Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Every so often we hear stories in the news about child abuse, both sexual and non-sexual. Oftentimes it involves one or both parents getting arrested after abusing their child(ren) for several years, and oftentimes the neighbors come forward after the arrests and talk about how they felt bad for the child(ren) and never liked the parents. They all knew that something was going on, but they never had any of the details, nor did they ever have any evidence. Every now and then, some of them might have even notified law enforcement, but for one reason or another, nothing ever came of it. This scenario sounds familiar, doesn't it? It should, because it's exactly the scenario that Joe Paterno was in, regarding Jerry Sandusky. Paterno was the "neighbor" who didn't like the abuser and knew that something was going on, but never had any details or evidence, yet still notified law enforcement nonetheless.

It's interesting to me how the neighbors of the family with the abusive parents are forgiven for simply notifying law enforcement of the situation, yet people have been lining up for the last six months to **** on Joe Paterno's grave for handling the exact same situation the exact same way. It appears to me that there's a double standard here. Child abuse is child abuse, whether it's sexual or not, so one of the two following uniform standards must be enforced from now on:

1. If the neighbors of the abusive parents can be forgiven for not knowing much about what's going on, and, therefore, not doing much besides notifying law enforcement from time to time, then so can Joe Paterno.

2. If the way that Paterno has been treated during this scandal is fair, then all the neighbors of abusive parents throughout the country who knew that something was going on deserve to be stripped of their livelihoods and esteem for "not doing enough" to prevent child(ren) from being abused.

I tend to prefer standard #1, because none of them were the ones abusing the children, and we are all guilty of sins of omission during our lives. Standard #2 is just a gross overreaction driven by emotion, and devoid of logic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
He is not here to argue it ,, Plus he did report it ,, Sue Penn State themselves and Sandusky ...

Joe's loot is off limits according to the law ..
And for that I'm glad, his family have suffered enough through all this

Old 06-24-2012, 07:10 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Paterno was the "neighbor" who didn't like the abuser and knew that something was going on, but never had any details or evidence, yet still notified law enforcement nonetheless.
Paterno also let Sandusky keep an office at the football complex for another 8 years after hearing the McQuery allegations, giving him access to take advantage of the perks of the program. This would be like the neighbors in your example saying to the abuser, "Hey, feel free to use my basement, even when I'm not around."

No, I'm shedding no tears for Paterno's legacy.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:51 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Saw and expert on TV - a girly sort of professor type. He was passing his opinion on to the public that pedophiles like gays are just "born that way"....That they can not go for professional help because the doctor's duty would be to report the potential offender...That these poor people are victims and society has made it too difficult to get help..Well that made no sense what so ever - If gays say there are born that way and now pedophile experts now propose the same thing- and gays say it is not a sickness then if the pedophiles are "born that way"- why would this guy suggest going to a doctor? Can one take the cure and the other can not?

Of course they will say that gays do not harm anyone and pedophiles do..how sure are we of that idea? I don't see either of these types mentioned bring great healing to the world...just more garbage...

Old 06-24-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Paterno also let Sandusky keep an office at the football complex...
No, he did not.

No. He. Did. Not.

Am I clear?

The university Board of Trustees negotiated a "retirement" package for Jerry Sandusky with his lawyer. Part of the agreement included emeritus status and access to the university and the team's facilities, including his own office. Joe Paterno had nada zip zero zilch ****-all to do with it.

Quote:
No, I'm shedding no tears for Paterno's legacy.
Then may you burn in Hell for eternity if you have ever been guilty of the sin of omission at any moment in your life.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 PM

Are you seriously going to suggest that Paterno didn't have the clout to deny Sandusky access to the facility? Sorry, not buying that one.

And thanks for the lovely sentiment, it speaks highly of your character that you can have a mature discussion of a controversial topic.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously going to suggest that Paterno didn't have the clout to deny Sandusky access to the facility? Sorry, not buying that one.
No, he did not have the clout, and if he tried denying Jerry Sandusky access to the facilities, then he would have been fired and sued by the university, and maybe sued by Sandusky as well. Nothing was proven at the time; Sandusky wasn't arrested until eight months ago. The Board of Trustees are the real enablers and ****-ups here. Paterno is nothing more than collateral damage.

Quote:
And thanks for the lovely sentiment, it speaks highly of your character that you can have a mature discussion of a controversial topic.
Says the person who clearly doesn't know the facts before condemning somebody. It's called ignorance.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the lesson in ignorance.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the lesson in ignorance.
You're the one who's clueless about the structure of university administration, so if I'm teaching ignorance, then you're the best student in my class. Congratulations.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 PM

Weak comeback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania