Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 11,738 times

Advertisements

So, I am looking for information about the Bedford area and surrounding areas. I have gotten all the stats and spent a lot of time on the real estate sites looking for land. I can see from Google Maps that the area is what we are looking for. We have been to the Lancaster area many times and although it is quite scenic, it has gotten very built up over the years. We would like to relocate to an area that retained it's country charm and is avoiding the development that some surrounding areas are welcoming. Once I have a few lots picked out, I will visit the area and see for myself. But what is hard to tell from the websites is the culture of the area. Is it as nice as it seems? Will it retain it's country charm in decade or so?

When are you moving? Most likely not for a few more years, (maybe 5).
Where are you coming from? Long Island, NY
Why are you moving? Retirement
Where will you be working? If we work, it just may be for fun. However, I want to volunteer.
Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Want to buy at least 10 acres and build house and barn/shed.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Up to $400,000 for combined land and building.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Marriied, no children
Do you have pets? No, but we are considering getting a couple of rabbits, maybe a mini goat.
Do you want or need a yard? Yes, we want a large vegetable garden and many flower beds.
Are you keeping a car? Two
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and Quiet

What do you want to be closest to? Basic services and church. Trying to get away from traffic and close neighbors.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 03:58 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I think this looks like a great area that fits your criteria. I don't know if it's possible to get that much land for that price, especially in five years, but perhaps someone in the middle of the state will weigh in on that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnymp4 View Post

What do you want to be closest to? Basic services and church. Trying to get away from traffic and close neighbors.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations
Let's cross off train/subway right away. You'll need those two cars to get around as the area can be quite scattered, isolated, once you get out of town.

Nightlife? No, not really. A late dinner at Ed's Steakhouse and maybe a sports event on tv at the local bar. Whole county pretty much quiets down after the sun moves west. A few annual events really pack the town for a day or two. You are well within driving distance to Pittsburgh and Harrisburg.

Basic services/shopping. All the shopping you want from the Wal-Mart on the edge of town. A good selection of local stores. Lots of antique marts and so on. You may have to deal with having a septic depending how far out you want to be, perhaps well water. Remember, some of this area is quite isolated.

Overall it's a very nice place that we're considering moving to in a few years ourselves. Spend a few days there when you can. See if you like how the place feels. South central Pa can be a wonderland for those who appreciate the pace or can be the start of a long relationship with boredom.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Let's cross off train/subway right away. You'll need those two cars to get around as the area can be quite scattered, isolated, once you get out of town.

Nightlife? No, not really. A late dinner at Ed's Steakhouse and maybe a sports event on tv at the local bar. Whole county pretty much quiets down after the sun moves west. A few annual events really pack the town for a day or two. You are well within driving distance to Pittsburgh and Harrisburg.

Basic services/shopping. All the shopping you want from the Wal-Mart on the edge of town. A good selection of local stores. Lots of antique marts and so on. You may have to deal with having a septic depending how far out you want to be, perhaps well water. Remember, some of this area is quite isolated.

Overall it's a very nice place that we're considering moving to in a few years ourselves. Spend a few days there when you can. See if you like how the place feels. South central Pa can be a wonderland for those who appreciate the pace or can be the start of a long relationship with boredom.
The OP was filling out the sticky from the top of the page. He/She didn't fill in some of it including interest in being near a train or subway, nightlife, shopping etc. The only thing they wanted to be somewhat close to was "Basic services and church. Trying to get away from traffic and close neighbors. "

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 11,738 times
Yes, that is correct. I copied the questions from the Forum Sticky. I suppose I should have just deleted those lines like I deleted the other lines that were not relevant to my situation. I am not in need of trains or nightlife. I do have a desire for basic shopping and church and volunteering opportunities, which I suspect would most likely be related to church. I spent some time Googling shopping in the area and I see a lot of basic shopping right in Bedford and a bit more over in Everett. Looks like if I need anything more than that like Big Box stores and Warehouse Clubs I have to go to either Altoona or Johnstown.

I want to buy the land now. I am trying to find a nice balance of being far enough away from developments and impending growth but not so far away that I feel like Grizzly Adams.

How do you see the Bedford area in 10 - 20 years? Still county like or filled up with big box stores and developments like Lancaster?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Bedford is just far away enough from the main drag that I see nothing in the way of major change. The only thing really going for it is the turnpike and they've had decades to benefit from that. I also don't see it declining in any way either. A few factories closed over the past twenty years or so but enough moved in to make up for the loss.

The big areas of change I see are around Adams County (Gettysburg). The area between I-81 at Chambersburg and I-83 through York specifically. That's a logical jump for those from Baltimore and Harrisburg.

Bedford is what it is and we can be thankful for that. Good luck and sincerely hope all goes well for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania