Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 PM

9 posts, read 34,233 times

Advertisements

My husband got an offer to move from ft.lauderdale to pennsylvania, maybe out side york pa. I 'm so nervous. Miami is so diverse with the different cultures an I'm not sure I'll find it up north. I'm Jamaican and he's American and we have two boys. When I looked up pennsylvania it made me nervous because the majority white. I'm not racist in any sense. I'm sooo use to Florida even when I complain about it. Lol. I love that my kids preschool you can find like everyrace in his class. I'm scared to move because I don't know if ppl are just gonna stare at us ! Don't know if there' gonna be any racial tension ? I can get along with any race it doesn't bother, but seeing less black ppl does. it does. I don't know just scared of now knowing how it is for blended families
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Not sure how it is in that area but I work with a black (Hatian) woman married to a white man. They don't have any problems around here (about 200 miles from York, small town) so you probably won't there. As for being stared at, well, yea maybe a little but that'll pass as locals get used to you.

Just hold your head up, smile, and be yourself.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Thanks instead of taking about it we will br visiting in a few weeks, I'm excited thank you

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times

Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
York City is a racially diverse community, the new mayor is a well regarded African American woman. Race riots are in York's past but decades into that past. Crime in certain neighborhoods is a significant issue but coming from south Florida you may be used to that.

Southern York County has become a bedroom community to Baltimore, development has leap-frogged over the state line due in part to development restrictions in MD and in part to a lower tax and lower regulation climate in PA. These areas might not be fully reflective of Baltimore's diversity but aren't totally in-bred redneck areas either.

Some of the older suburban areas especially northwest of York are not known for liberality or tolerance. When PBS does a two-hour hack job on your local school board (as happened in Dover), even though that board's been replaced there might be some issues.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:28 PM

17 posts, read 41,304 times
It's always scary facing a move when you know little about the area! Of course York, PA is definitely going to be different from Miami - I have really seen the climate in regards to racial diversity improve greatly over the years I have lived here (10). I do think York is changing due to all of the Maryland-ers moving up North & even that has brought greater diversity.

I live in North/West York in Central school district & find there is a good deal of diversity in comparison to other parts of the county.

I truly don't think people are going to stare or find it out of the ordinary at all to see a blended family - especially in the areas of much younger families.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,399 times
While I'm now living in NC, I spent a lot of my life in York County, PA. My suggestion would be to spend time in as many areas as possible because as was posted above, there are places that are decidedly NOT "mixed race friendly". Some of the York area has made progress but others are still stuck in the '70's. I'd visit shopping areas and restaurants to get a sense of what you'll be dealing with. As was mentioned, don't expect to find Miami in York, PA.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Well were renting our home and I hope things go fine. My husband left two weeks ago I just can't wait to move so were together again. We should be there by May 10

Old 04-24-2011, 06:21 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Hope all goes well for your family. Feel free to come back here and post your impressions, they are helpful to other folks!

Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 AM

Thank you all. I'm here in York P.A it's sooo beautiful! The people are very nice there is a difference from florida. I kinda like that not everyone serves liquor I see too may drunk ppl in fl. Here it's different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania