Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:09 AM

16 posts, read 63,416 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job opportunity in Bedford, PA. We are in Florida right now, and this would be a huge change for our family, especially my 4 kids who have never even seen snow, or autumn for that matter.

What's it like in Bedford? I've heard good things about the schools, that they are among the best in PA - but what kind of reputation does PA have for education, in general? Would we be able to find a place to rent? How about shopping? Where does everyone buy their groceries?

Thanks so much to all of you who can help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 05:30 AM

Anybody out there?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:48 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
It's going to be a huge change for sure.

The Bedford area is very scenic. You have a ton of recreational opportunities at your doorstep and the schools are decent.

But the area is very blue-collar, the economy is based on warehousing/distribution and some manufacturing...so obviously the job market isn't very high-end or really going anywhere. If you are a Christian conservative, it's a great place to raise a family, you are going to be around a lot of your types.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM

Thanks for your reply, Dan. I'll let you all know if we decide to go! We are a pretty conservative family, so that's not a problem.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Well, I live about 45 min west of Bedford (the city) and about 20 min to the Bedford County line. I don't live in Bedford, but have driven through and around it and know several people who live in the county and town.

Beford county is rural. The town is small, but friendly. Very low on crime. Good schools. It has great scenery, historic district, Fort Bedford, Bedford Springs Resort (newly refurbished and fabulous) and many small, quaint towns and many covered bridges. Lots of recreation and outdoor activities. And the annual county fair

The PA turnpike runs through Bedford, as does Route 30. There's tourism and all that goes with it. There's UPMC Bedford Memorial, a well reputed hospital affiliated with UPMC out of Pittsburgh. There are downtown shops as well as mall-type stores. Wal-Mart is in Everett -- just a couple clicks down the road and their distribution center is near Bedford also. There are plenty of restaurants, esp. near the turnpike interchange.

Jobs are warehouse/manufacturing/blue collar mainly.

Try this link for add'l info: Bedford County PA - Pennsylvania Visitor Information

Old 03-24-2009, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,075 times
Would someone please tell me what there is to do around here? I have read several times about lots of recreation and outdoor acivities. Besides golf and a park with some ducks you're not aloud to feed, what else is there? I love taking each of my kids someplace special and fun as often as I can. They are 2 & 5. Please help!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Church and family activities are big for my in-laws in Bedford County.

Bicycling on an abandoned superhighway: Pike 2 Bike Tunnel Trail is something to do, the "closure" smacks of "don't sue us" more than "keep out or be shot." Plenty of lanes of no traffic to ride a Big Wheel, or go in the bike trailer.

Can also try hiking and geocaching - asking permission at Bedford Springs to go on their trails across from the big hotel would be an easy start. Shawnee and Warriors Path state parks are places to start getting outside too.

Our little girl likes climbing over rocks on the trail, and the Mid State Trail through Bedford County has plenty of those. Call Deb Dunkle at Dunkle Services and she'll clue you in.

Rainy day fun for little squirts can be had at the Slinky Action Zone just far enough off the Plank Road strip in Duncansville to be hard to find, and the lack of web site doesn't help either. It's listed on here: Things to do in and around Bedford County, PA It's kind of like a Chuck E Cheese with age separated areas.

Our daughter liked visiting the sculptures at the bottom of the The Inclined Plane - Johnstown, PA - U.S.A. - to get there from the bottom parking area, you go to the left and go through a door that looks like it goes to a mechanical room, but it's a public stairway. And of course riding the plane and visiting the playground at the top of the steps on top too.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM

23 posts, read 67,486 times
How is the local Movie theatre(Pitt Theatre)

Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 11,324 times
Hello.
The movie theater has one movie at a time. But that seems sufficient unless it is a blockbuster, but you can travel to Altoona or Johnstown. In fact Johnstown has a drive in, in the summer. Which i love.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 11,324 times
Incidently, I moved from Pittsburgh to Bedford county.
I met my husband and this is where we moved.
Not alot of work here compared to Pittsburgh, but the area is beautiful and the people are nice.
Low crime is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania