Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,016 times

Advertisements

We have a month to month lease with our landlord. The house has been for sale since before we moved in and we knew this going in. The issue at hand is that we have been given no notice that abides by what our lease states. They are settling on April 12th and are taking over the property on April 15th. We have yet to receive anything in writing and our lease states a 30day written notice must be given either from us to him or him to us. I am at a loss with what we are to do and I have been looking for a new place but with 3 weeks left before all this is to change hands I am really concerned now. I have been looking for information on the time frame that we have so that I can make things happen in that time frame. Anyone know? I live in central PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
How did you find out they were taking over the property on April 15th? Someone told you.

When were you told? If you were told today, you were given 25 days notice. If you were told a few days ago, you were given 30 days notice. Count the days on the calendar. If they gave you written notice tomorrow, you'd have to be out by Friday, April 19th.

You're picking hairs here about the written notice. You could stand your ground and get yourself a few extra days by requiring notice or you can get your butt in gear and find a rental. You say it's too short of a time frame, but it's really only 5 days shorter. Those 5 days shouldn't make that much of a difference to you.

As to your question, your rights are according to what's stated in your lease. If you want to exercise those rights for a mere few days, that's your choice. I guess you could get an additional month by waiting until they show up mid-April and inform them then that they have to honor the lease and give you 30 days notice in writing. I just don't see the point in being tricky like that, especially since you knowingly signed this lease fully aware that the property was being sold and you'd have to move within 30 days.

What I'd do? I'd contact them and try to work out a date that's agreeable to both of you. Tell them the lease states you have 30 days if you really think those extra 5 days will make a difference. Don't count on getting any extra time from them beyond the 30 days.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:24 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,948,684 times
You can try contacting your county housing authority on tenant rights. At one time, during certain months of the year, they had to give 30 days notice, and during the months from October through April they had to give 60 days notice. Bottom line is what is stated in your lease. Are the new owners moving in? Or are they just assuming ownership and still continuing to honor the lease that allows you to live there? You need to contact your landlord and work out something that is agreeable and manageable.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 AM

200 posts, read 620,789 times
Maybe the new owners are keeping you as a tenant? Could that be why you weren't notified?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 PM

726 posts, read 1,230,249 times
The new ownwers have to move into the place you're living in order to be allowed to kick you out. They also must give you proper notice and your deposits back. You may also be able to get them to help you pay for the move.
Don't assume they are asking you to leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania