that my 5th grader's school library carries this series and worse. But, that's another thread!!!

I'm so with you! I see no reason for a kid under the age of 14 to be reading these books or watching the movies. My kids also could care less about playing violent video games (really video games at all) or watch inaproppriate TV shows such as South Park, Secret Life, etc. Gotta love those parental controls on the TV (my kids are mad that I blocked PG rated stuff, but I'm the parent..)! I was actually VERY happy to find out my 6th grader thought oral sex was kissing after she came home the day of the human growth and development video in health class

Old 03-18-2010, 08:39 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproodle View Post
I was actually VERY happy to find out my 6th grader thought oral sex was kissing after she came home the day of the human growth and development video in health class
Being innocent is one thing, being ignorant is quite another. Talking about sex and what your child will be up against in the not so distant future should be discussed with her so she understands.

The kissing thing is cute though. Made me smile because I was extremely naive when that age. Led to very bad things though.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 PM

67 posts, read 107,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Being innocent is one thing, being ignorant is quite another. Talking about sex and what your child will be up against in the not so distant future should be discussed with her so she understands.

The kissing thing is cute though. Made me smile because I was extremely naive when that age. Led to very bad things though.
I know, I know. Usually we have the talk after they come home from school the day of the video, just to clear anything up and talk about the importance of being responsible. I thought it was pretty cute, though.

NoExcuses, how old were your kids when you had the talk? Slightly OT, but I'm just curious. I've always done it in 6th grade, when they watch the video.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
If you look at Toys R Us website the Twilight series is clearly suggested as for age 12 and up by them. Perhaps the one you were in doesn't devote enough space to books in order to clearly define age recommendations and that would be the issue that needs to be addressed.

Since TRU is viewed as a store that sells toys for everyone, hence the "I don't wanna grow up" theme song, then it makes sense they would sell for all ages in any category they carry. They just might need to do a better job of labeling in this case.

Of course, since it's rarely an issue that a 7yr old walks into the store and makes a purchase without
adult supervision, I imagine the ones buying the books are adults or teens anyway.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:27 AM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If you look at Toys R Us website the Twilight series is clearly suggested as for age 12 and up by them. Perhaps the one you were in doesn't devote enough space to books in order to clearly define age recommendations and that would be the issue that needs to be addressed.

Since TRU is viewed as a store that sells toys for everyone, hence the "I don't wanna grow up" theme song, then it makes sense they would sell for all ages in any category they carry. They just might need to do a better job of labeling in this case.

Of course, since it's rarely an issue that a 7yr old walks into the store and makes a purchase without
adult supervision, I imagine the ones buying the books are adults or teens anyway.
Good points. But I still found it "creepy!"

Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 AM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
But, I'm curious. Why would anyone want their seven year old to read this? What about the Animal Ark series, Magic Tree House Series, Box Car Children Series, or for advanced readers, Ann Martin's The Doll House People series, or Anne of Green Gables or any of a number of books with healthier, more age-appropriate themes like animals, friendship, kid adventures, history, etc.
I totally agree. There is no shortage of excellent children's literature out there - so many really good choices. I'd much rather my 7 year old read an age appropriate Newberry award winner...

But kids want to read what is currently popular, too. And right now that is the Twilight series.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
But, I'm curious. Why would anyone want their seven year old to read this? What about the Animal Ark series, Magic Tree House Series, Box Car Children Series, or for advanced readers, Ann Martin's The Doll House People series, or Anne of Green Gables or any of a number of books with healthier, more age-appropriate themes like animals, friendship, kid adventures, history, etc.

Because people are different.

I mean, I won't let my kids read the Bible because of it's content. But I'll read them some Edgar Allen Poe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting