Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 09:05 PM

12 posts, read 26,634 times

Advertisements

We, (retired H&W) 2 children 12 & 1... We love the rural areas and are mostly conservative in our views. Relocating from southern calif.. ugh... Can't wait to move! So... where would you move to if it were you? Good schools are great, but great schools that have an agenda are not good! We want our kids to learn reading, writing and arithmetic. Not how to vote in the presidential elections in the 3rd grade! Our monthly budget for housing (mortgage, utilities and insurance) would be in the area of $3000. per month give or take 500. Low crime and good air/water quality are important. We would love a bit of land (5 to 25 acres) but a charming small town property with a nice lot could change our minds. We plan to move in June 2021 and rent for the first year while we travel thru-out the state and take in all your recommendations for consideration. Furthermore, we plan to rent in and around the State Collage area as it is centrally located and has good freeway accessibility. Pros and Cons are appreciated as well as places that would be "don't ever move to..." So.... give us your humble advice. We don't care about any "why would you want to retire in PA? banter. Move to socal and you can find that out for yourselves. As we start this journey we will hopefully get the golden ticket and be forever grateful for the advice we receive here. We will also update any postings if we visit those places in our quest for the near perfect retirement home. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2021, 07:32 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Your rent budget will get you a nice townhouse or condominium in State College surrounded by grad students.

If you like more open and rolling country, look into northwest PA especially Crawford, Mercer and Venango Counties. Be aware that this area is in the "snow belt."

If you like a lot of hills, look at Tioga, Potter, Sullivan, Wayne and Bradford Counties in PA's northern tier.

If you would prefer a large farming area look at Fulton, Franklin, Adams and Cumberland Counties in south central PA.

You should also consider the state of New Hampshire.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:44 AM

Thanks for the great info. PA is very tax friendly for retirees, I'm not sure if New Hampshire is as well.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:55 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
I would stay away from State College. It is in a rural part of the state... but if you are looking for conservative. That it is not. It is hyper liberal with Penn State as its anchor. I would say you would not like seeing all the blue everywhere...

I would recommend Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. Really charming and cute town.

The Poconos have some nice towns as well. Many are getting crowded with people from NY and NJ moving there and it is also more blue than red.

You might like Adams County in Gettysburg. Beautiful area. Rural enough to feel relaxed while still close enough to bigger city amenities for the day... although many people from DC and Philadelphia are moving there so it is blue as well..

I would say maybe stick to Ohio or KY? Both states are far more conservative. Pennsylvania is a moderate state and not really deep red.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:58 AM

722 posts, read 598,771 times
I was born and raised in southern CA but have not lived there for many, many years. Still have family there (San Diego county). I also lived in the LA area for about 10 years. I'm probably the only person alive who doesn't like the weather there. LOL.

My husband and I are retired and moved last year to PA from Oregon. We wanted neither rural nor conservative so were looking of course for a different area than you, but it's been interesting to get more familiar with PA since moving here. Both Wells5 and rowhomecity are really informative posters on this subject!

You could probably get real close to what you're looking for by just searching the small towns/counties based on demographics; low density, lower education levels, predominately white, plus older and not too urban adjacent.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:03 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post

I would say maybe stick to Ohio or KY? Both states are far more conservative. Pennsylvania is a moderate state and not really deep red.

"Pennsylvania is Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with Alabama in between." James Carville

The OP is looking for rural areas. There are very few homes on acreage in the Poconos and most homes are in HOAs.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:36 PM

As we are coming from Los Angeles county, the blue wave is something we are so use to that it's not an issue due to the fact we are only planning to rent in State Collage for the first year and will be spending most of that time road tripping to find our permanent home elsewhere. Wellsboro is very beautiful indeed, however I have been told the school/property taxes are high. The idea that a below average school system is something we are looking for is not an statement we implied in our original post. Just that we want our children educated not indoctrinated! We also feel that as conservatives, moderate states like PA that have a balance is the best of both worlds. Also as a blended Hispanic family, being in a predominately white neighborhood is not a prerequisite for the area we wish to call home. Keep the comments coming... but please be a bit more specific as to actual towns to check out.. thanks

Old 05-01-2021, 10:15 PM

8,056 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The OP is looking for rural areas. There are very few homes on acreage in the Poconos and most homes are in HOAs.
There are houses on acreage in Shawnee with no HOA. The one across the road from me on 4 acres just changed hands. But this is definitely Volvo and Subaru territory. For a more pickup truck area, I'd look at Danville and environs.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:07 AM

755 posts, read 472,162 times
Bedford and Adams counties fit your bill. Bedford is a little more conservative a little farther west, and less likely to change its political alignment anytime soon. It's a world apart from SoCal. You also have a little milder winters than NEPA. Only a couple hour drive from Pittsburgh and Washington if you get an urge to incite something (e.g. Whiskey Rebellion, 1/6/21). Just kidding! Bedford Springs Omni Resort is beautiful if you plan to visit the area. I believe taxes are relativey low in both areas. Sorry but I can't say much about the schools. Try Niche.com (a Pgh-based company BTW).

Old 05-02-2021, 06:24 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
The Eastern portions of Pennsylvania have a size able Hispanic population.

Stroudsburg, PA might actually be the place for you. It has a cute downtown area and you can quickly leave it to be in a more rural area. The acreage might be an issue though.

Also Wellsboro property taxes are high but lower than some others. The town is very cute and offers quite a bit for families given its size. It definitely is not diverse but it is quite conservative.

Honestly though, most of Pennsylvania is moderate whether they are Independent, Democrat or Republican...

State College is also a lovely area. That part of Pennsylvania has voted blue since the 90s I believe so you won’t be in a conservative area that is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania