Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:49 PM

18 posts, read 26,416 times

Advertisements

Sure we probably have more in common with the South then the rest of our yankee counter parts. Sure a lot of us listen to country music, fish, hunt, etc. Sure we would rather hang out around a campfire than have dinner downtown. We may be redneckish. But come on. PA is alright. We have the Northeastern attitude, the hospitality of the south and the charm of the midwest. Don't you guys agree. Please exclude Philly from the above.

I also just recently read that PA was almost part of the confederacy, if it wasn't for the pressure coming out of New York City and New England we would have been confederates. Never new that. This could explain quite a few things.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
I have no idea what you mean about other states looking down on us. I've lived in three states surrounding PA and never heard any trash talking about it. The talk in other states is always about some area or city in their own state - upstate NY vs. NYC, Lower Delaware vs. Northern Delaware, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:20 PM

I don't know. I always hear a lot of people from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut trash talking PA. Especially rural PA.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
I think you're confused with new jersey which is generally ripped on in ny and PA. NJ, of course, were a bunch of loyalists whose start as a state was by allowing people to commit fraud that was illegal in other states.
not sure about the whole confederacy thing but one of the reasons the capitol was moved out of philadelphia was because philadelphia was a hotbed of abolitionism which the southerners didn't trust. ny, on the other hand, saw it was a way to undercut philadelphia as a rival. I reckon NYS has people who like to hunt, fish, and get all brokeback. ; )

Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM

74 posts, read 107,533 times
Default Pennsylvania - Confederate?

Never heard that one. Not sure it would have been pressure from NYC which had a fair share of southern sympathizers. As did Philadelphia, but do not think ithe state was close to joining the confederacy. Awful kot of Pennsylvanians fought for the Union.
I think some of this link to the south we see in rural PA today is more recent in time

Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg354 View Post
Sure we probably have more in common with the South then the rest of our yankee counter parts. Sure a lot of us listen to country music, fish, hunt, etc. Sure we would rather hang out around a campfire than have dinner downtown. We may be redneckish. But come on. PA is alright. We have the Northeastern attitude, the hospitality of the south and the charm of the midwest. Don't you guys agree. Please exclude Philly from the above.

I also just recently read that PA was almost part of the confederacy, if it wasn't for the pressure coming out of New York City and New England we would have been confederates. Never new that. This could explain quite a few things.
I agree. I remember getting this vibe while living in New Jersey. It came through in things people would say.
But, I like your saying that " we have the northeastern attitude, the hospitality of the south, and the charm of the midwest." (in Pa.)
That is always how I felt about it.
Anyhow, hanging out at a campfire is fun.
You can do both in PA, have a campfire and be at a restaurant. There is a restaurant in the Lehighton area where you sit by a river, campfires are going, chairs all around it...you can eat there and chill there too.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
The mistake that morons tend to make is assuming that rural culture is an extension of Southern culture. People are socially conservative in Montana; I guess it should be a Southern state, huh?

Quote:
Yeah, I never heard that either, and no, it explains nothing, because chances are it's bull****. And from my experience, the vast majority of people who don't like Pennsylvania have very high opinions of themselves.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 PM

Keystone Confederates <---- Here's for you Gnutella. I'm not knocking PA. I love my state. I just get this vibe alot from people north and east of us, with the exception of western and upstate NY.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-20-2012 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: removed rude comment

Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I agree. I remember getting this vibe while living in New Jersey. It came through in things people would say.
But, I like your saying that " we have the northeastern attitude, the hospitality of the south, and the charm of the midwest." (in Pa.)
That is always how I felt about it.
Anyhow, hanging out at a campfire is fun.
You can do both in PA, have a campfire and be at a restaurant. There is a restaurant in the Lehighton area where you sit by a river, campfires are going, chairs all around it...you can eat there and chill there too.

Lehighton huh, not sure which restraunt your talking about. I live in Hazleton, not to far from ya.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:44 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
the OP's description of the state makes it sound awful

fishing? redneck-ish? camp fires? what the.....?

and exclude philly? uhhhh isn't philly the largest population center in PA? isn't it like one of the largest population centers on the entire east coast? but according to you....we'll just skip over that minor little philly detail.... they dont count. .. they dont count because they dont fit into your lame description of the state... because ur description of the state does not accurately describe PA..... hence the reason we skip over Philly.

and PA does not invoke southerness....at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania