Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

We've been to:

Presque Isle - absolutely beautiful and a great weekend getaway. We are probably going back this summer.

Hickory Run - we live close to this park and go to the beach there quite a bit. Very pretty

World's End - To be honest, my husband and I weren't too impressed with this state park though the swimming area is very, very cool. We were expecting better views and were under the false impression this was the "PA Grand Canyon".

Ricketts Glen - Beautiful, beautiful park!

We want to check out Pymatuning, Leonard Harrison & Colton Point, Greenwood Furnace, Jennings and Kinzua Bridge.

We've been to others that are not on the list too. Beltzville State Park is very pretty too. A ride on a pontoon in mid summer with the breeze = perfect lazy day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:55 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
DH and I have driven past Cook Forest so many times yet have never been there. We will be sure to visit this summer.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:59 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We've been to:

Presque Isle - absolutely beautiful and a great weekend getaway. We are probably going back this summer.

Hickory Run - we live close to this park and go to the beach there quite a bit. Very pretty

World's End - To be honest, my husband and I weren't too impressed with this state park though the swimming area is very, very cool. We were expecting better views and were under the false impression this was the "PA Grand Canyon".

Ricketts Glen - Beautiful, beautiful park!

We want to check out Pymatuning, Leonard Harrison & Colton Point, Greenwood Furnace, Jennings and Kinzua Bridge.

We've been to others that are not on the list too. Beltzville State Park is very pretty too. A ride on a pontoon in mid summer with the breeze = perfect lazy day!
You'll love Pymatuning. We sail and swim there a lot in the summer - DH has family there. Beautiful sand beaches, surrounded by forests. Favorite time for DH and I to swim is in the evening, before sunset (after the crowd thins out), or early in the morning. Don't forget to visit the Spillway, to feed the carp!

Edit: If driving through Jamestown to get to Pymatuning, check out "Hunger Busters" - best ice cream in Jamestown.
We stay at family's place in Crawford County, when visiting Pymatuning, and if you have kids, there is Maui Mike's, a nice water slide park without discouragingly long lines.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-18-2011 at 04:18 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 04:22 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Has anybody ever been to any of Pennsylvania's 20 "must-see" state parks? They are...

3. Cherry Springs State Park
5. Delaware Canal State Park
7. Hickory Run State Park
8. Hyner View State Park
11. Leonard Harrison and Colton Point State Parks
18. Ricketts Glen State Park
20. Worlds End State Park

So if any of you have ever been to any of these places, let me know what you thought.
My list above.

Cherry Springs for star gazing on a night with no clouds is something you'll be telling everyone (who'll listen) about for weeks.

Hyner View on a weekend to watch the hang gliders launch off the top is something you do not see elsewhere.

11, 18 and 20: Multiple return visits and never bored or disappointed.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
You'll love Pymatuning. We sail and swim there a lot in the summer - DH has family there. Beautiful sand beaches, surrounded by forests. Favorite time for DH and I to swim is in the evening, before sunset (after the crowd thins out), or early in the morning. Don't forget to visit the Spillway, to feed the carp!

Edit: If driving through Jamestown to get to Pymatuning, check out "Hunger Busters" - best ice cream in Jamestown.
We stay at family's place in Crawford County, when visiting Pymatuning, and if you have kids, there is Maui Mike's, a nice water slide park without discouragingly long lines.
Thanks for the recommendations! Pymatuning is on our list of parks to see this summer. Cannot wait!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Presque Isle has no equal.

I don't know about that. It is one of a kind and has a lot to offer, but it's also become over commercialized and over crowded in the spring, summer, and fall.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I have been to all of the top 20 listed except for World's End, Hickory Run, and Cherry Springs. I loved Ricketts Glen because I am a huge waterfall fan. Here are a few pics from Ricketts Glen SP:

Thanks for the great memories! When I was 24 and living in Erie, I planned a week long hiking trip that started in Ricketts Glen and then ended in Wellsboro and the PA Grand Canyon. Time of my life!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Salt Springs State Park in the Endless Mountains Region of northeastern PA (Susquehanna County0. It has some fantastic waterfalls and the scenery is gorgeous.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 AM

I'll be honest Clark - I've never heard of i! . Off to Google...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I don't know about that. It is one of a kind and has a lot to offer, but it's also become over commercialized
Overcommercialized?

Because you can rent bikes now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania