Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,164 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing nightmarish stories about 422 east in am and west in PM. I'm wondering where and what times this traffic normally gets cooking? I'll be getting on 422 near Douglasville and getting off at Audobon (Norristown) exit. Where does the congestion normally start? or does it only really start getting bad towards the 76 interchange?
I would be traveling about 7ish in the morning and about 4 in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:05 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
You might be better off posting this in the General PA forum since the Lehigh Valley doesn't include this area.

In my experience driving 422 you would be hitting traffic just about the time that things start to pile up. I'd think things probably don't get too sticky until around Pottstown, but I haven't driven that way in a while so someone with more experience in the area can probably give you a better answer. As a rule though, 7 a.m. is just at the beginning of morning rush hour and 4 p.m. is just at the beginning of evening rush hour.

Action News 6/WPVI out of Philly usually has a pretty comprehensive traffic overview that covers all the way up to Berks County. If there are any serious issues you can probably find out about them there.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 6,164 times
Default THanks

Thanks for the information. I was looking for a Southeastern PA area but chose Lehigh Valley, I guess Philly would've been better. I'll repost to the general PA one. I just drove to the interview and there was no traffic but my times were not the same and it's still the end of summer. I need the job but hate the idea of and hour plus commute one way.....

Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I'm not a regular 422 traveler (thank heavens!), but I've seen it back up as far as the Royersford exit some mornings.

You could try 724 but I don't know how crowded that gets. Friends in Royersford use YeagerRoad/Black Rock Road (which ends at Egypt Road); again, I have no personal experience.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Yeah whenever I've driven that way any other time it's been pretty smooth sailing. Wish I could help you more! Hopefully people on the other forum will be able to help you out.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 PM

130 posts, read 310,504 times
Several folks I work with start where you are and drive all the way into town. Your standard traffic starts at the Saint Gabe's curve. But you will be off before the worst of it. And in the afternoon you will get to 422 before the bulk of the traffic leaving downtown or Malvern. You will still be in the car a good bit. But the flip side is you will get a lot more house for your money in Berks. You get used to the commute.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM

130 posts, read 310,504 times
I replied to your other thread. But I think unless there is a major accident the back roads will take you longer. Experiment with your times leaving the house. You would be surprised at the difference five or ten minutes can make. You will be getting off before the absolute worst point.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 AM

429 posts, read 654,381 times
I lived in Reading for 6 months before moving to a smaller town north. However, I work where I do a lot of local and regional traveling for surveys. I had a survey in Norristown for a entire week where I woke up in Reading and drove to Norristown to work for the week.

All in All the drive took roughly an hour to get too. It wasn't bad for the week, but everyday? Hell no. I would live closer to where I work. I left around 6 and would get to Norristown around 7ish. The drive went smoothly at that hour. There would be dense traffic from Pottsville on. However, it moved. I have sat on 422 to go to other jobs around Philly later in the day where it moved very slow if at all. However, the week I worked in Norristown, It went fairly smoothly even if it was thick. By the exit at Audobon is where it would slow down for me, but I was able to get off before it annoyed me. It seemed like it would be slow if I kept on 422 past Audobon though. The drive from the exit to the town of Norristown took a while. That is just because of lights and suburban traffic.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:19 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
On KYW I hear that traffic backups generally start at about the Oaks exit on 422 heading east. You're pretty much right in the rush hour both times although maybe you'll be a little bit ahead in the PM. I agree with Katwag on the housing issue.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
This thread has been moved from the Lehigh Valley forum and merged with thread with the same title.

That's going to be one yucky commute. Good luck!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-25-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania