Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:03 PM

35 posts, read 136,973 times

Advertisements

Ok, Hello all. I'm currently living in North East Louisiana now and considering moving to PA in a few years. I believe around the Tioga county. My main goal here is to pay off all of my debt here and save up 100-200 thousand dollars. That way I can go up there debt free and buy a house. Preferably in the 80-120 thousand dollar range. My wife would come up there with me and she has a degree in computers, I on the other hand work shutdowns/turnarounds in chemical plants. I will be coming up there seaking a plant maintenance job. I'm wanting some place kinda in the country but not completely isolated from everyone. I would like about 10+ acres so I could hunt and ride my 4 wheeler on my own free will. What purchases would be necessary to move up north? Besides snow blowers and stuff like that? What are the people like? Crime? Weather? I've lived here all my life and we have a lot of racial tension here. I know up there it is mostly white people up there. And I also know there isn't near the crime up there than it is here. So any advice? suggestions on where to go? ANYTHING?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 06:25 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,691,335 times
Tioga County is very rural, so I'm sure you could find your house and land that you'd like. However, I'm not sure about jobs. You may end up commuting into New York state or over to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

In Tioga County you'd definitely need a snowblower or tractor with a plow (depending on the length of your driveway). You'd also want some good cold weather gear, such as coat, hat, gloves, scarf, boots, etc. You might want to invest in a snowmobile or ski equipment (downhill or cross country) also.

The area is mostly white people, as you say, except for the college town of Mansfield, where most minorities are students. Race relations are good - I'm sure nothing like Louisiana, which I've heard has many racial problems.

I'm sure it'll be quite a culture shock for you, especially during the first winter (if we have a tradiitonal winter - they've been quite mild lately). Good luck to you, and keep us posted.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:52 AM

7 posts, read 62,213 times
My father has lived in Tioga county since retiring nearly 20 years ago. He has 30 acres of land that he bought for a song and enjoys fishing and walking.

Race relations are hardly a problem. Mansfield is nearest town and offers some cultural diversity, due to the Unitversity.

The biggest concern that I see (other than the weather) is the boredom factor. And, aside from a local Walmart, everything is an hour's drive (decent restaurants, shopping, etc.). Also, be aware that while you may purchase a nice piece of property at a great price, the job market is practically nil. And to say low-paying would be a serious understatement.

If affordable property, hunting, fishing and 4-wheeling are your primary motivators, you could do a lot worse than Tioga County.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:06 PM

What place in pa would be a nice place for hunting,4 wheeling etc. and still have a job market? Mainly some kind of plant? I know that most plants are in bigger areas. but i heard that pa has a lot of plants. Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2007, 06:19 PM

518 posts, read 2,531,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickcdb2000 View Post
What place in pa would be a nice place for hunting,4 wheeling etc. and still have a job market? Mainly some kind of plant? I know that most plants are in bigger areas. but i heard that pa has a lot of plants. Any ideas?
Indiana County has several power plants. Theres plants in Homer City, Shelocta and Seward. Hunting and 4 wheeling are big in indiana county, especially in northern indiana county by marion center and rochester mills. Land is also cheaper in those areas.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:38 PM

i just checked the map and i dont see any state forest in indiana county. can you hunt in the state forest?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:18 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,329 times
there's no state forest in indiana county, but there are state game lands all over the county. you are permitted to hunt in state game lands.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM

Thank you everyone for your response, the more i look in the pa the more i actually dislike it. bunch of strange, confusing hunting laws. from what everyone is telling me here and in other forums that pa isn't the best state to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania