Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 04:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
but goods still have to get from the warehouse to the retailers and consumers...and you had mentioned automation in a discussion of trucking, not logistics in toto.

The figure I quoted comes from this table on ZipRecruiter, which also gives the distribution of salaries across the industry. rthey range from a low of $30,500 to a high of $96,500 and the single largest category being just below the average figure.

Now, ZipRecruiter bases its data on jobs in its database, which does not necessarily capture all jobs in the industry. BLS data, which do, give the median annual earnings of over-the-road truck drivers as $22.79/hour and the median annual wage as $46,370 as of 2019. That works out to a median workweek of 39.128 hours.

Doesn't seem to me like that's all that low a rate of pay or all that long of a workweek, either, even if it's less than what the firms hiring via ZipRecruiter pay.

Those figures, btw, are better than those for workers in my field, reporters and correspondents. According to the BLS, the median annual wage for reporters and correspondents as of 2019 is $36,700 and the median hourly wage is $17.65. [I make about $11,000 more than that annually at my full-time job and earn about $7,500 a year more than that from a side gig.] And since reporters are exempt from wage-and-hour laws, our actual hourly wage may even be less than that. Talk about low pay....

(To give you a benchmark to measure these figures against, the median annual wage for workers in all occupations as of May 2019 was $53,490.)

Eh the point is..

The logistics industry is basically a net loss to the state. If you go to the Lehigh Valley or Susquehanna Valley you can see how bad it has become.

Basically the state is subsidizing development on infrastructure that cannot handle these large warehouses. Many are on two lane roads close to residential neighborhoods on old farmlands.

It is a mess.

And the entire logistics industry is continuing to move to automation, meaning the economic gain is just not there for the state.

If anything Pennsylvania should be taxing the whole industry. Not subsidizing it.

The Susquehanna Valley has some of the worst air pollution in the nation from all the truck traffic, not to mention the # of auto accidents. Just other metrics to explain how bad the logistics industry is and it is bad for the state to invest in overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania