Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:04 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

Is Pennsylvania receptive to the the message of bringing back manufacturing or everybody is supposed to be writing apps? We used to have plenty here. We have Fleetwood, PA for a reason. I have stood in front of the shuttered plant. Sleepy Lock Haven was home to Piper. All that is left is a museum. Took this picture on one of my bike rides. Don't even remember where it is now. Sad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
That's the St. Nicholas coal breaker and has been partially scrapped at this point. Keep in mind the anthracite industry peaked in 1918, that was completed in the early 30's.

Anthracite is expensive relative to to other coals and has limited use for industry. It's primary use is domestic heat. It's also used for coking product and water filtration <gasp> applications as alternative to sand, if fractures into odd shapes. An anthracite water filter lasts much longer than sand which is round.

Even if we had rip roaring economy the demand for anthracite probably would not change that much but I'm doing my best to change that.

That said the anthracite still supports 1000's of jobs directly and indirectly. Mining, processing, trucking, heavy equipment, coal dealers, stove dealers and one thing that is often overlooked is the the jobs manufacturing coal burning units. All of the major manufacturers of these units are located in PA including EFM, AHS, Axeman-Anderson, Leisure Line, Keystoker, Alaska Stove and Reading Stove.

Buy coal, support your state economy in more ways than one.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:08 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Record numbers of registered PA Democrats are jumping ship: 'Ditch and switch': Trump may be behind mass Democratic party exodus in Pa., experts say | PennLive.com! 46,000 PA Democrats have switched since the beginning of 2016 to become new Republicans. That is twice the number of Republicans that have gone the other way.

My wife and I were Independents and only recently became Republicans for the very first time in our lives. It should be a very interesting Primary for PA.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Well, I heard stories like this before. Pennsylvania was supposed to be "in play" when Romney ran last time too only to lose the state big time. Of course primary is a whole different story. I don't see Rubio or Cruz carrying the state.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If that turns out to be true then Philadelphia and Allegheny counties must once again rule the day. The rural PA is the graveyard of once mighty industries. We have some real depressing looking towns. You would think Trump's message would resonate here. The flip side argument is that the generation that worked in those industries have passed on and their children have no longer any connection to the past.
Interestingly the states industries once depended on thee influx of immigrants. The entire state has struggled since the decline of manufacturing but that decline didn't start with nafta. Coal started its decline in 1918, places like Johnstown peaked before the depression. Danville is the same, steel put the iron business into decline, eventually steel left as well. What is the message? How will trump make America great? Declaring war on foreigners who buy our debt? The same way he made atlantic city great again?

Old 03-13-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Interestingly the states industries once depended on thee influx of immigrants. The entire state has struggled since the decline of manufacturing but that decline didn't start with nafta. Coal started its decline in 1918, places like Johnstown peaked before the depression. Danville is the same, steel put the iron business into decline, eventually steel left as well. What is the message? How will trump make America great? Declaring war on foreigners who buy our debt? The same way he made atlantic city great again?

But we are not allowed to talk about the issues. You will get censored like I got censored before. The establishment is spending hundreds of millions trying to stop Trump; that could backfire.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But we are not allowed to talk about the issues. You will get censored like I got censored before. The establishment is spending hundreds of millions trying to stop Trump; that could backfire.
Voting for trump could backfire. Who is stopping you from talking about "the issues?"

Old 03-13-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Voting for trump could backfire. Who is stopping you from talking about "the issues?"

Look at our moderator's post #4 and then look at my post #10 which she partially deleted.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Look at our moderator's post #4 and then look at my post #10 which she partially deleted.
Ah I see you meant it quite literally . Probably just as well, I haven't seen many productive political discussions

Old 03-13-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Ah I see you meant it quite literally . Probably just as well, I haven't seen many productive political discussions

I disagree with her; but then I am not a moderator. I feel that many of our National issues are also local or state issues and should be discussed. It is almost impossible to speculate about primary results without discussing the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania