Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:00 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I'd would also like to know what happened to it !

I've read the Constitution and Bill of Rights many times and I just can't find it anywhere!

Somebody show me before I spend one more second looking!
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
That's right. No law establishing a 'state ' religion. I didn't see anything like that in the bill.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,054 times
This is such an unbelievable insult to William Penn.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,746 times
Quote:
I'd would also like to know what happened to it !

I've read the Constitution and Bill of Rights many times and I just can't find it anywhere!

Somebody show me before I spend one more second looking!
See. You're making a common and very silly error. Although the phrase "separation of church and state" isn't in the constitution, the CONCEPT is clearly embedded starting with the first amendment and continuing in subsequent laws and court interpretations. It is bedrock American law.

A similar thing would be the Historic Christian doctrine of the Trinity. It's taught by most all major denominations (Catholic, Orthodox, most Protestants and Evangelicals). Yet, the word trinity does not appear anywhere in the Bible. Christians accept what they believe is clearly taught without the actual phrase appearing.

In like manner, Americans accept the concept of separation of church and state without the actual words appearing in the constitution.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:58 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
Sounds like it was an easy way for the pols to suck up to the christian right. They can pull it out at election time. I'm sure that next year they shall declare it the Year of the Koran.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:26 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,225,216 times
I'd write to my state rep with my dislike for the 'noncontroversial resolution' as it's called, but at the moment I don't seem to have one. It was Chelsea Wagner, but she ran for another office and is no longer the Rep. According to Find Your Legislator my rep is currently Doyle from District 14, but his name doesn't appear in the vote count so apparently my district was not part of this nonsense.

However, I am a little annoyed there is no clear Rep for my district. Oh well, I guess the Bible will provide this year.

BTW, I learned of this gem in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, here.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Quote:
That's right. No law establishing a 'state ' religion. I didn't see anything like that in the bill.
Really? The state legislature declaring this "The Year of the Bible" is not the state declaring a religion? Unless they're also going to devote years to every other faith that exists in the state, this is the government promoting one specific religion.

The whole "Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between" is still proving to be true. If you took out Eastern and Southwestern PA, I think PA would make Mississippi and Alabama look downright progressive.

Even if you believe in the Bible, do you really need the state wasting their time and taxpayer money on this nonsense?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Really? The state legislature declaring this "The Year of the Bible" is not the state declaring a religion? Unless they're also going to devote years to every other faith that exists in the state, this is the government promoting one specific religion.

Even if you believe in the Bible, do you really need the state wasting their time and taxpayer money on this nonsense?
Next the year of the Koran, followed by the year of the Kama Sutra, I hope

Old 02-03-2012, 02:28 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
The whole "Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between" is still proving to be true. If you took out Eastern and Southwestern PA, I think PA would make Mississippi and Alabama look downright progressive.
I think that's a bit extreme. The legislature wasn't too boisterous about this for a reason. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop some representatives from wearing the religion on their sleeves for pure pandering to the few right-wing theocrats amongst us.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,206 times
Quote:

Where in it does it say you have to follow it?

Where does it force a religion on you?

Where does it force you to attend a government sponsored religious event?

That clause is in the Constitution to prevent the government from establishing a quasi "Church of England."

I agree it's mostly nonsense but it's also benign.

I see no threat of a government religious bogeyman hiding behind every rock and tree. It's apparent some people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania