Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times

Advertisements

In googling this topic, I found a LOT of articles that indicate Pennsylvanians are particularly tired of the beer case law. Except for, surprisingly , this beer distributor, who hilariously calls the product he sells by the case one of the most abused drugs in the country. (Link to complete article below....the comments are pretty funny.)

Beer distributor Roger Ackerman said convenience is the only argument he hears in favor of grocery cafes selling beer. "It’s not convenient to get, and it should not be convenient to get," said Ackerman, owner of Mechanicsburg Beverage Distributor.

"It’s one of the most abused drugs in the country," he said. "It’s not an item that should be as convenient as bread and milk pickup. You can’t walk into a store and buy [the narcotic] Percocet off the shelf, and there’s a reason for that."

There are 12,000 places people can buy beer in Pennsylvania, including 1,300 beer distributors, said Ackerman, who worries that teenagers will get easier access to beer in grocery and convenience stores.

Oh, please. He's worried about teenagers.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...e_over_wh.html

Last edited by Avalon08; 11-19-2011 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: fixed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh, please. He's worried about teenagers.
"Teenagers" - My Chemical Romance

Old 11-20-2011, 05:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Unfortunately the beer is a separate problem. It's unlikely the folks in Harrisburg now will take the call to privatize state stores and turn it into overall reform of alcohol sales.

Complain to your local bar. Bars are the ones who make sure six-packs can't be bought anywhere else.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
More specifically, it is the PA Tavern Association who makes sure that bars are the only place to buy a six-pack. In order to make this change, you have to hit this association and its member bars enough that they'll be forced to change their position. The Tavern Association has better lobbying than I guess grocery and other retailers, and certainly than the beer distributors.

So if you know a bar belongs to this association, don't go there and tell them why you are not going there.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:51 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyTheHun View Post
I don't recall ever, and I'm not exaggerating, meeting someone who wants to keep things how they are. All this talk that Pennsylvanians don't want reform is bs.
No? I suggest you read this thread; it's quite entertaining (and not in a good way):

Why do Pennsylvania citizens put up with their alcohol laws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I hope they understand that it's not just that we want "private" liquor stores, we want the same convenience that we can find in NJ and DE.
When you consider the wine kiosk debacle -- no, I don't think they understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The only reason the PLCB survives is because of the store employees, the busybody Bible-thumpers, and groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving. They're the five percent of the people who make 95 percent of the noise on this issue. They're the squeaky wheel that gets the grease.
You forgot about the people who don't drink beer or wine or liquor, or any combination thereof, the people who don't really mind the idiotic inconvenience of driving three different places to pick up a six pack, a case, and wine and liquor, of people who are resigned to the system because "that's the way it is." Please do reference the thread linked above. And have a wonderful day.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No? I suggest you read this thread; it's quite entertaining (and not in a good way):

Why do Pennsylvania citizens put up with their alcohol laws!

When you consider the wine kiosk debacle -- no, I don't think they understand.

You forgot about the people who don't drink beer or wine or liquor, or any combination thereof, the people who don't really mind the idiotic inconvenience of driving three different places to pick up a six pack, a case, and wine and liquor, of people who are resigned to the system because "that's the way it is." Please do reference the thread linked above. And have a wonderful day.
That thread was pretty entertaining (and not in a good way). I would not say that the people who didn't want reform had any good reason for feeling that way, other than "that's the way it is and we're too lazy to try to change it". Seriously, how WOULD we change it? We're all supposed to start a mass campaign to write to our congressmen? How bout a big Facebook page? You know, these days, that's probably the last thing on people's minds to revolt about. Why can't we do Propositions like the other states do? (OK, I admit I'm not up on my civics.)

Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
why would teens need beer when drugs are available in just about every school?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,296 times
I was just in California this past week, and walked into a Costco. There was an entire aisle end dedicated to liquor gift sets. I ended up picking out a Glenlivet 12-year that came with 2 snifter glasses, for $25. There were many, many more that I would have like to get if it was only legal to mail alcohol.

I wish PA were more like this example...

Old 12-01-2011, 06:19 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
I was just in California this past week, and walked into a Costco. There was an entire aisle end dedicated to liquor gift sets. I ended up picking out a Glenlivet 12-year that came with 2 snifter glasses, for $25. There were many, many more that I would have like to get if it was only legal to mail alcohol.

I wish PA were more like this example...
I've seen the same thing in a NJ BJ's. I work in NJ so that affords me the convenience of having choices of spirits. I stock up to take home to PA. I usually don't patron these state store establishments in PA because of these stupid liquor laws. They'll never get a dime of my hard earned cash.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
I'm worried that a bunch of foreigners are going to buy the liquor stores, bring all their families over from their respective country and employ only their family members, and squeeze the native born American's out of working in that industry. This is just as bad as outsourcing, which I am frankly sick of! Keep PA liquor stores in American hands, even if it is state run, that is my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania