Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 PM

22 posts, read 107,257 times

Advertisements

I've also lived in the suburbs or Chicago, as well as DC and Philly. The best areas around Reading are Wyomissing, Sinking Spring, and West Lawn. They are very safe, relaxing areas with great schools and wonderful recreational opportunities. Compared to the nice suburban places I've lived, these suburbs of Reading are comparable. It's a wonderful place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,019 times
how are things in your search. I am new to this site, and see that you posted this a few months ago. I am also a new 3 yr resident in PA Berks County area, formerly from central NJ. My daughter lives in the Mt. Penn area. Any questions, feel free to contact me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorandsean View Post
My husband has accepted a job in Reading and he starts March 08. We need to relocate from central NJ and neither one of us has any idea where we want to rent (first) and then possibly buy after a year or so, if we like it. We are:

early 40s
childless by choice
very active (running, hiking, etc.)
politically liberal

We'd like to find an area that demographically approximates us, although we've lived in the city of Chicago and rural Indiana (and now suburban NJ) so we're pretty cool with most people - friends are everywhere if you look - we just have found that being childless makes us outsiders in a lot of places. On the other hand, since schools aren't a consideration (until we go to buy), it might open up more rental areas.

All thoughts are appreciated. Happy New Year!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:01 AM

35 posts, read 108,906 times
Thanks for inquiring. We wound up living in Lancaster, renting a place about a mile outside the city limits. My husband commutes 30 minutes each way to Reading. So far it's OK, we haven't met any people but we're working on that. First we're trying to unpack all the boxes! We're also trying to get used to how crowded all the restaurants are, and I'm trying to get used to having to drive everywhere (in NJ I could walk to the bank, drug store, gym, hair salon, library, etc.) That I have to say I really miss!

Old 06-06-2008, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,019 times
I know what you mean by things not being so convenient with shopping, banking, etc (especially with today's gas prices) - I have to drive everywhere too. I think Lancaster is a nice area, I live about 20minutes from Reading. Right now, we are touring in Japan - it is beautiful, clean, people are nice. I have met people from the area, lucikly - my next door neighbors are super nice. They have kids, but the kids are older (like mine) - so we didn't meet because of the kids, but rather social interaction with other adults. If you are ever in the Reading area and want to go to a restaurant, let me know - I'll gather up my neighbors and my other daughter and her husband and we can meet in a nice place for dinner and drinks, just lmk, no pressure. OK, well ttyl. shelia

Old 06-07-2008, 06:22 AM

35 posts, read 108,906 times
Thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdamethyst View Post
I know what you mean by things not being so convenient with shopping, banking, etc (especially with today's gas prices) - I have to drive everywhere too. I think Lancaster is a nice area, I live about 20minutes from Reading. Right now, we are touring in Japan - it is beautiful, clean, people are nice. I have met people from the area, lucikly - my next door neighbors are super nice. They have kids, but the kids are older (like mine) - so we didn't meet because of the kids, but rather social interaction with other adults. If you are ever in the Reading area and want to go to a restaurant, let me know - I'll gather up my neighbors and my other daughter and her husband and we can meet in a nice place for dinner and drinks, just lmk, no pressure. OK, well ttyl. shelia

Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 AM

17 posts, read 66,085 times
If you don't mind me asking what hospital? Reading is a good place to work at and St. Joe's is a little further out along 183 so it's a little hike on route 61. I'm sure you guys already moved since its already August 2009 and your hubby started working in March 2008 correct?

Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrh5103 View Post
I've also lived in the suburbs or Chicago, as well as DC and Philly. The best areas around Reading are Wyomissing, Sinking Spring, and West Lawn. They are very safe, relaxing areas with great schools and wonderful recreational opportunities. Compared to the nice suburban places I've lived, these suburbs of Reading are comparable. It's a wonderful place to live.
Agreed. Good post. West Reading on Penn Ave. is pretty nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania